Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: Butts, beach_defender, Shari, collnarra, Forum Moderators

User avatar
Trev
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 20830
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:11 pm
Location: Any Point Break

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Trev » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:35 pm

Thud wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:39 pm
Nick Carroll wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:18 pm
Thud wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:45 pm

But Nick, do you really think it's inflammatory to call someone gay, even if they are not? Or as you say, it's the implication that if he were he be ridiculed or castigated (I said castigated).
I’ll try again shall I

I’ve seen this hinted at and rumoured a number of times over the past three or four years on various surf related websites

It’s always been expressed in a slimy way, ie played as innuendo rather than a statement of fact. Clearly the intent is a bit salacious.

So why let people get away with that? Why not just bust ‘em on it? The fact is that other people’s sexuality is none of their business, yet they wanna play out the innuendo like it somehow is. It’s pathetic.

As far as surf community or industry secrets go, well I read about quite a few of them also hinted at in similar manner. Whenever I’ve gone and dug around behind the scenes with the rumour spreader person, because I’m trying to actually find out about something, the rumour turns out to be completely baseless and the rumour spreader eventually admits to having no source or info whatsoever. So far I have a 100% negative hit rate on this front.

I guess what I would say is, if you don’t know something for sure and it involves somebody else’s private life, don’t fcuken write about it on the Internet. And if you read somebody writing such stuff, particularly in forums or comment sections, be almost totally sure it’s bullshit.
Sure. But you sound like a school teacher, not a journalist.

Don't you think by giving it oxygen you're creating a fire where it was just school boy humour? Point is I don't think he needs protecting, I don't think it's a slur.

Anyway "class dismissed".
I can see where Nick's coming from.
The rumours about Thorpie circulated for years before he came out.
And they were always spread in a sort of breathless, underhand way, which in itself tends to suggest something sleazy.

Yet once it was confirmed everyone is sticking up for him.

Nothing's changed except the way people talk about it.
#sixfeetissixfeet!

User avatar
Trev
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 20830
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:11 pm
Location: Any Point Break

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Trev » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:36 pm

PS.
He did come out, didn't he?
#sixfeetissixfeet!

User avatar
BA
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 7084
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:03 pm
Location: tits

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by BA » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:02 pm

Image

User avatar
Thud
Owl status
Posts: 3967
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Thud » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:43 pm

^^^^Exactly^^^^^

It gets to a point well intentioned people sound homophobic. They don't mean to, it's just it's a generational thing. And probably a lot about where you grew up.
Ultimately a hero is a man who would argue with the gods, and so awakens devils to contest his vision.

User avatar
The Mighty Sunbird
Duke Status
Posts: 11619
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: Pogo's

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:19 pm

marauding mullet wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:34 pm
Beanpole wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:56 pm

Okay, Prof. I just went for a surf at Newcastle main beach. The water was very pleasant since it was a hot day. I caught a few waves. :-D-:
Lived there for over 20 years and never surfed in town. No particular reason. Usually to the south and Stockton a lot.
Yeah Newcastle Beach was the wankers beach.
Bloody good waves at the south end and The Cowrie Hole but
Erase.

User avatar
jimmy
Harry the Hat
Posts: 2892
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:12 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by jimmy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:25 pm

Well I for one, welcome our new gay Gaylords. Or should that be gay Overlords?
Indeed if Mick is gay I might give it a crack myself. Braithy said the other day that there's a good bank near the front of Mick’s place. Might have to check it out :shock:

User avatar
Legion
Duke Status
Posts: 12965
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:21 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Legion » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:11 pm

jimmy wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:25 pm
Braithy said the other day that there's a good bank near the front of Mick’s place.
Sounds like realsurf's brilliant investigative journalists should ignore the Thorpey angle - the real story might be hiding in plain sight in jimmy's post.

User avatar
Cranked
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 7288
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:52 am
Location: Willetton

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Cranked » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:18 pm

I've always assumed everyone on realsurf was gay.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

User avatar
BA
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 7084
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:03 pm
Location: tits

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by BA » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:30 pm

Legion wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:11 pm
jimmy wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:25 pm
Braithy said the other day that there's a good bank near the front of Mick’s place.
Sounds like realsurf's brilliant investigative journalists should ignore the Thorpey angle - the real story might be hiding in plain sight in jimmy's post.
:lol:

Slobadan Madicubich
barnacle
Posts: 1934
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:04 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:32 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:56 pm

Okay, Prof. I just went for a surf at Newcastle main beach. The water was very pleasant since it was a hot day. I caught a few waves. :-D-:
How did you find the parking situation?

User avatar
No Pants Lance
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 8248
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:26 am
Location: where wake collide

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by No Pants Lance » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:37 am

Image

User avatar
No Pants Lance
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 8248
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:26 am
Location: where wake collide

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by No Pants Lance » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:50 am

Thud wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:43 pm
It gets to a point well intentioned people sound homophobic. They don't mean to, it's just it's a generational thing. And probably a lot about where you grew up.

like, ..not all well intentioned people are homophobes huh?

generational? you're talking about people born this millenium.

where you grew up? you mean prejudice and bigotry are environmental?

Thud wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:39 pm
But Nick, do you really think it's inflammatory to call someone gay, even if they are not? Or as you say, it's the implication that if he were he be ridiculed or castigated (I said castigated).

Whereby Nick kid gloves you with an earnest disavowel of shit talkin', gossip - (sorry Nick, but I don't reckon that's the problem in Thuds case, but yeah shit talk is an insideousness in itself)
- when, well, the way I see it is, you've gaslit him.
Do you call someone straight? "Hey hetro"? as a well intentioned referent?



But you sound like a school teacher, not a journalist.

gaslighting him again.



Don't you think by giving it oxygen you're creating a fire where it was just school boy humour? Point is I don't think he needs protecting, I don't think it's a slur.

"it" seems deadset alive and kicking off of your enthusiasm for ruminating on a stranger's sexual life.
Thud, you're arguing about the rumours of someone being "gay" as though it is a fcuking slur.
So, you do think it's a slur, it's got nothing to do with castigation,
but with you're fear of emasculation. You don't know this however, because it's a generational thing, and somethting to do with living in wherevs.

Anyway "class dismissed"
oh, yeah, right. stomps foot, and turns on heel in a huff

Thud wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:01 pm
I really do admire Fanning. He's allowed himself to try and become the person he wants to be.
you should give it a try.
;-)

channels
Owl status
Posts: 4400
Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 4:36 pm
Location: Northen Beaches

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by channels » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:26 am

* goes to google what gaslighting means
** surprised it was not lighting farts

Beanpole
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 34363
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Counting fins

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Beanpole » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:34 am

Slobadan Madicubich wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:32 pm
Beanpole wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:56 pm

Okay, Prof. I just went for a surf at Newcastle main beach. The water was very pleasant since it was a hot day. I caught a few waves. :-D-:
How did you find the parking situation?
I, myself, personally......found the parking excellent. I could simply walk from the hotel to the beach enjoying the pleasant ambience.

channels
Owl status
Posts: 4400
Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 4:36 pm
Location: Northen Beaches

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by channels » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:11 am

Anyway, surf is pumping. Less talk, more surf.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 20786
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Newport Beach

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:25 am

Solid 4-6’ se groundswell plus othere elements, SSW wind. Halle fcuken luljah.

Beanpole
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 34363
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Counting fins

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Beanpole » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:45 am

Smashing into Newcastle Main Beach with a stiff onshore. Comp on. Fairly entertaining watching them get decked.

User avatar
Thud
Owl status
Posts: 3967
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Thud » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:28 am

No Pants Lance wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:50 am
Thud wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:43 pm
It gets to a point well intentioned people sound homophobic. They don't mean to, it's just it's a generational thing. And probably a lot about where you grew up.

like, ..not all well intentioned people are homophobes huh?

generational? you're talking about people born this millenium.

where you grew up? you mean prejudice and bigotry are environmental?

Thud wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:39 pm
But Nick, do you really think it's inflammatory to call someone gay, even if they are not? Or as you say, it's the implication that if he were he be ridiculed or castigated (I said castigated).

Whereby Nick kid gloves you with an earnest disavowel of shit talkin', gossip - (sorry Nick, but I don't reckon that's the problem in Thuds case, but yeah shit talk is an insideousness in itself)
- when, well, the way I see it is, you've gaslit him.
Do you call someone straight? "Hey hetro"? as a well intentioned referent?



But you sound like a school teacher, not a journalist.

gaslighting him again.



Don't you think by giving it oxygen you're creating a fire where it was just school boy humour? Point is I don't think he needs protecting, I don't think it's a slur.

"it" seems deadset alive and kicking off of your enthusiasm for ruminating on a stranger's sexual life.
Thud, you're arguing about the rumours of someone being "gay" as though it is a fcuking slur.
So, you do think it's a slur, it's got nothing to do with castigation,
but with you're fear of emasculation. You don't know this however, because it's a generational thing, and somethting to do with living in wherevs.

Anyway "class dismissed"
oh, yeah, right. stomps foot, and turns on heel in a huff

Thud wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:01 pm
I really do admire Fanning. He's allowed himself to try and become the person he wants to be.
you should give it a try.
;-)
God you're an old bitch. Lol.

If Carroll wanted to rip into me he would of. Sure he was a little patronising, but he doesn't need a silly old bitter duffer from Brisbane with over stated life experience to watch over him.

But what I really don't like is how nepotistic you are. Like some cruel school prefect self employed to manage the popular boys. Yuk.

Should add I grew up on the NB's down the road from Carroll and am not much younger. Saying that I wasn't referencing him as unconsciously homophobic, that would be stupid.

Ciao
Last edited by Thud on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ultimately a hero is a man who would argue with the gods, and so awakens devils to contest his vision.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 19 guests