Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by godsavetheking » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:43 pm

Well beany, it sounds like you need the Paddle PillowTM
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:12 pm

Thanks GSTQ but most of my regular arm trouble manifests itself as an arthritic kind of ache in my wrist when I first paddle out and wrestle a few duck dives. I find if I dive in the water as I enter the surf this sends enough water through the wetsuit to avoid the constriction that brings this on. It usually last about three or four minutes and then it goes away as the wetsuit hydrates if I don't.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:19 pm

Trev wrote:Plenty of other exercise Nick. Riding, walking mostly. Some kayaking.
You're right. I don't and never have kept records of what exercise I do nor of what food/ fluids I take in.
All I know is that I'm healthy according to my doc. And when I need to do extra exercise, like recently 4 days clambering over the 15' high cliff which constitutes my son's front yard, clearing an accumulated 30+ years of trees and scrub with a chain saw, I'm still alive.
Sorry Nick. I think this sounds a bit facetious. It's not meant to be. I'm really just trying to explain why I don't make a big thing about eating and doing healthy.
I DO overeat and not always healthy stuff but my wife makes sure I eat healthy meals most of the time.
I appreciate your taking the time to explain the weight loss and offer suggestions on how to hydrate.
Beer sounds good :-o
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:17 am

Nick Carroll wrote:at least in the ocean you'll have someone there who can pull you out.
Interesting ... I didn't realise that swimming pools were so lonely.

The ocean is a pretty big space ... so are we talking open or surf zone ?

One wouldn't be inclined to include Kurrawa in this equation ... would they ?
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:54 am

Nick Carroll wrote: I gently recommend to any Realsurfers that if they do something that changes their exercise pattern (i.e. go on a surf trip etc) that they consciously replenish the fluid baseload in their bodies on a daily basis, if not more often. Best done with a diluted version of an electrolyte drink (i.e. Gatorade or other). Beer works, but not as well.
Bintang in Indo works for me.

I need to start swimming in a 50m pool again. Not a fan of 20/25m ones.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:40 am

Legion wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote: Now if you are a normal surfer you do not form a hydration pattern around your surfing behaviour and thus do not replenish this fluid store.
Well, you can't ... which leads me to another Ask Nick question:

I do have a normal(ish) hydration pattern from day to day but I'm loathe to drink much with modern wetsuits during winter. Stewing in piss for a couple of hours isn't a good thing. So if I know it's a big surf day I will hold back on my usual water intake for fear of the permanent stinking wetsuit and the piss-stinking Legion post-surf. After I get home I gorge on liquids to replenish. Years ago pissing in a wetsuit was OK because it would be flushed so regularly. But now - I hold on and wait until I get home. Given my penchant for long surfs, this can make winter surfing much less enjoyable than it once was. Any tips for managing this problem?
Well I'd just suggest adapting a bit. Don't try to drink a whole lot of liquid right before surfing. Keeping the fluid stores up doesn't require immediate pre exercise gorging, indeed it can work against you by forcing urination during exercise, as you're experiencing in your wettie piss stew. You'll do better just taking on small but constant quantities throughout the day. I also suggest taking a piss before paddling out if you can.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:41 am

Nick, you mentioned bone ache in another thread. What does this actually feel like?. The lower bone on my leg, right where it joins the knee via the tendon, is constantly tender to touch. If I walk a lot it gets a little worse. Is this what you mean? It's no big deal but annoying.

The knee cap itself gives me no pain ever, just the bone underneath. I'm guessing it's either from when I snapped the knee cap ( though my knee cap was what gave way ), or the surgeon manhandling bits n pieces together while screwing, drilling and wiring my knee

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:17 pm

Bone ache comes and goes during the second phase of bone healing. It's not a tenderness, just a deep ache in the area of the break.

You're probably just bugging the tendon a bit with renewed exercise.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:21 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:57 pm

Legion wrote:When I had tendon issues once, a doctor told me that tendons take a long time to heal because they stop hurting.
Also because they are very slow at regenerating, including due to the reasons you stated. Injury repair = regeneration of injured part. Skin, for example, heals quickly because the new cells get in and replace the damaged ones almost immediately; tendons take forever.

Ok, this should probably be in a girly thread somewhere, but I'll ask Nick instead. Whats a good liquid soap/bodywash for the shower post chlorine pool swimming? Prefer the liquid stuff for convenience. I've tried a bunch of products but end up still smelling like a pool - I often swim during lunch hours so this makes be very popular back in the office

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:55 pm

Swimming pool smells.
I'll have a go.
Perversely, the strong chlorine smell usually means that they are not using enough chlorine. Water quality varies a lot between swimming pools.
Obviously, the hair can be a very effective smell retainer. Most of us have probably experienced smelly hair from smokey bars. A quick shampoo and condition should solve this.
Also, perhaps non-intuitively, some find a shower before swimming helps. Strips off some of the body oil chemistry that is maybe accentuating your residual pool body odour.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:27 pm

Nick, have you thought of writing an advice book for old decrepit surfers?
Obviously as you can see here there is a huge demand for it.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:18 pm

ctd wrote:Ok, this should probably be in a girly thread somewhere, but I'll ask Nick instead. Whats a good liquid soap/bodywash for the shower post chlorine pool swimming? Prefer the liquid stuff for convenience. I've tried a bunch of products but end up still smelling like a pool - I often swim during lunch hours so this makes be very popular back in the office
Ah yeah most good pools don't really overburden the swimmer with chlorine, it's not 1985 any more.

I think just six or eight minutes under a warm shower does it fine. any Radox product is a good relaxant though and that will do you a tiny bit of good as well as make you smell like some sort of athlete.

re showering before swimming, well foamy I think I will let that one go straight through to the keeper.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:21 pm

Beanpole wrote:Nick, have you thought of writing an advice book for old decrepit surfers?
Obviously as you can see here there is a huge demand for it.
Ah look I don't think I'm as interested as I should be in helping old decrepit surfers

Maybe in 20 years when I too am old and decrepit.

Gonna have a crack at volume three of the How To Surf Your Best chronicles in 2015 though, maybe the online facet of that will carry some Old Guy Advice

Of course it will start with the fact that Old Guys Don't Rule So Get Over It.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:56 pm

Will the advice be- Fcuk off and get out of the way?
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:09 pm

Back to pool smells.

There no odour to a well-managed pool. Chloramines, which produce pool smell, can be eliminated using chlorine.
Nick Carroll wrote: re showering before swimming, well foamy I think I will let that one go straight through to the keeper.
Thanks Nick. I appreciate your restraint. But, my swimming crew have run randomised trials. It's SCIENZ! Surprising though.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:12 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:
Womble wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:at least in the ocean you'll have someone there who can pull you out.
Interesting ... I didn't realise that swimming pools were so lonely.

The ocean is a pretty big space ... so are we talking open or surf zone ?

One wouldn't be inclined to include Kurrawa in this equation ... would they ?
you're a fcuken idiot smart arse sometimes.

maybe all times.
Oh really ... lets have a butchers hook at this ... from a reasoned perspective.

To recommend not trying the exercise in a pool, but rather the ocean, because you'd be safer doing so on the pretext that one is more likely to be rescued in the sea rather than a pool ... is silly. Controlled environment as opposed to the madness of mother nature. Good advice that ... ?
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:24 pm

Womble, don't interfere with Ronnies put down by trying to reason with him.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?