Sumba

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

JET01
barnacle

Sumba

Post by JET01 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:15 pm

I’m going in April, Sumba Surf Camp in Kerewei, sounds like there’s a few other punters going too.

Would love to hear from anyone that’s been. Favourite waves, fun things to do, places to avoid, what boards did you take.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

JET01
barnacle

Re: Sumba

Post by JET01 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:04 pm

My mate has been before, but he’s not the kind of guy that gets into the details too much.
The convo goes down the like this...
“How was your trip?”
“Got some waves, drank heaps of beer and the food was pretty good man”
“What were the waves like?”
“Some good, some not so good, you know, it’s indo man”

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:38 am

Funny I was looking at that place for a trip at the same time. We decided against it as it looked a bit fickle, sounds like if you do get good conditions you will have them pretty much to yourself
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:04 pm

We’ve got to do an overnight stay in Bali on the way there as the flights don’t line up.
Arriving in the arvo in Bali and thinking we’ll possibly do a quick trip out to airport lefts or rights in the morning before the flight out to Tambolaka Sumba the following arvo.
We’re not too fussed on the standard of accommodation and happy to share a room.
Would prefer somewhere that will organise the airport transfers to and from.
any suggestions?

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:46 pm

saltman wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:21 pm
Harris’s Hotel At Tuban is close to airport and the surf
Baruna Holiday In on the beach and a bit more upmarket
There’s a few small hotels on the road to the Baruna that are walking distance from airport reef as well
Thanks mate, ill look into them.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:54 pm

JET01 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:46 pm
saltman wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:21 pm
Harris’s Hotel At Tuban is close to airport and the surf
Baruna Holiday In on the beach and a bit more upmarket
There’s a few small hotels on the road to the Baruna that are walking distance from airport reef as well
Thanks mate, ill look into them.
I’ve only surfed airports 6 times and always thought it was a soft mal wave and vowed never to go back. Last trip back from the Ments we had a lay over and stayed the night in Bali right at Airports. We got a bit skunked on the trip and there were no lefts working at all so I was a bit bummed. Turns out the right swell hit Airports and I got the best waves of that trip in Bali FFS. Resented paying the thousands for the Ments bit. Hadn’t seen airports line up like that before and was epic.
Sorry I sound like Beanmong
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:21 pm

Yeah, you Cnut. Telling a story about surfing with a bit of personal detail thrown in.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:46 pm

Kuta reef is world class though. Last time I surfed it was about 8 years ago. I counted 70 surfers in the water as we motored by, so I said drop me at middles, pick me up in 2 hours, as there was only about 10 people there.

The wind was really getting into middles though, so I paddled back down to Kuta reef, it was a good size and hollow, I just sat deeper than everyone and scored a good selection of set waves, the crowd was mainly euros and no one wanted them :-D-:
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:11 pm

I've only surfed it a couple of times. Fun wave. First time I paddled out from shore on an old chewed up board that was hanging around the losman in Legian I was staying at. I had ditched my board in Sri Lanka before going to India. Kept the leggie luckily since the board didn't have one.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:18 pm

Cranked wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:46 pm
Kuta reef is world class though. Last time I surfed it was about 8 years ago. I counted 70 surfers in the water as we motored by, so I said drop me at middles, pick me up in 2 hours, as there was only about 10 people there.

The wind was really getting into middles though, so I paddled back down to Kuta reef, it was a good size and hollow, I just sat deeper than everyone and scored a good selection of set waves, the crowd was mainly euros and no one wanted them :-D-:
Is it Cranky? I’ve never surfed there. Always thought Airports was a better wave from what I’d heard.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:29 pm

jimmy wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:18 pm
Cranked wrote:

Is it Cranky? I’ve never surfed there. Always thought Airports was a better wave from what I’d heard.
Airports right is a fun wave, when Ulu's is basically out of control size wise. Steep running wall, doesn't really barrel from my couple of times out there. Haven't surfed airports left but a couple of mates have and they said it Cranks. Pitches out and can get hollow. Tide dependant.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:10 pm

jimmy wrote:
Cranked wrote:

No way. I spent years surfing Kuta Reef and Airport Lefts. Kuta reef is long fast and hollow, Airport Lefts are short and fat. We all surfed Kuta Reef in the early 80s, it was the performance wave, hardly anyone surfed Airport Lefts. By about 85 Kuta Reef was too crowded with all the hot surfers of the day and I started surfing Airport Lefts to escape the crowds. Just about no one surfed Middles.

Up to the late 80s that's where we surfed but the crowds drove us to Medewi, Balian, Ulus, Bingin, Green Ball, etc in the early 90s and then the rest of Nusa Tengara in the late 90s.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:18 pm

black duck wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:29 pm
jimmy wrote:
Cranked wrote:

Airports right is a fun wave, when Ulu's is basically out of control size wise. Steep running wall, doesn't really barrel from my couple of times out there. Haven't surfed airports left but a couple of mates have and they said it Cranks. Pitches out and can get hollow. Tide dependant.
In my opinion Airport Lefts and Kuta Reef don't hold any real size, double overhead is about their limit. I surfed the lefts by myself in that big swell around 1990, the one where Jim Banks caught what was probably the biggest wave surfed at ulus, that is until last years swell.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:03 pm

Cranked wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:18 pm
black duck wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:29 pm
jimmy wrote:
Cranked wrote:

In my opinion Airport Lefts and Kuta Reef don't hold any real size, double overhead is about their limit. I surfed the lefts by myself in that big swell around 1990, the one where Jim Banks caught what was probably the biggest wave surfed at ulus, that is until last years swell.
Interesting your take on airport lefts being a fat wave, not what i've heard from a couple of mates that tend to brag a bit...
Agree about size though. Surfed airport rights when Ulu's was about 10ft, no one out. Swell was a bit out of control and breaking all over the shop. Airport rights was prolly 4-6ft. Went back to Ulus when the swell had settled in the afternoon, still big but not so out of control and wonky. Had my arse handed to me after a couple of late drops, pinned to the reef, unpleasant. There were a couple of young guys from West Oz that were all over it, along with a few locals. To this day it remains as some of the best looking waves i've seen, big clean throaty barrels on the ones that hit the reef right.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:38 am

Duck for around 10 years, 82 to 92, Airport Lefts was my go to wave, I surfed it endlessly in all sorts of conditions. By 92 the crowds had slowly increased though and it was time to move on

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:46 am

I don't think Ulus is ever out of control size wise. It was perfection last year at 35'. There's a few good surfers who make the case for outside corner being a better option than gradjagan when it's really big

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:35 am

agree. Outside Corner is insane, bigger the better.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:11 am

25 July 2018
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UdDx4UGlJww

Honestly, it looked much bigger and more critical if you were there.

There were only 3 waves caught on the peak of the swell, and those were just before this one and just as big. Each time the rider pulled into a massive, massive tube, the screams and groans from the 20 odd people watching were incredible. One tube was made, the other was much longer but was not marketable - neither rider had any other option than pulling in.