Bells Beach

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Bells Beach

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:47 pm

godsavethequeen wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:35 pm
Yeah I get that regional government has stepped into the bottomless moneypit breach vacated by the clothing companies but it still doesn't feel like a particularly sustainable business model. Perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps they'll focus on the 'stadium' approach and the govt reward for dragging x number of people to the beach or to the pool plus a bit of sponsorship plus a bit of VIP packages etc etc all adds up to something worthwhile. Still doesn't address my central point of it being pretty dismal viewing though. At what point do the assembled masses realise that the emperor is naked? Or perhaps they don't. One of the real downsides of being on the spectrum is the inability to tune in to what the people want, how they'll respond. To me, the thought of spending eight hours in the company of 50,000 Victorians packed into a freezing westerly chanting Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie Oi Oi Oi and watching a procession of goofyfoots safely windscreen wiper their way into the closeout gives me the shivers but no doubt to others it's the perfect Easter break
You won’t say that tomorrow when John John rips the bag out of it
Erase.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:48 pm

It's pretty tempting I must say. We'd need a name for our gang though - how about The Shiite Minority? Two Poms and a Poofta?
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:49 pm

BA wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:27 am
Plenty of talk about whether the girls get sent out tomorrow. Some interesting comments from Maurice Cole here.

https://beachgrit.com/2019/04/from-the- ... -tomorrow/

10-12’ @ 17 seconds with a 40 knot cross-onshore. Gonna be an interesting day.
They should run the womens at Fishos.
daryl wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:43 am
We were waiting to get a donkey until it killed someone

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:49 pm

The Mighty Sunbird wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:47 pm
One swallow doesn't make a summer, TMS. Just ask loof
Beanpole wrote:
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:50 pm

godsavethequeen wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:35 pm
Yeah I get that regional government has stepped into the bottomless moneypit breach vacated by the clothing companies but it still doesn't feel like a particularly sustainable business model. Perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps they'll focus on the 'stadium' approach and the govt reward for dragging x number of people to the beach or to the pool plus a bit of sponsorship plus a bit of VIP packages etc etc all adds up to something worthwhile. Still doesn't address my central point of it being pretty dismal viewing though. At what point do the assembled masses realise that the emperor is naked? Or perhaps they don't. One of the real downsides of being on the spectrum is the inability to tune in to what the people want, how they'll respond. To me, the thought of spending eight hours in the company of 50,000 Victorians packed into a freezing westerly chanting Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie Oi Oi Oi and watching a procession of goofyfoots safely windscreen wiper their way into the closeout gives me the shivers but no doubt to others it's the perfect Easter break
Oh me too.

50 years and still going, I'd say it would have toppled over by now.

If Dirk Ziff drops pro surfing the new Tour will rise from the ashes with Bells Beach as it's foundation stone.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:56 pm

pinhead wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:49 pm
BA wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:27 am
Plenty of talk about whether the girls get sent out tomorrow. Some interesting comments from Maurice Cole here.

https://beachgrit.com/2019/04/from-the- ... -tomorrow/

10-12’ @ 17 seconds with a 40 knot cross-onshore. Gonna be an interesting day.
They should run the womens at Fishos.
Don’t think the locals will be prepared to give up 3ft Fishos for the day.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:58 pm

Godsave, as a member of team spectrum I feel your pain, although that probably disqualifies me.

One thing I've learnt while doing beach surveys is that people want very different things from their beach experience.
A substantial minority, 30% or so of those at metropolitan beaches, say they would ONLY go to beaches/breaks/peaks that were already crowded, because they took that to be a signal that they were the best locations.
This included basically all Brazilians and most Italians, Dutch and scandos. Poms were more variable. Aussies split based on age, young guys seem to like crowds, perhaps because they're in their prime.

It took me a few months to process that fact. It literally kept me awake at night, struggling to get my head around the fact that people deliberately sought out crowds.

I gather there's a similar range in responses to pro surfing. Nick routinely drives for more than a day to attend Bells, whereas if I lived there I'd make sure I was away that weekend.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:03 pm

It’s only about a 10 hour drive to Torquay.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:06 pm

BA wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:03 pm
Nick's a slow driver. :-o
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:10 pm

He does seem to have a fascination with Gundagai too.

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:15 pm

Actually - There was only a handful out at Centreside this afternoon. Everywhere else was packed. You had to drive to Southside from Jarrosite road and hike down the hill. Got a couple of nice ones. Hiking back up the hill wasn't so much fun though.
daryl wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:43 am
We were waiting to get a donkey until it killed someone

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:29 pm

I agree with GS. I reckon it’s cooked. No doubt pro surfing will always exist but the current model doesn’t work. The viewership is unbelievably low and there simply isn’t the endless pit of money from the surf companies anymore.
Rabbit’s model of the dream tour is the thing to save it I reckon.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:39 pm

Can you gimme a brief lowdown on Rabbit's concept?
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:41 pm

godsavethequeen wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:49 pm
The Mighty Sunbird wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:47 pm
One swallow doesn't make a summer, TMS. Just ask loof
True. It’s a pretty good start, but.
Erase.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:49 pm

There's that moment, and it still gets me every time in spite of everything, where you watch the opening montage and surfing - professional surfing! - looks fucking fantastic, a seductive mix of outrageous skill, photogenic competitors and sumptuous locations. The heart quickens and then we cut to live action and two blokes bobbing around not doing much and all that energy goes pffffftttt like a deflating balloon, seldom to be recovered. It's probably fixable but probably not while retaining the dreary plod through a thousand half-hour heats format
Beanpole wrote:

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:02 pm

Wyre wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:39 pm
The original Dream Tour was what took them to Tahiti originally and Gland and that ridiculous spectacle that was in Mexico. I’ll happily stand corrected by NC and Shearer but it was the when pro surfing was exciting. I understand that they need to have venues in Brazil and Aus that cater to the masses but why not have longer waiting periods and have all the pros on standby to fly to wherever when the forecast looks good. Snapper for example has been boring IMO since the 2013? finish at Kirra.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:50 pm

Cyclone wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:06 pm
BA wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:03 pm
Nick's a slow driver. :-o
He’s got a little car.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:12 pm

jimmy wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:02 pm
Wyre wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:39 pm
The original Dream Tour was what took them to Tahiti originally and Gland and that ridiculous spectacle that was in Mexico. I’ll happily stand corrected by NC and Shearer but it was the when pro surfing was exciting. I understand that they need to have venues in Brazil and Aus that cater to the masses but why not have longer waiting periods and have all the pros on standby to fly to wherever when the forecast looks good. Snapper for example has been boring IMO since the 2013? finish at Kirra.
Well honestly it had very little to do with Rabbit. The first G-land event in 1995 had nothing to do with him at all, it was pretty much Bruce Raymond swinging for the fences. The original encouragement for it came from Graham Cassidy who was the ASP head guy at the time Bruce first thought of it. The first Teahupoo event was sponsored by a Tahitian tourist pearl selling outfit in 1997, followed by Gotcha in 1998, won by Koby Abberton, the first really crazy images of Chopes came from that event. It wasn't a CT, just a pretty cheap QS. The Mexico event was a Rip Curl Search event; it was held in 2006.

Bugs did great work as the ASP head man, but a lot of that work was just keeping everyone on board the bus. His ASP named the Dream Tour, but it was already fundamentally created by the time he took the reins.