Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by alakaboo » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:09 am

Sweeney sports is paid for in part by Surfing Australia.
There are also a number of methodological issues with their survey in question format and sample selection.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:18 am

Surfing Australia is using the numbers from the Gemba sports marketing group and they come up with roughly double that number: 2.7 Million Recreational Surfers (Gemba 2010)

Which is roughly ten times the figures quoted by Nick. Helluva lot of difference between the data sets.

Nick, where are those ABS stats located?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:50 am

just go have a look at their amazing site.

it's extraordinary. Australian Yearbooks going way back, incredible detail about all sorts of fascinating stuff. A huge educational tool those Yearbooks, you can parse out so much about how this nation and its many parts have moved through the past century and a half. (A lot of prior detail in the Yearbooks takes you back into the 1850s and beyond.)

SA and the ISA both have a massive vested interest in inflating surfer numbers, they lead directly to large tranches of funding. In fact in numerous documents and press releases etc SA claims a number of 3.5 million. Even a moment's reflection will suggest this is complete nonsense. That's 15% of the entire population of Australia. On average that'd mean there were 600,000 surfers in Sydney alone, or (since there's 40-odd surf beaches in Sydney) about 15,000 surfers at every beach. It's fantasy stuff.

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:07 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Well I don't think it is .1% overall, though maybe it is where you surf cranked. As mentioned above, there are 22,000 surfers belonging to boardriders clubs in Australia right now. The Aust Bureau of Statistics reckons there is about 226,000 committed surfers in the country (like people who surf regularly as opposed to once a year or less). So in Australia, its somewhere around 10%. I would hazard a guess that when it comes to the number of most committed surfers among that 226,000, the 10% belonging to boardriders' clubs would be over represented. That might be a clearer picture of where a sense and knowledge of competition surfing dwells in Australia.
Belonging to the club doesn't mean they're all actively competing or even surfing regularly if at all.

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:48 pm

If it pleases the judges, I would humbly like to take small credit for planting the seed that has generated an apparent collective (with notable exceptions) that competitive surfing to adjudicate "the best surfer" is largely a collective wankfest! Thus as it ever was. If you can't truly measure it, you can't truly manage it. Hence the faux attempt to scientifically adjudicate it down to one hundredth of a point in scoring. Watch for the Brazilian chap to be crowned. Should spark up sales on the South American continent.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:51 pm

Get back on the drugs mate.

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:55 pm

Thanks you Dr. Beerfan. I will take your advice immediately. :~ Nurse!

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:47 pm

Drailed wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:
rmb wrote:Nick do you enjoy watching women's surfing? Before The Maui Pro I was selling all my surfboards and taking up photography but this has reignited not only my interest in pro surfing but the sport as a whole.

Also as a bonus it gives me plenty for the wank bank. Does Women's surfing do the same for you.
OK, yes I like watching girls surfing and I like surfing with 'em

I do not put that in the wank bank, no.
Agreed. Nothing worse then seeing blokes try and flirt/crack on with chicks in the surf. As if it's not intimidating enough for a lot of them to be surrounded by blokes out there, just be nice and show some respect.
I just cannot fathom whats wrong with you two there is nothing better than watching some female surfing or paddling around the line up salivating over some of the fine ladies partaking in the sport then going home with plenty in the wank bank. :-D-:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:23 pm

Matticus Finch wrote:I've now done each of the two sets of swimming drills Nick. Not sure if I'm meant to be settling into this and then reporting back or right away.

Feedback on the 6x150m - (2 pure freestyle on 3min, 2 50fs50back50fs on 3min20sec, then another 2 fs on 3min again)

1 F) 2 seconds rest.
2 F) 8 seconds over, no rest. (took me 3.08)
3 F.B.F) 10 seconds over
4 F.B.F) 10 seconds over
5 F) 1 seconds rest
6 F) 15 seconds rest but then I rested for another minute before the next bit cause I'd pushed it a bit on this last one and felt a little rooted.
Right away's good.

OK push the fs 150s out to 3min30 and the combo 150s out to 4min

the theory with aerobic swim sets is - swim at around 75-80% of your max pace and allow 10-15 seconds rest per 100m on the cycle.

You're doing fine, stay with it.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:54 am

Nick I have been watching mysurf TV due to a serious injury which drew my attention to the High Performance Centre are you aware of there programs and are they of any use to the average surfer? Sounds like a bit of a scam but I cannot say for sure.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:21 pm

I don't know nearly as much about their programs as I should.

I'm sure they have a pretty good act, especially around normal surfers, i.e. men/women who might be keen surfers but haven't done any structured work around technique and surf fitness. It sorta boggles me a bit that there aren't more surf coaching camps around for 35-55 year old surfers, it feels like a target market to me, though a tough one in some ways (we all have lifelong bad habits in our surfing and breaking people out of that is hard work) at least grown-ups have brains that work.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:59 pm

Well half the time anyway :-D-:
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:01 pm

I know what you mean, I used to play golf with a bloke who had the most diabolical swing Iv ever seen. He went and got a bunch of lessons from a pro, who got him to keep his arm straight, strengthened his grip and had him rotate properly through the ball. A couple of months later old mate was having a shocker and was swearing and cursing his way around the course. Then he addressed the ball with his 3 wood and, using his old swing, he put the ball 1mtr from the flag. Old habits die hard in all sports.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:19 pm

spork wrote:I know what you mean, I used to play golf with a bloke who had the most diabolical swing Iv ever seen. He went and got a bunch of lessons from a pro, who got him to keep his arm straight, strengthened his grip and had him rotate properly through the ball. A couple of months later old mate was having a shocker and was swearing and cursing his way around the course. Then he addressed the ball with his 3 wood and, using his old swing, he put the ball 1mtr from the flag. Old habits die hard in all sports.
Hey wait.
You play golf?

And you drive an Alfa?

Have we got you in the Tard of the Year comp?
If not, why not?
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:21 pm

spork wrote:I know what you mean, I used to play golf with a bloke who had the most diabolical swing Iv ever seen. He went and got a bunch of lessons from a pro, who got him to keep his arm straight, strengthened his grip and had him rotate properly through the ball. A couple of months later old mate was having a shocker and was swearing and cursing his way around the course. Then he addressed the ball with his 3 wood and, using his old swing, he put the ball 1mtr from the flag. Old habits die hard in all sports.
Golf ?

Dear lord
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:09 pm

fongss wrote:nick....looking around the car park as blokes get changed

ive noticed surfers as a majority have very small dicks

is this what your found in your travels :?:
Now fong, present company accepted its probably worth pointing out that cold water does tend to make your old fella less expansive :-o
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:26 pm

Sorry Trev the retard. Forgot this was the public zone
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:35 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Fri May 29, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.