Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Wyre
Owl status

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Wyre » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:50 am

I was surprised by how busy it was down there. I missed AJ by mere minutes, I got down a bit earlier- by 6am there were 20 or so surfers. It kept getting busier as the morning progressed.

It is defo on the travelling surfer's map. For good reason I guess.

I've been really into going there recently- such a dramatic beach, I love looking at those cliffs. And it still has that great thing where the choice is taken away from you. Once you are there, you have committed to that break, for better or worse.
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:33 pm

You can also go into the hills and have a wank.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:52 pm

It’s a fickle wave. Needs a settled swell for it to work. Anything too raw, it won’t handle. Packs a lot more punch than many other beach breaks. At six foot it’s got tonnes of grunt
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:57 pm

why so many old cnuts there Iggs?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:19 pm

Not sure. Perhaps grumpy old blokes that used to escape to the RNP beaches to score waves to themselves. But are now pissed that it’s no longer 1984. They’re all ocker.

Aside from Garie, in the RNP there’s other worthwhile spots. Some requiring a two hour plus round trip walking in. The RNP beaches all take a level of time commitment and often a bit of a
gamble. Because like AJ said, once you’re there, you’re there. You can either score or skunk out.
Sniff wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:33 pm

Cronulla guys?

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:53 pm

Yeah. And bundeena, and Illawarra. But I suspect many are from heathcote, engadine, Menai, etc. no cûnt actually lives there, however many seem to carry a sense of entitlement about them.
Sniff wrote:

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:00 pm

Oh for sure- it's everyone from all around plus backpackers. Just like Lennox!

There were 3 old guys on SUPs. kinda paunched gut, one was OK at it, but man- the lack of grace when those things are badly ridden is horrible to watch. That wobbly turning ship thing, the missed wave as they didn't quite get their paddling right, it was a shamozzle.

I've seen some Hawaiian cats make it look unreal, but these fellas...
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:13 pm

baby boomer SUP's have totally taken over a b-grade surf spot here.

which is OK, because they have been banned from the point and it's accepted to tell them to fcuk off back to x

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:26 pm

How's your surf matt mate getting on down the point Steve, all water under the bridge or does he get told to fcck off at all?
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:51 pm

Lowers more fun, I've been frolicking in the world's easiest wave

Here's something cool about that joint:

No SUPs, longboards, foils etc allowed full stop. Nobody even tries any more.

And there's a frothing pack of grommets, boys and girls. Grommets = healthy surf spot.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:12 pm

Checked the surf today at dawn and later at about 11am. Bunch of guys were sitting well out to sea, nothing much happening.

Kept watching. Then I saw a magnificent set marching in well out to sea. The first wave broke about 300m further out and 10' of whitewater rolled in over everyone.

Went further up the coast to get a better view. It was really thumping in, some of the biggest waves of the last few weeks. Got my mate out of bed, and we checked it again. Seemed to have dropped a bit. So we decided that we'd give it a go.

Rode back to get my board. When I stepped inside my stuff was scattered all over the room.

Someone had broken in. Pretty brazen, it's an extended clan of about 20 Balinese, plus about 10 bule and a pack of very territorial dogs. Hmmmm. But first break-in ever.

They got my tablet and phone, but missed my passport, credit cards and $1,200 cash.

So I spent the rest of the day hanging around while the broken window was fixed, and then went out to buy a new tablet and Sim card.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:13 pm

bummer Cranked.
inside job?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:02 pm

I really don't think so, at least none of the Balinese family members, they too are puzzled about who and how though.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:08 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:53 pm
Yeah. And bundeena, and Illawarra. But I suspect many are from heathcote, engadine, Menai, etc. no cûnt actually lives there, however many seem to carry a sense of entitlement about them.
Having grown up in Cronulla I reckon I’m qualified to comment. Most of the guys who surfed Garie were from Engadine or Heathcote. I’m sure it’s changed now.
Interesting fact though is that my grand parents built the first road through to Garie. It involved using their trucks from the clay mining they did. They’d drive a few metres and cut down some trees. Throw them off the side of the road and do the same again. It took them two years to get through. And they used to call it “garee”
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:09 am

I've chatted to a bunch of Irish or Poms who are mostly beginners. One bloke said, "I just bought this board yesterday." "What is it?", I asked. "A JS Blak Box". He'd been surfing for 6 months. Tell you what, though, for 6 months, he went okay. One was from Bondi. I reckon there's a bunch driving down to escape the Eastern Suburbs beaches. I prefer them to the cranky old entitled Aussie blokes.

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:18 am

steve shearer wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:13 pm

which is OK, because they have been banned from the point and it's accepted to tell them to fcuk off back to x
I’ve seen this happen.
As soon as he got out a guy went full aggro at him.
The SUPper went white in the face and paddle of shame back to the boat channel. :lol:

I had a dry hair (keep the ear dry) longboard down at arrawarra on the weekend. Female SUP taking turns, even less than her share actually.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:27 am

jimmy wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:08 pm
Hatchnam wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:53 pm
Having grown up in Cronulla I reckon I’m qualified to comment. Most of the guys who surfed Garie were from Engadine or Heathcote. I’m sure it’s changed now.
Interesting fact though is that my grand parents built the first road through to Garie. It involved using their trucks from the clay mining they did. They’d drive a few metres and cut down some trees. Throw them off the side of the road and do the same again. It took them two years to get through. And they used to call it “garee”
Wow! That's a bit of history.

I used to love Garie, only about a 30 min drive from Cronulla and you're in a completely differently world.

How's the view checking it from the top of the hill.