New Toy

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

New Toy

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:37 am

Wanted a Pacer for years since one passed the under the arm test years ago.
Generally too expensive second hand.
New = $1595.

Got hold of this one last week for $400. Just a few scratches and marks. No repairs.

Rides beautifully and paddles easily.

Bargain.

Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: New Toy

Post by steve shearer » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:22 pm

I like the outline Trev.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:28 pm

yeah sweet, good price too!
though i'd prefer a rounded pin tail, for the aesthetic.

how would the cut off square differ in performance from a rounded pin?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:53 pm

No Pants Lance wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:28 pm
yeah sweet, good price too!
though i'd prefer a rounded pin tail, for the aesthetic.

how would the cut off square differ in performance from a rounded pin?
The new one my mate bought has a rounded pin.
I've never ridden a rounded pin so I can't compare.
I like the square tail because that's the way they were "back in the day".
It hangs in well on steep take offs which surprised me a bit.
Also turns really well despite the relatively short (9") fin which came out of my John Sojoski board which has two side bites to help.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:27 pm

Square tails tend to turn from the bottom of the wave. Rounded pins tend to hold in hollower waves. This is all relative on a mal though. Square tail offers more planing area when nose riding so they tend to hold up higher I think. Nice looking board Trev.
It was Mal City at Crescent this week. Pretty unimpressed with the skill level of a lot of the hipster crew on retro logs. Sometimes you see a lot of young guys and gals that can kill it but this time not so many. Japanese girl was going pretty good though.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:19 pm

Thanks beanie.
I'm really happy with it.
Surprisingly it hangs in well on steep take offs. But yes, straight down and a big bottom turn. Very little rocker, which is what I wanted. So I expected a few nose dives but it hasn't happened yet.
Beanpole

Skipper

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri May 31, 2019 9:28 am

On Wednesday I was surfing a very small beachie at Maroochydore.
Good fun, maybe 50 to 100 metre rides.
Using this board and Noel Woods, one of the owners of BeachBeat came out on a current version. I was talking to him about the Pacers. He remembers this board.
Not just bullshitting. He told me who he sold it to. (The guy I bought it from).
It's probably 15 years old. They were designed to match as closely as possible the 60s shapes and were completely hand made.
I am loving it.
I'll give it a run in the Alex Winter Classic in a couple of weeks.
Beanpole

Skipper

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri May 31, 2019 9:30 am

BTW.
At 15 years old, it's, my youngest board.
Beanpole

Skipper

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Fri May 31, 2019 9:48 am

Those Pacers do feel great under the arm, I have fondled a few by Matt Keane, beautiful rails. Who shaped your Trev?
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri May 31, 2019 10:26 am

JaM71 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:48 am
Those Pacers do feel great under the arm, I have fondled a few by Matt Keane, beautiful rails. Who shaped your Trev?
Yep. Matt.
His brother Peter is a regular surfing buddy of mine.
Beanpole

Skipper

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:06 pm

You’d have to be pretty excited about that score. Sweet looking log
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:34 pm

JET01 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:06 pm
Two months in and I'm still loving it.
My green John Broadhurst is slightly smaller (And older) but the transition from one to the other and back is really easy.
Beanpole

Skipper

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:29 pm

Trev wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:34 pm
JET01 wrote:
My green John Broadhurst is slightly smaller (And older) but the transition from one to the other and back is really easy.
Those curves were developed to their optimum around '66 Trev , as you would know . It was the seminal year for the development of traditional logs . The modern version has improved with a slight reduction in weight ( but not too much ) . I have a set of curves from '66 , that were given to me by Joe Larkin , and they will always be my bench mark for a traditional log . I built a few balsa boards with John Broadhurst (R.I.P John) - he was a great shaper , of considerable experience at the top level.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:48 am

kayu wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:29 pm
Trev wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:34 pm
JET01 wrote:
Those curves were developed to their optimum around '66 Trev , as you would know . It was the seminal year for the development of traditional logs . The modern version has improved with a slight reduction in weight ( but not too much ) . I have a set of curves from '66 , that were given to me by Joe Larkin , and they will always be my bench mark for a traditional log . I built a few balsa boards with John Broadhurst (R.I.P John) - he was a great shaper , of considerable experience at the top level.
John was a popular member of the Alley crew. Well remembered by a group of us still.
Beanpole

Skipper

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:50 pm

That is a very nice looking longboard mate, great score
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:03 pm

Grooter wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:50 pm
That is a very nice looking longboard mate, great score
I haven't ridden it since my op. Been riding the Broadhurst.
But plan to go searching for waves with it this week.
QLD Titles coming up shortly.
Beanpole

Skipper