Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: Butts, beach_defender, Shari, collnarra, Forum Moderators

Drailed
Duke Status
Posts: 14328
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:07 am

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Drailed » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:06 am

Thud and Foamy showing their true retarded colours last couple of pages.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Beanpole
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 35405
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Cheese Cave

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Beanpole » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:11 am

There's just something about your posts, Loofy. I can't put my finger on it.

Drailed
Duke Status
Posts: 14328
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:07 am

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Drailed » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:48 am

foamy wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:59 pm
Fanno's Jew comment was put way out of context and was a pointed putdown of Chas Smith and not remotely intended as a racist slur against the Jewish people.
He called Chas a “fcccckn jew”. I think you must be trolling.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

User avatar
Thud
Owl status
Posts: 3967
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Thud » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:07 am

What's wrong with our Hebrew friends?
Ultimately a hero is a man who would argue with the gods, and so awakens devils to contest his vision.

User avatar
foamy
Owl status
Posts: 4407
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 6:46 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by foamy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:54 am

Drailed wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:48 am
foamy wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:59 pm
Fanno's Jew comment was put way out of context and was a pointed putdown of Chas Smith and not remotely intended as a racist slur against the Jewish people.
He called Chas a “fcccckn jew”. I think you must be trolling.
As I understand it, the context was.

'Fcuking Jew' was a standard Aussie expression for someone who had a habit of leaving the pub just before it was his shout, or turning up at parties with half a six pack but somehow always managing to drink a dozen beers. This was just an expression said without a thought about the Jewish people. Like, when most people say bugger, they are not thinking about anal sex. At some stage, the point was raised that Jewish people might actually find the expression offensive and it largely fell out of use.

Now, it's December 2009, Chas Smith has spent the year relentlessly insulting Mick Fanning for being a dullard from the lower classes. Fanning has just won the World Title and is celebrating at a private party with his friends. Chas, in classic tabloid journo mode, sees this as an opportunity. Chas thinks, I'll enter the party uninvited, get up right in pissed Mick's grill and see what trouble I can cause. Best case scenario, he'll punch me.

Chas enters the party grabs a beer and puts his head in Mick's face. Mick asks what are you doing at my party. Chas says something like he's there for the free beer.

Mick calls him a fucking Jew. As in, it's ironic that you are (metaphorically) a 'fkn Jew' given that you are a Nazi loving cnut.

Up to that point, Chas Smith's most notable contribution to surfing was putting out a fascist issue of Stab magazine which included a lengthy excerpt from Mein Kampf.
Last edited by foamy on Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drailed
Duke Status
Posts: 14328
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:07 am

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Drailed » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:08 pm

Christ, how much do you two wanna get bummed by Mick.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

User avatar
Thud
Owl status
Posts: 3967
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Thud » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:10 pm

Im first.

It was a dumb arse thing to say and racist. Hiwever, Fanning seems to learn from his mistakes. Superficially he reminds me of Slater a bit; from tough family backgrounds, raised by their mothers, probably poorly educated who are street wise and clever guys.
Ultimately a hero is a man who would argue with the gods, and so awakens devils to contest his vision.

Drailed
Duke Status
Posts: 14328
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:07 am

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Drailed » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:16 pm

Fccck leave the poor cnut alone. Do you go through his bins or something??
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

User avatar
Cranked
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 7562
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:52 am
Location: Willetton

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Cranked » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:23 pm

I think foamy nailed the context and meaning though drailed
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

User avatar
Thud
Owl status
Posts: 3967
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Thud » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:38 pm

Drailed wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:16 pm
Fccck leave the poor cnut alone. Do you go through his bins or something??
No, only yours.
Ultimately a hero is a man who would argue with the gods, and so awakens devils to contest his vision.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 21092
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Newport Beach

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:18 pm

Thud wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:45 pm

But Nick, do you really think it's inflammatory to call someone gay, even if they are not? Or as you say, it's the implication that if he were he be ridiculed or castigated (I said castigated).
I’ll try again shall I

I’ve seen this hinted at and rumoured a number of times over the past three or four years on various surf related websites

It’s always been expressed in a slimy way, ie played as innuendo rather than a statement of fact. Clearly the intent is a bit salacious.

So why let people get away with that? Why not just bust ‘em on it? The fact is that other people’s sexuality is none of their business, yet they wanna play out the innuendo like it somehow is. It’s pathetic.

As far as surf community or industry secrets go, well I read about quite a few of them also hinted at in similar manner. Whenever I’ve gone and dug around behind the scenes with the rumour spreader person, because I’m trying to actually find out about something, the rumour turns out to be completely baseless and the rumour spreader eventually admits to having no source or info whatsoever. So far I have a 100% negative hit rate on this front.

I guess what I would say is, if you don’t know something for sure and it involves somebody else’s private life, don’t fcuken write about it on the Internet. And if you read somebody writing such stuff, particularly in forums or comment sections, be almost totally sure it’s bullshit.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 21092
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Newport Beach

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:26 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:45 pm
Well spotted. I could address the context......paradoxically.....Attempting to make it more personal by leaving out the first person singular. Of course I'm not alone in this. However the lack of hyperbole does set it apart. An exercise in understatement while hopefully conveying the pleasure I experience from the act. A bit of a wank in other words.
There’s more going on here Beany. Use the first person singular in its context here, ie “I went ...” and you’ll find it has a spill-on effect on the rest of the sentence. It changes both the meaning and the balance of both the phrase, the sentence, and often the entire paragraph. Using “I” makes you think a little harder about both what you’re saying and how you’re saying it.

User avatar
Thud
Owl status
Posts: 3967
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Thud » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:39 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:18 pm
Thud wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:45 pm

But Nick, do you really think it's inflammatory to call someone gay, even if they are not? Or as you say, it's the implication that if he were he be ridiculed or castigated (I said castigated).
I’ll try again shall I

I’ve seen this hinted at and rumoured a number of times over the past three or four years on various surf related websites

It’s always been expressed in a slimy way, ie played as innuendo rather than a statement of fact. Clearly the intent is a bit salacious.

So why let people get away with that? Why not just bust ‘em on it? The fact is that other people’s sexuality is none of their business, yet they wanna play out the innuendo like it somehow is. It’s pathetic.

As far as surf community or industry secrets go, well I read about quite a few of them also hinted at in similar manner. Whenever I’ve gone and dug around behind the scenes with the rumour spreader person, because I’m trying to actually find out about something, the rumour turns out to be completely baseless and the rumour spreader eventually admits to having no source or info whatsoever. So far I have a 100% negative hit rate on this front.

I guess what I would say is, if you don’t know something for sure and it involves somebody else’s private life, don’t fcuken write about it on the Internet. And if you read somebody writing such stuff, particularly in forums or comment sections, be almost totally sure it’s bullshit.
Sure. But you sound like a school teacher, not a journalist.

Don't you think by giving it oxygen you're creating a fire where it was just school boy humour? Point is I don't think he needs protecting, I don't think it's a slur.

Anyway "class dismissed".
Last edited by Thud on Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ultimately a hero is a man who would argue with the gods, and so awakens devils to contest his vision.

Beanpole
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 35405
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Cheese Cave

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Beanpole » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:56 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:26 pm
Beanpole wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:45 pm
Well spotted. I could address the context......paradoxically.....Attempting to make it more personal by leaving out the first person singular. Of course I'm not alone in this. However the lack of hyperbole does set it apart. An exercise in understatement while hopefully conveying the pleasure I experience from the act. A bit of a wank in other words.
There’s more going on here Beany. Use the first person singular in its context here, ie “I went ...” and you’ll find it has a spill-on effect on the rest of the sentence. It changes both the meaning and the balance of both the phrase, the sentence, and often the entire paragraph. Using “I” makes you think a little harder about both what you’re saying and how you’re saying it.
Okay, Prof. I just went for a surf at Newcastle main beach. The water was very pleasant since it was a hot day. I caught a few waves. :-D-:

channels
Owl status
Posts: 4580
Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 4:36 pm
Location: Northen Beaches

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by channels » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:25 pm

Swell is pulsing, wind is dead offshore....get it before it blows out

User avatar
marauding mullet
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 6133
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:13 pm
Location: an upside down valiant

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by marauding mullet » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:34 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:56 pm

Okay, Prof. I just went for a surf at Newcastle main beach. The water was very pleasant since it was a hot day. I caught a few waves. :-D-:
Lived there for over 20 years and never surfed in town. No particular reason. Usually to the south and Stockton a lot.
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011

User avatar
Cyclone
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 21154
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:11 pm
Location: Any Point Break

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Cyclone » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:35 pm

Thud wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:39 pm
Nick Carroll wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:18 pm
Thud wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:45 pm

But Nick, do you really think it's inflammatory to call someone gay, even if they are not? Or as you say, it's the implication that if he were he be ridiculed or castigated (I said castigated).
I’ll try again shall I

I’ve seen this hinted at and rumoured a number of times over the past three or four years on various surf related websites

It’s always been expressed in a slimy way, ie played as innuendo rather than a statement of fact. Clearly the intent is a bit salacious.

So why let people get away with that? Why not just bust ‘em on it? The fact is that other people’s sexuality is none of their business, yet they wanna play out the innuendo like it somehow is. It’s pathetic.

As far as surf community or industry secrets go, well I read about quite a few of them also hinted at in similar manner. Whenever I’ve gone and dug around behind the scenes with the rumour spreader person, because I’m trying to actually find out about something, the rumour turns out to be completely baseless and the rumour spreader eventually admits to having no source or info whatsoever. So far I have a 100% negative hit rate on this front.

I guess what I would say is, if you don’t know something for sure and it involves somebody else’s private life, don’t fcuken write about it on the Internet. And if you read somebody writing such stuff, particularly in forums or comment sections, be almost totally sure it’s bullshit.
Sure. But you sound like a school teacher, not a journalist.

Don't you think by giving it oxygen you're creating a fire where it was just school boy humour? Point is I don't think he needs protecting, I don't think it's a slur.

Anyway "class dismissed".
I can see where Nick's coming from.
The rumours about Thorpie circulated for years before he came out.
And they were always spread in a sort of breathless, underhand way, which in itself tends to suggest something sleazy.

Yet once it was confirmed everyone is sticking up for him.

Nothing's changed except the way people talk about it.
#sixfeetissixfeet!

User avatar
Cyclone
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 21154
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:11 pm
Location: Any Point Break

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Cyclone » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:36 pm

PS.
He did come out, didn't he?
#sixfeetissixfeet!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], The Mighty Sunbird and 6 guests