Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:41 pm

el rancho wrote:
Braithy wrote:Yeah. Even watching it this morning at dead low it's fast, almost a closeout thru little M and all through the bay.

Greeny still looked good though.

You surf it? I'm gonna have a look at the beachies after lunch. Maybe on the high they'll be good?

no my ankle is fucked from that big fin cut, haven't surfed since saturday.
spewing cos when I surfed Kirra on friday I blew it on the wrong boards (a 5'9 was too small), wanted to take my old 6'9" T&C thumbtail out for max paddle power.

looked kinda fun just down the road from mine this morning too.
I didn't get wet today. Had to take the daughter to the docs and by the time I was done if missed the high tide. Tomorra on the beachies near you might be the go.

I did mow my instant jungle though. So there's that.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:30 am

finally had a surf, pretty fun even on dead low tide.
you know the brazzos are in town when you see packs doing retard stretches and calisthenics routines on the sand for 30 minutes while the wind turns onshore

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:15 pm

Brazzos are known for pre-surf stretches?
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:54 pm

Brazzos aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnD Grooter. Where are ya, Groots? Hope you're getting a wave
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:53 am

petulance wrote:Brazzos are known for pre-surf stretches?

up here some are, and the Japanese. The smaller the surf, the more the Japanese surfers stretch it seems

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:20 pm

Braithy, El Rancho and other Gold Coast point surfers is the use of PWC's during swells such as the last week's been an issue or is it all being blown out of proportion by social media commentators on websites such as Swellnet?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:53 pm

I dunno i haven't seen or read swellnet in ages ... what are they saying there?

there's two kinds of skis out there. Skis with photographers capturing images and making a living and they'll taxi people all the way back up to coolie or even snapper in the lulls. I don't have a problem with them, they give us a wide birth in the water -- ie they basically follow where the cans would be in the comp, so not even their wake will effect the next set -- and go the long way around.

there's a couple of cowboys -- and really there's only a few that i've ever seen -- out there with either no idea what they're doing and they'll do step offs in the middle of a paddle crew ... but guys tell them to fcuk off pretty quickly and they do.

there's so much water moving. sets are bombing all around you -- wave selection is critical, ie still the vast majority of waves are closeouts, the current is moving you north at a solid jogging pace. there's so much happening. you don't really notice the skis, as most are either way out wide doing a taxi run, or at the end of the channel past little groyne with their 600mm lens pointed back into the lineup.

i read the dingo story on stab ... and the former pros and current ones can be pretty ruthless out there. maybe they think bcos the comp is on their waves are more important than yours. i personally don't get that problem (of being burnt), but i see plenty of cruel and crude drop ins. imo, thats a bigger issue to do with crowding out there than skis.
Kunji wrote:

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:13 pm

Theres an article regarding PWC's in the line up and the law. Pretty much the major issue is the tow in's/step off's happening particularly at Kirra on the recent swell are illegal whilst paddle surfers are in the water due to exceeding the 6 knot limit. Comments have also highlighted the danger to paddle surfers and the greed of those using the PWC's to ferry their mates up the points getting an unfair advantage over those with no access to skis battling the continuous sweep.

There's no way to judge whether the behaviour of those using PWC's is impacting on everyone else by just watching a few highlight clips. Thanks for your insight.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:19 pm

rmb wrote:Braithy, El Rancho and other Gold Coast point surfers is the use of PWC's during swells such as the last week's been an issue or is it all being blown out of proportion by social media commentators on websites such as Swellnet?

mostly bitter internet warriors who don't even surf Kirra anyway. I only surfed it twice during that swell before I gashed my ankle, it was super low tide and running very fast. Skis weren't an issue like Braithy said you don't have time or energy when your paddling against the rip, but honestly I think it's stupid driving jet skis in 4 foot Kirra when they should just paddle like everybody else. Plus they are breaking the law.

At the moment it's under control but more and more people are getting skis and it could get out of hand quick when a big swell is forecast next.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:13 pm

el rancho wrote:
rmb wrote:Braithy, El Rancho and other Gold Coast point surfers is the use of PWC's during swells such as the last week's been an issue or is it all being blown out of proportion by social media commentators on websites such as Swellnet?

mostly bitter internet warriors who don't even surf Kirra anyway. I only surfed it twice during that swell before I gashed my ankle, it was super low tide and running very fast. Skis weren't an issue like Braithy said you don't have time or energy when your paddling against the rip, but honestly I think it's stupid driving jet skis in 4 foot Kirra when they should just paddle like everybody else. Plus they are breaking the law.

At the moment it's under control but more and more people are getting skis and it could get out of hand quick when a big swell is forecast next.
Cheers El Rancho. Having a strong sweep would be enough of an advantage for any regular surfer or pro who has superior paddle fitness to the average punter.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:03 pm

Now gentlemen Im glad that you can rub our Sydney noses in the quality surf you have been getting.......God knows you wait for it, but ............argh. It's driving me crazy.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:47 pm

You guys have waves right now huh? Has it been that bad down there.
Kunji wrote:

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:40 pm

Ringmaster wrote:
el rancho wrote:

mostly bitter internet warriors who don't even surf Kirra anyway.

but honestly I think it's stupid driving jet skis in 4 foot Kirra when they should just paddle like everybody else. Plus they are breaking the law.

So........you're a bitter, internet warrior then.
exactly.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:52 am

I just watched some video of Snapper & holy fcuk I am continually amazed at what a clusterfuck it is. Every wave is an obstacle course & I half expect Super Mario to pop up. With the wealth of spots up there why the fcuk do people bother with Snapper?

jackietreehorn

Post by jackietreehorn » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:18 am

The john flynn bank at tugun was off its chops yesterday. Or maybe it was just me. One things for sure, I won't be posting to this thread for a few weeks.
Damn you meniscus, damn you to hell!

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:29 am

Braithy wrote:You guys have waves right now huh? Has it been that bad down there.
Worst Summer in the Eastern Suburbs I can remember for 6 or 7 years. Last time they got into the habit of bulldozing sand into all the gutters at Bondi. I guess now they aren't shooting Bondi Rescue they decided it's better to have one long close out again. Tama and Bronte are screwed big time as well which only leaves The Bra which also has a hole in between the shorey and outside bank.

So a long drive is the only option I guess. Hanging out for Easter.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:15 am

Beanpole wrote:
Braithy wrote:You guys have waves right now huh? Has it been that bad down there.
I guess now they aren't shooting Bondi Rescue they decided it's better to have one long close out again. Tama and Bronte are screwed big time as well which only leaves The Bra which also has a hole in between the shorey and outside bank.

that's all we have up here, big deep gutters between the shorey and the outside bank, and after the last swell, the gutter is deeper and the gap between the banks is even wider, and the outside banks look possibly straighter.

i never knew they bulldozed sand into the gutters to make bondi rescue ... i also didn't know they've stopped making it. when did it stop?
Kunji wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:54 am

Just the opposite braithy. They seemed to stop bulldozing into the rips while the show was running. They had rescue boards set up at each rip and quite often a camera guy with a beach umbrella. The natural rips formed any surfable banks. Haven't seen any footage being shot this summer. Early summer swells and onshore winds blew heaps of sand right up the back of the beach so it was bulldozed back into the surf.

Some of the rips seem to be where the beach showers run onto the sand. I've thought of going down with a shovel and starting a trench in desperation.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?