Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cranked
Duke Status

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Cranked » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:07 pm

Buddy I'm not a pro surfer, I'd probably do it worse. You've already noted above that Occ or Tom Carroll would do far better.

But as you asked, and with the hindsight of viewing that footage, I would try for one good carved turn and a floater on the foam at the end, instead of the two that she did. That would harness what little power there was in that section to maximum effect.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:20 pm

Cranked wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:07 pm
Buddy I'm not a pro surfer, I'd probably do it worse. You've already noted above that Occ or Tom Carroll would do far better.

But as you asked, and with the hindsight of viewing that footage, I would try for one good carved turn and a floater on the foam at the end, instead of the two that she did. That would harness what little power there was in that section to maximum effect.
Fair enough.
I feel there would have been no time for a carve + floater, and a carve would have looked weak in that wave anyway.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:33 pm

Caroline Marks pivots on her backhand but is more carvey on her forehand. That's probably what most do.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:55 pm

Caroline Marks has a very crook style.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:00 pm

How come you aren't doing the US open recaps, Steve?
Not holding enough oxy?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:05 pm

I'm stretched just doing the CT's Boo, trying to cover QS's would be a bona fide way of going insane.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:07 pm

Was thinking it might lead to some interesting writing, as you slowly unravelled Fear and Loathing style.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:12 pm

Don't worry there'll be an almighty unravelling.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:11 pm

Well given you’re about to become a goatherd, it’s inevitable.
I for one look forward to the literary explosion
Erase.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:38 pm

Erase.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:25 am

Chas Smith waxed lyrical about surfing as a response to Dirk Ziff. It's a good read.

https://beachgrit.com/2018/08/dirk-ziff ... urnalists/

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:25 am

foamy wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:25 am
Chas Smith waxed lyrical about surfing as a response to Dirk Ziff. It's a good read.

https://beachgrit.com/2018/08/dirk-ziff ... urnalists/
Big contrast to the wankers at Stab writing on the same thing.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:14 am

Stu Nettle has posted a comment on Swellnet. A pretty good summary of a surf journo's viewpoint of Dirk Ziff's speech.
http://www.swellnet.com/comment/578830#comment-578830

“The award itself was a sham, but hey, that's OK, the surf industry is full of equally appalling episodes.

But the sustained attack on journalists? Now that was a new development.

It seemed the whole speech was a set up to launch that grenade, but I cant help but feel it's gone off in Ziff's hands. He's gonna feel the shrapnel from this for a long time yet.

When ZoSea/WSL took over pro surfing back in 2013 the first thing they did was abruptly give all journalists the cold shoulder. We weren't part of their future. The news, they figured, would be created by their own in-house media team and distributed by social media. This dovetailed perfectly into the changing media landsscape.

WSL's social media team has been in a whirlwind ever since, you may have noticed this, however it's back at the source that the problems started. A lot of surfers didnt want whitewashed, 'hooray for everything', stories, and sought out the alternative channels - read: traditional surf outlets - for news. And if you can't get on the ground reporting, or you cant get surfer access, all of which was restricted by the WSL, then the gaps get filled somehow. Some journalists made an art of turning those 'gaps' into stories themselves.

So to cry foul about surf journalism five years after pissing every surf journalist off is odd....that's the polite way to put it.

Also, Dirk beats his chest about speaking truth to power: "Be tough. Call us out. Keep us honest." In 2014, I did just that in a three-part series that took eight months to research and write. No emotion, lies, or "foul-spirited attacks". All my stats were confirmed in a private call with the WSL themselves. For this Swellnet got banned from all WSL events. Collectively we became persona non grata, left off every communication from the WSL. For years afterward I relied on second-hand information forwarded by a colleague who hadn't worked in the surf industry for twenty years yet he was receiving mail from the WSL while we weren't.

So keeping the WSL honest? Fcuk off...

These days I can't be arsed poking and prodding the WSL, been there, done that, however I am cheering Chas Smith and the front that he's opened up.”

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:00 pm

Right on!
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:17 pm

right on right on.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:23 pm

Steve didn’t u get arsed from swellnet for saying naughty things about pro surfing?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:30 pm

No, I got arsed because I chafed at the lead too hard and was freelancing when Ben Matson thought I should have been exclusive to Swellnet.

I organised a trip to NWWA desert (with a lot of help from people here) and when I got back there was an email in my inbox sacking me, effective immediately.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:37 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:30 pm
No, I got arsed because I chafed at the lead too hard and was freelancing when Ben Matson thought I should have been exclusive to Swellnet.

I organised a trip to NWWA desert (with a lot of help from people here) and when I got back there was an email in my inbox sacking me, effective immediately.
Funny how protective some people get.
Reminds me of when I was writing for the Sunday Sun and I drove some speedway events which you aren't supposed to do with a CAMS licence. CAMS had a go at me about it and I told the Sports Editor. He laughed. Said something along the lines of, so they reckon they can restrict your ability to make a living? I'll bet our lawyers will love that one.
Nothing more came of it.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.