Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by black duck » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:54 pm

Sth coast reef break. Swell is settling down. Its now about 4ft but pretty solid with the occasional bigger bomb. Wind regime is light so the surface conditions are still good but the swell is still a little disorganised down here. A bit lumpy.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:12 pm

whats cronulla point like?

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:37 pm

Swellnet has some great photos from Friday of Cronulla Point

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:31 pm

party

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:32 pm

other than Cowries (which had too many out) - the illawarra was pretty average. And the NE, which turned SE, and then back to NE winds were up early - that's the last god damn time i trust the internet for wind predictions....
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:28 pm

el rancho wrote:whats cronulla point like?
Best off asking 2nd reef aka stu nettle. He was something of a charging core-local in the past. But from my limited experience with it, it's a pretty full-on wave. Gets extremely solid. Fun up to 5 foot, but over that it's game-on out there, it's intense.

The crowds kinda kill it for me, so if I ever bother with it, it's usually at first light. Gnarly waves are fun, but having dozens of dudes shoulder to shoulder scratching away in a tight and very ledgey take-off zone makes it sketchy.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:43 pm

It's about the take off and first section. after that it's a boring wave. Unlike somewhere like Sandon that keeps running all the way on the good ones.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:14 am

I remember reading in some article about Hawaiian Surfers reckoning it was the closest thing to Backdoor Pipe when it was big but you know what surfing mags are like.

Seems to break on the same rock platform irrespective of size so consequently gets a lot thicker as it gets bigger. Definitely no authority. not that that stops me from having an opinion. :lol:
Generally agree with Jimmy except about that other place who's name I always seem to forget to mention.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:47 pm

jimmy wrote:It's about the take off and first section. after that it's a boring wave. Unlike somewhere like Sandon that keeps running all the way on the good ones.
thats exactly what this video shows, although thats 6 foot, 8 foot max on the biggest sets. not 8-10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTzgqxYux0U
Hatchnam wrote:
el rancho wrote:whats cronulla point like?
Best off asking 2nd reef aka stu nettle. He was something of a charging core-local in the past. But from my limited experience with it, it's a pretty full-on wave. Gets extremely solid. Fun up to 5 foot, but over that it's game-on out there, it's intense.

The crowds kinda kill it for me, so if I ever bother with it, it's usually at first light. Gnarly waves are fun, but having dozens of dudes shoulder to shoulder scratching away in a tight and very ledgey take-off zone makes it sketchy.
what board did you ride?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:08 pm

I happened to be at cronulla today ( never been before ). I watched a longboarder get a wave at the point and as a clubbie on a surf ski was paddling out, the longboarder did a bottom turn right into him. Clubbies came over pretty quick. I guess to abuse the bloke. No chance he didn't see the surf ski guy.

Bobby Dazzler
Local

Post by Bobby Dazzler » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:34 pm

looks like they're keeping it real down in the shire.
goat boat + cronulla point.... as popular as a "i heart sydney" t-rashie at sandon point.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:58 pm

I never thought Cronulla Point was a much of a serious wave when I surfed it throughout the seventies. Shark Isl was another matter. I guess my limit then was akin to that footage of it^^ but plainly an unremarkable wave.
Actually more fun at about head high iirc.
Though best memory was shoulder hopping the day PT ventured out in triple overhead plus.
Most blood spilt there was from smack users on the rocks.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:14 pm

As far as similarities go, there's not much to compare between Cronulla Point and Sandon Point. They'll both hold any size, and they're both righthanders, that's about all they've got in common.

The differences can be traced back to the geology. As Barstardos - who used to post here often and was a trained geologist - noted, the wave at Cronulla Point is actually a bedrock reef and not a 'pointbreak' at all. It just happens to break near a bend in the coast and so it's copped the moniker. As Jimmy said, it's all about that first section - which will break in the same spot whether it's 5 foot or 12 foot. It doesn't share the elongated, down the line similarities as other classic pointbreaks - Sandon, Lennox, Snapper et al - but rather focusses all it's power into a 50 metre running slab. And although it ain't as shallow as some of it's neighbours it's not a wave to be trifled with when it's low tide, double overhead and from the south. Not really worth bothering with when it's not.

I'm living down on the Coal Coast now, just a few minutes from Sandon, so surf it whenever I can. Really miss the barrels of Cronulla Point though.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:31 pm

What happened to your Northside foray Stu?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:15 pm

Went out for a bash at Bronte about 1pm. Pretty ordinary but good to have a paddle. Usual annoying little chop section that breaks at the top of the wave.

Saw a guy get royaly poleaxed twice in an amazingly incompetent attempt to jump off the pool. A guy even showed him the right spot after he got rissoled the first time. Only to get washed right through the reef on the second attempt 3-)
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:45 am

Karlos wrote:What happened to your Northside foray Stu?
Ended with the unexpected arrival of twins. That put the count at 3 boys under 2-years-old, and 5 of us in a 2 bedroom flat. Real estate being what it is on the N Beaches I just couldn't see us affording the space we needed. So we packed the wagon, headed south, and everyone gets a bedroom and a big backyard to boot.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:24 am

el rancho wrote:what board did you ride?
The old pintail single.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:32 pm

it was organised chaos as the Ola swell and a nice S pulse intersected at the Point. Gurgly enough to keep all but one away. Ton of punch. Millions of catostylus.
I had a real shark phobia after seeing heaps of chunky bronzies at ..... and then imagining that tiger ripping that dolphin apart.
was wishing a car load of Goldy roosters would show up with brand spanking DHD's to reduce the odds. There was just a constant minor feeding frenzy everywhere with circling terns.
Only one guy on a new Merrick Pod appeared and he got ragdolled straight back up the rocks for a walk of shame, no go-out.
I wanted to see how the board fared but it was too much fun to come in.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes