Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by swvic » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:47 pm

Was at Pt Leo this morning. Didn't surf 'cause of work - I just wanted to look at 1st Reef to try and figure why it doesn't work anymore. Everything was in place for it to be as I remembered. Good size, right tide, but it just doesn't break like it did

Meantime, where Groots probably was looked as it always has since I was 12. Sorta fun if there's nothing else going. Hoping the Reef does do it with more size. Bring on Autumn
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:26 pm

Too much mdma mate, distorted your perception on life and now you have come down nothing will ever seem as good again.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:51 pm

Swell picked up a bit for the late sesh. I reckon tomorrow morning will be pretty good.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:09 pm

swvic wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:47 pm
Was at Pt Leo this morning. Didn't surf 'cause of work - I just wanted to look at 1st Reef to try and figure why it doesn't work anymore. Everything was in place for it to be as I remembered. Good size, right tide, but it just doesn't break like it did
Does it rely on some sand on the reef to make it work?
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:33 am

Nah, that's the weird thing. It's always just been a reef. Historically, at the size and tide it was yesterday it would break about 80 m from shore. 50-60 m was then a fun Wally wave made for turns then running into a bowly section over the "suck rock". Only then did sand come into play and occasionally it would be a barreling finish, but mostly a close out just made for bashing the lip. Had an ok right too

Yesterday, it would peak over the suck rock and mostly not even break. Most just were shorey closeouts. Got me confounded

A couple of years ago the old crew gathered to scatter a mate's ashes. Theories abounded, but to me none of 'em made sense as all alluded to shift in sand distribution - lack of flow from the creek and aquaculture activity many kms away. All I can think of is the whole, or at least most, of the Reef has subsided

The club I was part of was the Reef Boardriders. Not gunna name a club after a shit wave, are ya?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:34 am

And, Loof, my MDMA tally remains at 2

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:49 am

swvic wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:47 pm

Meantime, where Groots probably was looked as it always has since I was 12. Sorta fun if there's nothing else going. Hoping the Reef does do it with more size. Bring on Autumn
No shit? For some reason I thought you weren't down that way anymore.

Second Reef and Honeysuckle have never changed from memory either. Much like the Flinders breaks.

First Reef I never bother with, much like the Pines - only exception with the latter is if it's 6' and blowing a howling south wind gale as that is probably the only place left to surf
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:51 am

swvic wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:33 am
Nah, that's the weird thing. It's always just been a reef. Historically, at the size and tide it was yesterday it would break about 80 m from shore. 50-60 m was then a fun Wally wave made for turns then running into a bowly section over the "suck rock". Only then did sand come into play and occasionally it would be a barreling finish, but mostly a close out just made for bashing the lip. Had an ok right too

Yesterday, it would peak over the suck rock and mostly not even break. Most just were shorey closeouts. Got me confounded

A couple of years ago the old crew gathered to scatter a mate's ashes. Theories abounded, but to me none of 'em made sense as all alluded to shift in sand distribution - lack of flow from the creek and aquaculture activity many kms away. All I can think of is the whole, or at least most, of the Reef has subsided

The club I was part of was the Reef Boardriders. Not gunna name a club after a shit wave, are ya?
I wouldn't rule out Port Phillip Bay dredging. Ever since that happened Portsea lost it's front beach and Flinders got a helluva lot more sand so there's probably some truth in the theory that more sand made it's way into Westernport that affected reefs like First Reef that are closer to shore
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:40 am

Well, it could be that a change in bathymetry due to sand deposit has affected swell concentration/direction, but if there were sand deposited on the reef itself, it would be shallower and thus still break. Sets were making way to it though and mostly not breaking. Hence, my subsidence theory

Moved back over a few months back. I'm in Mornington which isn't ideal for surfing, but better than Lakemba :lol:

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:53 am

swvic wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:34 am
Must have been strong ones

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:04 pm

Drailed wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:53 am
swvic wrote:
:lol:

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:31 pm

channels wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:51 pm
Swell picked up a bit for the late sesh. I reckon tomorrow morning will be pretty good.
It wasn’t. Well at dawn anyway.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:07 pm

It can't have been worse than conditions caused by the southerly this evening.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:11 pm

swvic wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:04 pm
Drailed wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:53 am
swvic wrote:
:lol:

How good am I Swiv.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:14 pm

petulance wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:07 pm
It can't have been worse than conditions caused by the southerly this evening.
Nice and cool for a swim. Where did all the seaweed comes from at Bronte. It's been flat as for weeks.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:37 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:14 pm
Nice and cool for a swim. Where did all the seaweed comes from at Bronte. It's been flat as for weeks.
I think seaweed may have Lemming DNA. All at once it collectively decides to just let go, regardless of conditions. It’s just “let’s all release right NOW”. So they do. Then wash up on the beaches for the crabs and beach worms. There doesn’t appear to be rhyme or reason behind the events, it just seems to happen.
Maybe Boo has some intel? Been watching it most of my life trying to find the logic behind it but it has eluded me. Doesn’t seem to be extreme tides, water temp changes, swell or wind related. It appears to be random but I don’t believe it is. I think there is cause. Surely someone has studied it for years and written a paper?
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:42 pm

I'd imagine it's a seasonal temperature-mediated die back
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:02 pm

I always used to think it just got ripped off n heavy swells.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?