Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by steve shearer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:12 pm

I would cut my left nut off to come over and get OUtside Corner at 10ft. Love that spot.
It's the only wave on Bali I'd go specifically to surf.

Being young has nothing to do with that spot, I know guys still charging in their 50's.
You just need the right equipment.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:41 pm

I'm 66 Steve, usually the oldest in the water by at least 10 years, often by 20 years
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:41 pm

Are you not in your 50's Steve?
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:50 pm

Aren't Matt Biolas' boards the best sellers for FireWire?
Interesting aesthetic piece from a beneficiary of mass production.

Not incompatible, but interesting to read from someone who makes his coin from something a long way from handshapes.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:54 pm

steve shearer wrote:Wonder what Old Cranked and his plastic pop-out mentality makes of this ?:

from Matt Biolos on Swellnet.

"On the surfboard as a piece of art:
For me a surfboard is first and foremost a tool for surfing. Its status as a work of art is secondary, but in that "form follows function" ethos the shapes can be beautiful. So I find an epoxy sandwich board to be a beautiful object, due to its shape and construction. I find other board construction techniques less appealing and non-functional artwork is out of place and detracts from the ideal of form and function

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:02 pm

Gotta go: time, tide and wind are all aligned

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:07 pm

I for one reckon Cranked is a full charger. 66 and still going strong on those waves it pretty damn impressive.
Last edited by Davros on Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:08 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Beerfan wrote:Cranked surfs more and better quality waves than anyone else on realsurf. No argument. Legend.
Come now, he's a kook on a tufflite who only surfs semi-closeouts at Impossibles.

If he was surfing Racetrack, Outside Corner, Temples, Bingin or Padang I'd say you have a point.

It's like being at Chamonix and only skiing the bunny slopes. :cry:
It clearly upsets you though. Why? Why the constant bitching about the boards he rides? Does it really matter to you that much? Comes across as very bitter and condescending, like it really cuts you up or challenges your whole life philosophy or something. Just an observation.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:09 pm

Davros wrote:Hi for one reckon Cranked is a full charger. 66 and still going strong on those waves it pretty damn impressive.

Yep

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:11 pm

steve shearer wrote:Wonder what Old Cranked and his plastic pop-out mentality makes of this ?:

Yes. I can evenly defend that. Shaping itself is an art. Hand shaping with a planer is a sculpting art. I mean, I traveled the world with a planer, making art wherever I went. I then made the transition to CAD design open mindedly. I think that is an art too, no question. There is no denying that CAD designing is an artform, just like recording music or mixing music or producing it.

And as far as the art on a surfboard goes, it is a second layer of art. No other piece of sports equipment has that. I have done lots of art whether it was on the foam or with paint pens, or doing resin work, which is having a great resurgence. It’s beautiful, it celebrates the individual and it trumpets the fact that surfboards are art and worthy of their own applied art.

If it weren’t for the artistic side of surfboard building, I think surfboards would just turn into another piece of sports equipment. The powers that be are trying as hard as they can to turn surfboards into just another imported container full of product. But the fact that individual surfers can walk in and order custom surfboards with personal specs, anywhere in the world, with airbrush, resin work, paint pens, do-it-yourself artwork, anything…that is the saving grace of our whole industry. The backbone of the entire industry is the ability to build custom surfboards for individuals. And we are building these boards to such exacting specifications for each individual…it’s a miracle we even get it done. But in the end, surfboards will always be miracles that perform miracles."
Mass produced art for mediocre surfers/weekend warriors/ old diggers is Lost's market. I thinkth he speakth out of his arse.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:12 pm

Beerfan wrote:
steve shearer wrote:
Beerfan wrote:Cranked surfs more and better quality waves than anyone else on realsurf. No argument. Legend.
Come now, he's a kook on a tufflite who only surfs semi-closeouts at Impossibles.

If he was surfing Racetrack, Outside Corner, Temples, Bingin or Padang I'd say you have a point.

It clearly upsets you though. Why? Why the constant bitching about the boards he rides? Does it really matter to you that much? Comes across as very bitter and condescending, like it really cuts you up or challenges your whole life philosophy or something. Just an observation.
You're probably over-thinking it, it's just a bit of forum back and forth. tbh, you sound way more cut up about it than either Cranked or I.
I like the way Cranked justifies his choices, it's endlessly entertaining.
Last edited by steve shearer on Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:15 pm

Davros wrote:

Yes. I can evenly defend that. Shaping itself is an art. Hand shaping with a planer is a sculpting art. I mean, I traveled the world with a planer, making art wherever I went. I then made the transition to CAD design open mindedly. I think that is an art too, no question. There is no denying that CAD designing is an artform, just like recording music or mixing music or producing it.

And as far as the art on a surfboard goes, it is a second layer of art. No other piece of sports equipment has that. I have done lots of art whether it was on the foam or with paint pens, or doing resin work, which is having a great resurgence. It’s beautiful, it celebrates the individual and it trumpets the fact that surfboards are art and worthy of their own applied art.

If it weren’t for the artistic side of surfboard building, I think surfboards would just turn into another piece of sports equipment. The powers that be are trying as hard as they can to turn surfboards into just another imported container full of product. But the fact that individual surfers can walk in and order custom surfboards with personal specs, anywhere in the world, with airbrush, resin work, paint pens, do-it-yourself artwork, anything…that is the saving grace of our whole industry. The backbone of the entire industry is the ability to build custom surfboards for individuals. And we are building these boards to such exacting specifications for each individual…it’s a miracle we even get it done. But in the end, surfboards will always be miracles that perform miracles."
Mass produced art for mediocre surfers/weekend warriors/ old diggers is Lost's market. I thinkth he speakth out of his arse.
no doubt he is a mass market surfboard producer but I don't think that invalidates his argument.

I've also seen McTavish embrace different production techniques and methods and yet on any given day go visit the factory and watch Bob plane one out by hand with a Skil in bare feet.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:18 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Beerfan wrote:
steve shearer wrote:

You're probably over-thinking it, it's just a bit of forum back and forth. tbh, you sound way more cut up about it than either Cranked or I.
I like the way Cranked justifies his choices, it's endlessly entertaining.
Now even the smallest hint of arrogance there lol

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:19 pm

it's arrogant to seek entertainment from a surfing forum by bantering about surfboards?
Last edited by steve shearer on Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:20 pm

This is having your cake and eating it too

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:20 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Davros wrote:

no doubt he is a mass market surfboard producer but I don't think that invalidates his argument.

I've also seen McTavish embrace different production techniques and methods and yet on any given day go visit the factory and watch Bob plane one out by hand with a Skil in bare feet.
Ya can't be half pregnant. Bob's cashing in on the hipster thing, and good on him.
Last edited by Davros on Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:21 pm

"But the fact that individual surfers can walk in and order custom surfboards with personal specs, anywhere in the world, with airbrush, resin work, paint pens, do-it-yourself artwork, anything…that is the saving grace of our whole industry. The backbone of the entire industry is the ability to build custom surfboards for individuals. And we are building these boards to such exacting specifications for each individual…it’s a miracle we even get it done. But in the end, surfboards will always be miracles that perform miracles."

Whats wrong with that as an ethos? Doesn't that sum it up, the uniqueness of a surfboard ?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Like saying Starbucks use coffee hand picked in South America