Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by petulance » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:15 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
petulance wrote:OK Nick, this is more of a tour guide question. I should Google it up but what the heck ...

I'm not liking the surf forecast over the Easter weekend. Do you know of any non-secret breaks around the Port Stephens area that would suit a kook like me? Birubi Beach, Samurai Beach and One Mile Beach have been mentioned to me.
Shit petulance, you've kinda got me there. The best spot I know in that area for this weekend's conditions is probably gonna be a bit much for you by the sounds. The swell will be very groundswell from the ESE which is a pretty much direct hit on a lot of typical surf spots. Protected ones, I'm sure there's a few. It can be fun hunting out your own spot so I'll leave it to you this time.
I looked at a map and the swell direction and I think there will be a spot that will work for me. Good thing that there are breaks facing different directions so there should be something for me over the long weekend.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:32 pm

How do you feel about your thread being hijacked by the fishing fraternity?
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:15 pm

I try to suffer in silence spork.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:27 pm

Nick ... I'm sure you too would revel in pursuits of a piscatorial nature. Angling one calls it ... a noble art indeed ... fly fishing doubly so.

Are you heading down for the tolling of the bell ... good waves possibly pumping is the prediction.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:02 pm

Surfing Life has little to worry about being stripped of a couple hundred grand by the courts for "apeish''. Read the words and phrase within the context of that story. That's key. That's what defamation hinges on. You can't be sued for squillions for an observation, a description, made without malice, in the context of that Surfing Life story about the bloke being different to first appearances.Smacks of desperation for a quick buck.
The mag does however deserve to be mightily punished for its current Travel Bible issue _ pathetically 50 per cent horrid inane advertorial by already well known resorts and boats owners. Astonishingly limited number of places on this planet also mentioned for a "Travel Bible'. Almost certainly the worst surf travel issue mag I've ever read. Was desperate for doctor's waiting room reading material.
And a surfer who does not fish is a lesser man. Or woman.
Last edited by bomboraa on Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:08 pm

Many, maybe most, fly fishers suck.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:28 pm

bomboraa wrote:Many, maybe most, fly fishers suck.
Now now ... lets not be to harsh.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:41 pm

I thought Endo nailed it re "The 'ape' jibe" and the whole shitstorm over Whatsi's names article.
Personally, I didn't think it was a racist remark. I'll conceived indeed.
But not racist.
There's more important issues to address.
Well, right now I don't know which, but Al's alluded to some, but I'm not inclined to take them up in general view I'm afraid.
But props to you caveman for stepping up.

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:40 pm

Womble wrote:
bomboraa wrote:Many, maybe most, fly fishers suck.
Now now ... lets not be to harsh.
OK, true, But still a decent percentage of elitist tools, who then rely on others to find them fish.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:21 am

what do you do for a crust Bomby?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:52 am

bomboraa wrote:Surfing Life has little to worry about being stripped of a couple hundred grand by the courts for "apeish''. Read the words and phrase within the context of that story. That's key. That's what defamation hinges on. You can't be sued for squillions for an observation, a description, made without malice, in the context of that Surfing Life story about the bloke being different to first appearances.Smacks of desperation for a quick buck.
The mag does however deserve to be mightily punished for its current Travel Bible issue _ pathetically 50 per cent horrid inane advertorial by already well known resorts and boats owners. Astonishingly limited number of places on this planet also mentioned for a "Travel Bible'. Almost certainly the worst surf travel issue mag I've ever read. Was desperate for doctor's waiting room reading material.
So I guess George Brandis is right on the money.
Good to see a bunch of white guys deciding its okay.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:25 pm

Yeah mate I'm at Bells, it's onshore and building, prolly surf this arv.

Carbon is stiff-feeling and snaps back into shape faster than wood. I don't think it strengthens the board much in the configuration you mention but it'd change how the board flexes a little bit.

I like the vanguard type Tomo as a thruster, it feels to me like that balances out the board's big down the line tendency, the Nano one seems great both ways. It's not set up like a Bruce in any way, it's set up to fit the outline.

Ha ha Bomby re fishing, flip the statement around! Fisherman is not a fisherman unless he surfs.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:19 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
We work with the clumsiness and slowly get better but in the main, most of us never get beyond the initial style errors, which persist in an underlying sort of way for decades, building themselves into our surfing and limiting us in all sorts of ways, about which we're basically unaware. We know there's some higher levels of surfing, we vaguely sense them during our own experiences, but they never really take form. and after a long while, most of us just shrug our shoulders, or even become defensive about our skills, refusing to acknowledge anything else etc.

breaking down this stuff and establishing a new mastery of technique is a huge ask. even with top layer surfers, like elite pro level guys who understand their flaws and have every reason to eradicate 'em, it can be really arduous.

With some surfers, quick changes can be made, but a lot depends on the luck of timing and the available surf. the hard yards come later for such surfers as they try to hang on to and develop the changes they've so swiftly made.

Surfing has many layers, physical, emotional, habit-formed, even spinal - sort of reptile level. For a long established average surfer to be challenged on all these levels and make serious gains, it really is a massive call.

How much emphasis on coaching is put on fitness, excess body weight, posture and flexibility?
These physical attribute's or limitation's surely would contribute to a surfers technical flaw's. Would a surf coach look at a client and go time to loose some excess fat or do you they for the more volume in the board approach?

As for the emotional or mental limitation how does coaching help there is it simply a confidence building exercise?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:43 pm

rmb wrote: How much emphasis on coaching is put on fitness, excess body weight, posture and flexibility?
These physical attribute's or limitation's surely would contribute to a surfers technical flaw's. Would a surf coach look at a client and go time to loose some excess fat or do you they for the more volume in the board approach?

As for the emotional or mental limitation how does coaching help there is it simply a confidence building exercise?
I can't really speak for other coaches on this first score. I think while there will sometimes be connections between a surfer's physical state and his/her technical flaws, the two are essentially separate – some of the most stylistically precise surfers I've seen have been big fat guys, and some of the ugliest have been muscly and super fit.

Emotional and mental limitations are black holes for a coach. It's foolish to go anywhere near them until you've spent a great deal of time with whoever it is you're coaching. You get much better results from working on what's visible and concrete. Very often someone's ideas about what they can or can't do, or their overall confidence, will lift simply by feeling the results of concrete work. I've really grown clear on this through coaching the surf racing squad; you can waste endless time nattering about something, or you can just focus on the skills and fitness and watch them turn the corners -- with a little bit of a nudge here and there. The best confidence builder in the world is feeling an improvement in your performance through your own efforts.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:45 pm

Nick,
how important do you think is good eyesight for achieving surfing competence?

Do you know of any good surfers that have significant problems with near-sightedness or astigmatism?

Cheers, blind-as-a-bat Mik 8)

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:35 pm

Yes! But most of them have developed or had inflicted on them an eye condition after they became highly skilled surfers.

I dont know if you do other sports MrMik? I sort of imagine that if you're sighted well enough to drive then you'd be able to work on your surfing ok.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:22 pm

Do the fat fcuk's surf board's that suit their body type's?? What type of surfer's could they be if slim or did their body type suit their style??

How do the board rider's and developing pro's target their surf fit program??
I would imagine the most important aspect would be a fast paddle and pop up which would be aimed at utilising fast twitch muscle fibre's then a good stability would be required so core exercises are next then you would be targeting strong explosive movement's and stability which would require a strong range of motion's in the hips, ankles and shoulder's as well as a good lower back and hamstrings.

How does surfing Aus tailor their program's?

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:42 pm

Beanpole wrote:
bomboraa wrote:Surfing Life has little to worry about being stripped of a couple hundred grand by the courts for "apeish''. Read the words and phrase within the context of that story. That's key. That's what defamation hinges on. You can't be sued for squillions for an observation, a description, made without malice, in the context of that Surfing Life story about the bloke being different to first appearances.Smacks of desperation for a quick buck.
So I guess George Brandis is right on the money.
Good to see a bunch of white guys deciding its okay.
Brandis stupidly defended bigots. This was just poor expression. And I ain't all white.
SS have not worked this year, treading along recovery road from serious medical issue (ie one where as you are put under you think "F**k I don't have a will".) Before that humble servant of The Great Satan for three decades both here and OS. Nice toxic glow to the skin from long time exposure.
Last edited by bomboraa on Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.