Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Wyre
Owl status

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Wyre » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:24 pm

Man, I got some biscuits this morning!
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:52 pm

Bit of a mixed bag. Wanted to go out up north end but got a park down south so paddled out. Seemed to be banks everywhere. South was a bit of a shitfight but managed to nab one before it became too much. Went to next bank and got thoroughly frustrated before lobbing where I intended to go out in the first place. A couple of very rippy bowling kind of little waves. Not sure what you would call that. Then saw a few shapely lefts coming through north of the Pav and nabbed one of those.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:26 am

Cant you just walk down, dont you live in Bondi?
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:50 pm

Bondi Junctionish. Closer to Bronte really. Often walk down there in summer for a swim. Bit of hike back up though.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:30 pm

Some ok waves at JBay today. Hope it holds out for the comp.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:35 pm

You’ve probably all seen the JBay photos on Swellnet, but the second photo of Connor Coffin is an absolute classic JBay shot.
https://www.swellnet.com/news/swellnet- ... -jbay-warm

Swellnet also report that waves for the event are unlikely to be top JBay.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:52 pm

Bit more size and push this afternoon. Low crowds too. Pleasant.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:08 pm

And the water is ridiculously warm for this time of year. Thankyou global warming.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:05 pm

Managed a surf this arvo. Took a couple of drops but the sections didn't quite connect. Paddled further up and got a couple of fun ones that kept walling up right through to the beach with plenty of speed. Stoked. Pleasant afternoon.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:09 am

My reincarnation as a surfer is scheduled for next Tuesday. I'll fill everyone in the vicissitudes I have suffered shortly. It's a cautionary tale.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:21 am

I thought you were already back in the water Cranked?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:06 am

fcuken crystal clear morning, lr se groundswell, not big but whistle clean.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:39 am

steve shearer wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:21 am
Technically I guess, I have surfed twice on my 8' McCoy, once for 30 minutes, the other for an hour.

ATM I can't do push-ups nor chin-ups, but I'm working on easier variants. I'm adding about 10% more load to my exercise routine nearly every day and surfing when there's reasonable surf (about once/week).

I'm going back in the biggest and most consistent month of the year and there is no-where small to surf on the bukit near where I stay, and now I'm not keen on riding a bike anywhere really, so I'll be tempted to surf whats available locally.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:00 am

And I just finished packing two nuggets: a 7'2 epoxy (55l) and a 7'4 poly (63l). Buoyancy baby, that's where its at.

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:58 am

Cranked wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:39 am
steve shearer wrote:
Technically I guess, I have surfed twice on my 8' McCoy, once for 30 minutes, the other for an hour.

ATM I can't do push-ups nor chin-ups, but I'm working on easier variants. I'm adding about 10% more load to my exercise routine nearly every day and surfing when there's reasonable surf (about once/week).

I'm going back in the biggest and most consistent month of the year and there is no-where small to surf on the bukit near where I stay, and now I'm not keen on riding a bike anywhere really, so I'll be tempted to surf whats available locally.
Cranky - how are you finding your power in both paddling and popping up?

After i had rehabbed my screwed shoulder, i did a lot of weights work to get strength back but first surf i realised the work i had done was slow and controlled. I needed a lot more work developing the explosive power for sprint paddling and pop ups.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:14 pm

I had a fun surf at the local.

rode my MC 6'3" which felt so fcuking good. Hasn't been wet for a while, which speaks to the generally crappy surf we've had in the last 12 months.

clean jump off and as I was paddling out I was watching a bloke surfing towards me on a wave. I saw a big bait ball- mullet- in the wave and as he kicked off a 6-8ft bronzey split the bait ball in half as it came surfing into them.
So the bait ball and shark is about 30 metres from me and now in the whitewater, which I will have to duck dive, imminently.
You're fcuking joking, I thought. So I turned around and rode the whitewater straight back up the rocks.

stood on the rocks for about 5 minutes thinking about how stupid it would look trying to get a gofundme page up if I did get bit and couldn't work.......then jumped off and sat really wide waiting for these long period sets that were really amazing freight trains. With no fear.
Insta-mums put more fear into me than sharks, true.

Ive been downshifting up and down through quiver lately. Enjoying that a lot. There is a very big difference between standard high performance shortboards made with no wave in mind and my custom boards made with specific requirements. This MC with its concave, but mainly the nose to tail tucked edge rail feels so positive and drivey.

As I get older my surfing feels like its still improving in good waves. That might be delusional, but it sure feels better.
Conversely it feels worse, so much worse in shitty surf.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:31 pm

channels wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:58 am
Cranked wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:39 am
steve shearer wrote:

Cranky - how are you finding your power in both paddling and popping up?

After i had rehabbed my screwed shoulder, i did a lot of weights work to get strength back but first surf i realised the work i had done was slow and controlled. I needed a lot more work developing the explosive power for sprint paddling and pop ups.
I did 10 push-ups and 10 pop-ups a week ago and there was significant shoulder pain the next day, so I stopped everything for 2 days and went back a week in my fitness schedule.

I am getting to my feet fairly smoothly on my 8' McCoy (its a quad-zillion litres), and really I'm not expecting to do much during my 2 weeks in Bali. I would be happier if it was late season and small (I'll be back in Sept and Nov). Any pain and I'll stop surfing until it goes, so I anticipate a lot of down time.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:57 pm

keep your surfs short and sweet.