Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

spork
barnacle

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by spork » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:11 am

Some tips from a brazza may help, they have similar conditions
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:46 am

What is the origin of the term "swimming trunks"

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:21 pm

"Trunk" or "trunks" is a generic term for mid-thigh sporting shorts, loose or tight, worn to make some stupid sport easier. The term goes back a fair way and derives from "truncate" or cut off - i.e. short pants as opposed to long pants.

Add "swimming" to the front of it and bingo.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:32 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:"Trunk" or "trunks" is a generic term for mid-thigh sporting shorts, loose or tight, worn to make some stupid sport easier. The term goes back a fair way and derives from "truncate" or cut off - i.e. short pants as opposed to long pants.

Wow!

All hail the guru. :B
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:38 pm

Sometimes when im riding a fast hollow wave going from the inside rail to the outside I tend to catch the outside rail, bogging it. This happens a lot on a wave I surf a lot, Which is a short fast reef mostly tube wave. When I exit the barrel on this wave i have a lot of speed and am usually closer to the top of the wave because the tube tends to pinch a bit at the end. I'll go into a cutback because the section after the tube is a lot slower and it is almost the end of the wave anyway. What often happens is I exit with a shit load of speed set my feet for the cut back, out onto the face shift to the outside rail and bog. Sometimes this happens just as I exit the barrel and shift onto the other rail before even attempting a cutty.

The board is a reasonably deep single concave, Which I love. I can generate a lot of speed on it and can really feel it hang in on the latest drops.

Is the concave too deep with not enough rocker or is it all my fault ?
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

Headlander

Post by Headlander » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:39 pm

Besides being fit and getting to your feet quickly, what are two thought processes that can make your surfing i.e. bottom turn, top turn combinations more consistent in everyday type surf. Just something to think of that works, as I'm working with my youngster thats trying to improve (advanced ability) but gets confused with too many technical details taught by some coaches and needs some simple thoughts as triggers for getting more consistent in everyday situations and when the pressure is on in comps.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:57 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:00 pm

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:10 pm

not particularly wide. normal hpsb
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:20 pm

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:39 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:"Trunk" or "trunks" is a generic term for mid-thigh sporting shorts, loose or tight, worn to make some stupid sport easier. The term goes back a fair way and derives from "truncate" or cut off - i.e. short pants as opposed to long pants.

As Nick says, it does go back a fair way, to the popular 16th and 17 century garment, the Trunk Hose. Short baggy breeches that ended normally somewhere down the thigh. Some say the word 'trunk' comes from truncate, but many experts say they were called 'trunk hose' because it was the part of the leg covering that extended up over the trunk of the body.

The trunk hose, as in short pants, were these bad boys.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:44 pm

andy2476 wrote:Sometimes when im riding a fast hollow wave going from the inside rail to the outside I tend to catch the outside rail, bogging it. This happens a lot on a wave I surf a lot, Which is a short fast reef mostly tube wave. When I exit the barrel on this wave i have a lot of speed and am usually closer to the top of the wave because the tube tends to pinch a bit at the end. I'll go into a cutback because the section after the tube is a lot slower and it is almost the end of the wave anyway. What often happens is I exit with a shit load of speed set my feet for the cut back, out onto the face shift to the outside rail and bog. Sometimes this happens just as I exit the barrel and shift onto the other rail before even attempting a cutty.

The board is a reasonably deep single concave, Which I love. I can generate a lot of speed on it and can really feel it hang in on the latest drops.

Is the concave too deep with not enough rocker or is it all my fault ?
Your board is lacking back end rocker to counter the typical deep concave low entry. Or possibly the rail fins are set too straight. But probably the former.

Try the fabled 'drop wallet' weight shift to set the turn. That'll engage the back end rail a bit more and make better use of whatever curve is there.

Deep concaves actually suck for tuberiding so re the outside rail catching anyway, tough shit big boy.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:54 pm

Headlander wrote:Besides being fit and getting to your feet quickly, what are two thought processes that can make your surfing i.e. bottom turn, top turn combinations more consistent in everyday type surf. Just something to think of that works, as I'm working with my youngster thats trying to improve (advanced ability) but gets confused with too many technical details taught by some coaches and needs some simple thoughts as triggers for getting more consistent in everyday situations and when the pressure is on in comps.
Relax the upper body. Upper body tension restricts movement in turns and restricts your wave vision.

Watch the waves before paddling out. Helps engage the surfing imagination and gives you an underlying sense of what'll happen during the session.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:23 pm

Nick. What's your favourite sized fishing rod?

This is not a trick question.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:32 pm

ummm fcuk, I don't really go fishing but if I did it'd be off the beach with a fcuken big beach rod and an alvey side cast reel.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:03 pm

An Alvey!
OMG! Nick! All those hurtful things you have written about Queensland over all these years. All those awful, dismissive, hurtful things. <sniff>
But then you say.....
Nick Carroll wrote: ......it'd be off the beach with a fcuken big beach rod and an alvey side cast reel.
An Alvey!
Then, in your heart, you are a Queenslander!
Because nothing quite says Queenslander like an Alvey.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:46 pm

We are all Queenslanders foamy.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:55 pm

Yes, Nick.
Yes we are.