Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:23 am

I think I would choose a stock market crash.

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:45 pm

Nick are there back issues of White Horses available? If so, have you guys thought of packaging several/all issues together as gift ideas? Been turning some work mates onto the mag but it's always a hassle getting older editions back from loan.
Also what''s the idea/purpose behind flat tail rocker on v small wave boards?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:05 pm

bomboraa wrote:Nick are there back issues of White Horses available? If so, have you guys thought of packaging several/all issues together as gift ideas? Been turning some work mates onto the mag but it's always a hassle getting older editions back from loan.
Don't think Nick produces White Horses. He's a contributor though.
The mag tells you how to order back copies.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:05 pm

bomboraa wrote:Nick are there back issues of White Horses available? If so, have you guys thought of packaging several/all issues together as gift ideas? Been turning some work mates onto the mag but it's always a hassle getting older editions back from loan.
yes you can get back issues via the Surfing Life website or by calling the MM subs dept 07 55761388.

Haven't gone the gift idea yet but I wouldn't rule it out.

flat tail rocker on v small wave boards, well such boards need to find lift from somewhere and that isn't going to come from the rail line at tiny wave speeds. So typically the turning potential goes into the outline curve and the planing/lift bit comes from a straightened tail rocker.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:09 am

Nick Carroll wrote:I think I would choose a stock market crash.
Dow down over 300 points last night. Only 2% but could be the beginning of a major turnaround.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:16 am

Nick, I have noticed that Maurice Cole is going pretty wide on the stock dimensions on many of his deep concaves you find being sold in retail stores. As an example on his 5'9s and 5'10s he is going like 19 1/2 wide or even 20. Is there any reason for him going so wide relative on these boards?. Is it so they are more suited to the average punter?. I would imagine going so wide on some of the super concaves could have its downsides. then again they could be some positives too.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:32 am

yeah I think it's just to accommodate intermediate skill levels a bit.

Finn

Post by Finn » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:34 am

Nick

Is MM in anyway related to Dingo M ?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:40 am

Buff_Brad wrote:
Dow down over 300 points last night. Only 2% but could be the beginning of a major turnaround.
and also could be a combination of jitters over Argentina's debt default, trade disruptions thanks to Ukraine etc, and a generic fear of an improving US economy among traders who've grown too used to free money and wig out at the idea of a rise in interest rates.

Look at underlying factors I say buffy. The market often seems to behave in defiance of actual economic data for short periods. Improving employment rates are briefly cause for terror of inflation. A strengthening dollar might hurt exports. The sky is falling! And then it doesn't.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:41 am

Finn wrote:Nick

Is MM in anyway related to Dingo M ?
Nup. Though Morrison seems a common surname in NZ.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:43 am

Nick, would you prefer horizontal lines on your favourite tshirt, or verticals ones?

your pants would be bone coloured slacks, if that helps.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:45 am

well I am quite short, so I think vertical lines would be more appropriate. But I am not a fan of lines on T-shirts so fcuk it.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:01 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Buff_Brad wrote:
and also could be a combination of jitters over Argentina's debt default, trade disruptions thanks to Ukraine etc, and a generic fear of an improving US economy among traders who've grown too used to free money and wig out at the idea of a rise in interest rates.

Look at underlying factors I say buffy. The market often seems to behave in defiance of actual economic data for short periods. Improving employment rates are briefly cause for terror of inflation. A strengthening dollar might hurt exports. The sky is falling! And then it doesn't.
Been climbing pretty solidly of late. Not unusual for a correction like this, especially given the factors Nick listed.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:47 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Buff_Brad wrote:

It's hasn't been an easy market to trade with the extreme low levels of volatility (complacency?) Mr Carroll and Trev but I feel some major dislocations might be on the horizon. It's a very strange world of finance we live in atm I reckon fellas. Something will have to give eventually. But as you allude Nick it is also very
contrarian.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:05 pm

what you're not into that crazy bot trading shit brad?

you don't need volatility for that, right? you just want people buying and selling. get in under the trades and trim off your little bit of fat.

trading is for pros and idiots imo.

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:54 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
yes you can get back issues via the Surfing Life website or by calling the MM subs dept 07 55761388.

Haven't gone the gift idea yet but I wouldn't rule it out.

flat tail rocker on v small wave boards, well such boards need to find lift from somewhere and that isn't going to come from the rail line at tiny wave speeds. So typically the turning potential goes into the outline curve and the planing/lift bit comes from a straightened tail rocker.
Ta.
So does more tail rocker create suction and so, drag? And why is flatter tail rocker harder to get to go more vertical on a hollower wave?

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:09 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:what you're not into that crazy bot trading shit brad?

you don't need volatility for that, right? you just want people buying and selling. get in under the trades and trim off your little bit of fat.

trading is for pros and idiots imo.
Well I've been doing it for nearly 30 years off and on and I haven't had to return to Macquarie Bank etc so I must be doing something right but it's very psychologically taxing and you (well I do) need a break once in a while.

Like every 3 months. :mrgreen:

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:48 am

I've been thinking about getting into share trading recently. I've got a bit of spare cash under the mattress.

Any links or tips?