Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Drailed » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:17 pm

Mate, you dont even know Laird so dont even talk about him.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:21 pm

I'm not really sure how to respond. I've spent quite a lot of time surfing on my own, probably from my middish teens I suppose, so it's not something that freaks me out or makes me feel lonely or weird. I pretty much hate other surfers, so don't think of surfing as any sort of social activity. Perhaps surfing, with all its narcissism and self-absorbtion, just kinda amplifies what you're feeling generally and if there's no one else around there are no other voices to intrude on your inner monologue. Christ knows

What I do get occasionally is a strong feeling of lack of satiety I suppose. It always reminds me of the line in one of Martin Amis's books about a character craving another cigarette even while he's still smoking one. The time I remember most is from 25 years ago, surfing the 300-400 yard right hand point off Lobos in the Canaries. It was 4-6 ft, perfect and with only a handful out so no competition yet I can still recall that feeling of intense envy?, jealousy? hunger? dunno, can't accurately describe it when paddling back out after kicking out. No real satisfaction just AGAIN, MORE. Bizarrely, I had it the other day when it was 1-2ft
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:29 pm

On the other hand......Nick, unlike everyone else on here, rarely paddles out without knowing someone. Guess it's a novelty.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:38 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:50 pm
steve shearer wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:58 pm
oh god, don't martyr yourself over a good days surfing for chrissakes.

thats what we do.
Look steve. I’m just thinking about it for chrissakes.
Yeah I know, it's great.
I'm just responding to the guilt, which I see expressed sometimes by others close to me.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:42 pm

And I know its a minority, unfashionable view but I love the camaraderie of surfing.

love my crew, love my people.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:43 pm

Oh jesus that was ghey Steve.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:48 pm

He's gotta keep pressing the flesh, kissing the babies loof otherwise his Beachgrit flock will turn on him. Behind closed doors he goes all Elton John, all 'oh you would. not. believe. this ghastly little man on the internet and his dreadful surfing stories'
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:51 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:44 pm
Maybe I am beginning to see some things differently in the wake of my dad's death. I used to kid myself that he wanted to hear about our surfing adventures, and he always seemed to enjoy the stories.
I think I missed something while I was on sabbatical.

Sorry about your dad, Nick. From what you've posted over the years, he sounded like a great role model and that you had a solid relationship with him.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:57 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:42 pm
And I know its a minority, unfashionable view but I love the camaraderie of surfing.

love my crew, love my people.
I agree Steve.
There is nothing like having a good fun surf to yourself- once in a while.
But from the time I got back onto surfing in the mid 80s I've found myself as part of a great group of surfers.
Currumbin Alley, still friends with some of that crew.
The Bower, awesome early morning group.
And for the last 12 years at Moffs.
In tandem with that, for the last 6 as an honorary member of the group of Brissos who come up on Wednesdays.

Lots of fun, plenty of good natured bullshitting and probably most importantly, lots of encouragement to improve.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:59 pm

Well I’ve lived with the camaraderie of surfing since my very first day of it. Could have done with some of it today.

Thanks aj! It wasn’t long ago and I am still passing through the early stages of it.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:02 pm

When my mum died many years ago....I walked down to the beach for a swim at Wommin Bay on the day of the funeral with an old girlfriend who had come over to give a bit of moral support. Unusually the surf was looking a lot better than usual. Went back and got my board and paddled out. I caught one wave and pulled into the best barrel I can safely say I ever saw or surfed along there. Came out paddled in and went to the ceremony.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:02 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:29 pm
On the other hand......Nick, unlike everyone else on here, rarely paddles out without knowing someone. Guess it's a novelty.
It’s not. I’ve had many surfs like today, like bombing 6-10’ plus days here in Sydney by myself. This was the first time I experienced the feeling of it being a weird, feral thing to do.

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:11 pm

It's not a popular or easy thing to admit to, but I didn't miss my father after he died. I have to pretend to everyone (except my wife) that I do. We didn't have a bad relationship. It was probably best described as superficial.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:52 pm

Love your honesty Aj.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:10 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:02 pm
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:29 pm
It’s not. I’ve had many surfs like today, like bombing 6-10’ plus days here in Sydney by myself. This was the first time I experienced the feeling of it being a weird, feral thing to do.
Is "weird" exactly what you mean Nick? Were there associated feelings and emotions?

Even weird has a range of meanings:
1 : suggesting something supernatural; unearthly
2 : of strange or extraordinary character : odd, fantastic. 3 : of, relating to, or caused by witchcraft or the supernatural : magical. weird.

I'm usually thankful to be by myself, although I do enjoy surfing with a few buddies more
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:40 pm

Well grief works in mysterious ways. Often a sense of loss can feel like a feeling of being in the wild. Also losing an elder family member is the precursor of fundamental change n your life that maybe your senses feel before your logical mind processes the implications.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:41 pm

I've got a pretty shit memory, but one thing that is clear, especially the feeling, is the day of my mum's funeral. After the service, there was a wake back at our house. I had only just turned eighteen and didn't understand why the adults were standing around, drinking and laughing. So, I quietly snuck off and went down to Long Reef. It was mid-winter. The surf was small, maybe 2-3 foot with a moderate SW blowing. No one was out at No Man's and I had it to myself for a couple of hours. I remember the colour and texture of the water, the warmth of the sun and the chill of the air, the spray off the back of the waves, even the bittersweet feeling of surfing when everyone else was at school. It was weird and beautiful and sad and I was alone, but not lonely. I'm glad I had surfing to turn to that day.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:44 pm

Grief is a hell of a journey.