The Good Luck A Number One McCoy Thread

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cranked
Duke Status

Re: The Good Luck A Number One McCoy Thread

Post by Cranked » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:21 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:36 am
Cranked wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:41 pm
Nick Carroll wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:23 pm
Beanpole wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:53 pm
You've got to hand it to Cheyne though riding those Fcuking things in solid waves.
He isn't.

The board he won Bells on in 1984 was made by Terry Fitzgerald.

The boards he is riding in the photos above were made by Glen Minami.

All of them are a far cry from those boggy wide tailed pieces of shit he failed to win a world title on.
FFS Nick, he came second four times so his boards went better for him than anyone else except for just one person for four years. If his were so bad what does that say about the boards everyone else were riding?
Ha ha well I was actually there cranky. I used to surf against Cheyne in contests and shit. Cheyne ripped on many of the boards Geoff made him, specially from 77 through to 79-80. To me that was the pinnacle of the McCoy design era, Geoff made superb and often highly innovative boards for a bunch of great surfers, his twist rocker idea for Larry Blair at Pipe was bold and fantastic and I’m sorta surprised it isn’t still in use, though I guess surfing Pipe has advanced a bit since then. The “no-nose” singlies through that 79-80 period were pretty much the best boards on tour and were an essential precursor to the thruster, Simon adopted the no-nose template and kept it intact when he began sticking on three fins. But when Geoff responded to the thruster by blowing out tail widths and deforming the outline, it was a real hammer blow to Cheyne’s competitiveness, the design just didn’t get anywhere near a standard no-nose outlined thruster and it began to push away Geoff’s team riders, they wanted to believe but they just couldn’t match the performances of their peers on those boards. In the end every one of them moved on and their surfing improved in the process.

Cheyne’s best win on a McCoy was that Coke contest at Bells in 79, after that Lazor Zap he had two more great wins, Bells and the Billabong Pro at Sunset, one was on a TF and the other on a Minami. I know you don’t judge designs purely off contest results but they’re a fcuken good guide nonetheless, especially when they are big wins.
Thanks for putting it all into an astute and well observed historical contest Nick
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:50 pm

Well pickle me grandmother!

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:59 pm

tootr wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:50 pm
Well pickle me grandmother!

The fin is in back-to-front

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:14 pm

I had four customs from Terry in the early (mid?) eighties. A pair of Drifta's, 6'8 and 6'4, that I took to Gragagan - Terry said the 6'8 was good for 10' Gragagan and it was.

The other two, a 5'11 and 6'2 were a pair of McCoy inspired singles for the east coast. They had the rounded "boat" hull noses and widish tails (15"/16"?) with hard "V". I can't remember where the V started though, but I kinda guess it was rounded in the nose and transitioned to a hard panel V towards the tail. I surfed them with Cheynes Winged Keel

jeffn

Post by jeffn » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:45 am

arrrrgghhhh
Last edited by jeffn on Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:00 am

Nice to have another opinion.
But geez, Davros has demonstrated a pretty fair knowledge over a long time. No need to get nasty.

(Unless you know him of course)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:57 am

people seem to forget that Geoff developed the nugget , and associated designs specifically for the average punters . He still shapes custom boards for some of his ex pro team riders , but those boards wouldn't be standard or off the rack models......and he has more work than he needs . There's many long term board builders all over the world that would kill to have anywhere near Geoff's global market.....just sayin.

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:53 pm

He was smart. Up until 5 maybe a few years longer only retro boards had volume. I remember seeing McCoys everywhere. Now shapers/brands get that foam is goodness and McCoys seem to have dropped off. But they had a big resurgence for sure 5-10 years ago.

A shop where I live has started stocking them and the shop owner is fully stoked on them. He loves them. I’ll probably demo out of curiosity.

People can’t be wrong. When enough experienced surfers start saying things like “you know, they just never appealed to me but wow I love them now” You need to listen.
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:27 pm

I hate to be a naysayer but there’s a reason that MR won four titles and Cheyne won none. I’m sure that the McCoys go OK but the MR super twin is one of the greatest boards of all time.
If I had a choice between a McCoy and and MR I’d go for the MR all day every day.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:40 pm

jimmy wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:27 pm
I hate to be a naysayer but there’s a reason that MR won four titles and Cheyne won none. I’m sure that the McCoys go OK but the MR super twin is one of the greatest boards of all time.
If I had a choice between a McCoy and and MR I’d go for the MR all day every day.
Come on Jimmy! Their difference in skills is negligable compared to their difference to the average surfer.
* shakes head* :-D-:
Both MR and Cheyne were incredible surfers on excellent boards. I've surfed lots of MR's and McCoys, they are great boards, the McCoys are easier to ride and handle in bigger and more critical situations though.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:23 am

When we were grommets a mate had a McCoy twinnie it was a great board
Erase.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:24 am

And I had a MR twinnie and it was better
Erase.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:36 am

That makes sense .....MR learnt his chops as a shaper under McCoy.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:34 pm

Twinnies weren't popular on the Gold Coast back in the day. I remember when Gary Timperly came up from Byron and won the Stubbies on one it was controversial. He surfed good though. Oddly enough Tommy Peterson used to ride a few.

Only twinnie I owned was a snapped Surfboards Hawaiian one I bought for a few bucks. Got barrelled on it a few times though.
Last edited by Beanpole on Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:31 pm

The thought has crossed my mind lately to try a McCoy. I'm put off by the FCUKING HUGE LOGO on them. The McTavish ones were bad enough till he revamped the image with a classier, more discrete logo.
There's an interesting Bob Cooper article from the 80s in the Australian Surfing History Site that points out the evolution of the McCoy logo from the Keyo logo which evolved from the Hobie logo. There's a few good reads by Cooper on there. I've been reading a few since I heard of his passing. Real good one about the development of the Pig Board design. He reckoned it happened because someone painted a pig on the bottom of the board after it was shaped and the glasser glassed the fin on the end the pig wasn't facing. Seemed to go well so a new wide point rear design was born.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:29 pm

Think we need a fact check on that one Beans. NC?
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:40 pm

That's his story.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:10 pm

The McCoy logo was inspired by Denny Keyo's logo......what they both are is what's known as the Coca Cola font , and the Coca Cola logo is the most recognizable logo in the history of advertising......which is basically why they both use the "Coca Cola" font.