Moments of One Palm Point.

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Moments of One Palm Point.

Post by Kunji » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:35 pm

The main reason for going to Indo, this July for me, was to surf the fabled, One Palm Point, Panaitan Island off the coast of West Java.

I havent heard much of the place, really, it was just from a few images and some people that ive come across in my travels.

We checked the net on arriving in Bali and saw a sweet 6-8ft+ 14 sec SW swell hitting the place in a few days time. The last place we wanted to be was Bali when a great long period swell was coming.

So we jumped on a plane to Jarkarta and got some Javanese fellas to drive us (7 hours :x ) down to a fishing village where we could hire a fishing boat and take us to Panaitan Island, home of One Palm Point.

This is the little fishing boat we got. It was only us 3 guys and a few fishermen. There was not enough room to sleep on it so we had to put our stuff in garbage bags and paddle over the reef to the Island where set up camp.

3. It didnt take long until the swell started to come.

6. By the arvo it picked up!

9. The next morning was on fire.

10. No, its not cold. The place is so shallow that they all wore steamers. The sea temp was 27 degrees. They were not kooks, they had been coming here for years. They were all in their mid to late 30's or early 40's.

13. The wave was so long, this guy was heading all the way to "Manginas".

16. On the right swell they say, it one of the longest waves in the world.

19. There was only a couple of boats that rocked up the whole time. One boat was called "Just Dreaming", none of them got in the water the whole time. The other fellas (from NZ, US and Australia) told us they have heaps of Bintangs before heading out. This, they assured us, would calm their nerves.

24. This place was different. As you can see, the tree line in the back ground. This ran all the way to the right about 2 or 3kms to One Palm. This was one of many kegs that kept rolling down the coast. We were out here and you could see these big lines coming through One Palm and watch the same wave for minutes come down to where this break is. It was shallow and angry like One Palm.

27. We had this place to our selves...

28. Late arvo bomb out One Palm.

Jeez, it was a hell of a place. The live coral, the communication barrier between us and the fishermen and the head injurys. It was not a holiday, rather an adventure. I dont think ill go back again, but if anyone hasnt been and are looking for a thrill, this is the place.

I have heaps of other pics of this place but next ill post some pics of Super Suck!

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:45 pm

8) looks like you scored very big time. Got any of your crew surfing it?

Cant wait to see the 'snakes one eye' pics

locomotive
Grommet

Post by locomotive » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:48 pm

Absolutely unreal.
Makes me want to hoot my head off
Awwoooooooo!

infectious
regular

Post by infectious » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:59 pm

not wanting to sound too cliched, but that is the stuff dreams are made of! more pictures!
"I wanna be on you"

EDI_vicco
regular

Post by EDI_vicco » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:47 am

SICK STUFF COOPS!!!! yeeew! gimme more o' dat brother.

macgreggor
regular

Post by macgreggor » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:23 am

Fuck. This is why I choose to come to realsurf, to re-affirm why I need to keep going back to Indonesia, to get stoked by a thread that hasn't been poisoned by big city black humour and narcism. To read about 30 -40 yr old tube junkies like myself who do it for the love of it.These pics send a shiver up me spine! Nice work coops.

chambress

Post by chambress » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:41 am

Oh my gosh this looks like heaven, those waves are so fun looking. I love it.

Coops this is where we can have our honey moon :wink:

Oh my god you guys are so easy to get :lol: :lol:

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:36 am

nice attention seeking ^^

howd you go with malaria? on the drugs?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:51 am

Nice segment sCoops. Quite the adventure indeed.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:01 am

saltman wrote:(but they were from north av)

:wink:
someone here might care to elaborate/clarify :lol:

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:13 am

Geez your keen staying on land there :shock: :shock:
Been there 3 times, great wave and great place. Bit fickle tho. Those photos don't do One Palm (even tho the palm isn't there anymore) justice. I've got plenty of scars to prove it !!!!!
I wouldn't say its one of the longest waves in the world..........
Plenty of good waves in the bay with no one around, there is also a much better wave further inside the bay :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Great photos tho.

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:37 am

Someone hacked into my account and posted that other comment :evil:

As if i would call that 'fun'. It looks 'fun' on a postcard but i would literally have to grow some balls before i surf there as i am a kook and i'd be way outta my league :cry:

If i was there i'd still want to go out on the boat though to check it out ,take photos and cheer on the other guys as it'd be an experience, you'd be crazy not to.

Some really good shots Coops,start a portfolio matey :)

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:54 am

Chamberess wrote:Someone hacked into my account and posted that other comment :evil:
hahaha bullshit metre going ballistic

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:55 am

27. Fecking awesome. Might be my new desktop if that's ok Coops.

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:00 am

wanto wrote:
Chamberess wrote:Someone hacked into my account and posted that other comment :evil:
Ok so i just realised some complete moron has simply created an almost identical alias to mine :oops: :evil:

Seriously you (whoever it is) are sick and twisted that you are that obsessed with making me look like a fool or whatever that you have sat down and gone to the effort to create the account and upload the same av.

Sorry for the hijack Coops :oops:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:00 am

wanto wrote:
Have another look at the username and the number of posts, it’s a cham sham, shame.

Don’t think Ms C would be that stoopid!

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:05 am

Yes, today i am that stupid. Mind is distracted :x

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:15 am

Yeah, i forgot to get the Malaria tablets. So we made a huge fire and i wore jeans and a hoodie. Sweat machine!

In the jungle there was, what we called, The Malaria Ghost Camp. Some genius decided to put a surf camp near a swap and there was no light coming through the trees. Everyone got sick and the place closed down. It was a spooky place, even in the middle of the day. I woke up early one morning because my back was fcuked from sleeping on the ground and wandered through the path. I felt sketchy and the little huts were all over grown. Didnt stay there long.

We dont have any pics of us because no-one wanted to stay on the boat and take pics when everyone else was getting tubed. I love taking pics, but photography was a very distant second to surfing. Even when we had injuys we stayed out and just chilled for a couple of sets until the pain subdued.

I have heaps and heaps more pics, ive looked at them so much they are all looking the same. Ill post some more tonight.

Cheers for your comments, now get over there.

Longy: One Palm leave ugly scars. Its live too. I hit my head on the reef and it puffed up like an egg. We had betadine and peroxide, so it was all good.

p.s. Longy, Are you talking about Napalms or the rights on the other side Pu$$ys and Apocolypse?