Strahan tassie

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

diggerdickson
barnacle

Re: Strahan tassie

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:51 am

Rustt, that’s the bloody go mate, we should be ready in about August to get one of those slotted in. It will be small steps at a go. We sorta have a five year plan with the house, as I have to be careful with my back so I will be taking my time with everything. As for do we know what we are getting ourselves into, well........considering that we were going to move to Westonia in WA, Queenstown is paradise.

If we hate it, we stick it out. I hate to say this but my Mum is not well, when she is gone there will be enough for me to buy another house. I’m hoping twenty plus years but realistically, shite it’s hard to think about it. I’m hoping to leave my boy this house if he works in the mine and we will end up somewhere on the Wild West Coast. If we love the people at Queenstown we will stay there forever.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:54 am

Will also need a wood heater for the shaping bay to bring the temps up for glassing

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:20 pm

Heya Diggs... (It's Skip here) ... Good to read all this, and I'm sure you've made the right decision. At least you're open to it all going pear shaped and bailing without any major consequence other than having to offload a property that, by all accounts, will only increase in value.
I was speaking about Queenstown with a friend from down sth Tas...she gives me the impression that it's 'on the make' ...as is much of the state.
A lot of 'alternative - internet nomad' type peeps moving up there, lured by cheap housing and easy access to the mainland. Guess it depends who you talk to, who wins this election and what the consequences might be, if the Libs get in. May or may not amount to any diff.

Hospitality and tourism seems to be where it's at ... has been throughout the state for a while.
And the fisheries - Benders and Tassal aren't going away too soon, despite scrutiny over their practices up there , they're just having to modify/ scale down their ops ...their fish farm enterprises in and arounf Mac Harbour might offer some opportunities...
You mention something about your son working the mines ? ... Could he do a Maritime course in the future up at Launie? I'd hazzard a guess that it'd be a more worthwhile career option than the mines. Just suggesting. Or Hospitality/mngment/ ???

Rents aren't going anywhere south - pretty well all over the state - so, any realestate purchase there is a pretty sound investment.

I've been looking at some affordable property in and around the Primrose Sands region. Good rental returns.

Best of luck.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:05 pm

Primrose huh?

You know they still haven't caught the arsonist there.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:49 pm

oh, no. Hang on, memory lapse, is that where you were?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:31 pm

nah, we not far from there by boat.

basically there's a house arsonist in primrose. there's been like 12 houses burnt to the ground in the las t3-4 years. that's why the real estate is cheap there, everyone looking to bail.
Kunji wrote:

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:21 pm

I'll mention it to the southern belle*
She's bought land to build on there, and is renting nearby.
She's a journo, so, nothing escapes her voraciously investigative eye.
Not even RS's general thread.

* erm, nah, won't go there here.

Indo dreaming
regular

Post by Indo dreaming » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:31 pm

Ive lived in most states of Australia including Tassie.

If i had a choice between Strahan and even Burnie id choose Burnie. (or even Smithton, bit more hicksville but very close to Marrawah)

Strahan and Queenstown are kind of edge of the world kind of places and very very wet, very cold and windy and the waves down there are 99% of the time too big onshore only really Trial and Grantvile harbour and odd other spot if offshore but still very wild.

Burnie is actually not a bad little place nice town kind of like a mini Newcastle, got everything you need and the people are generally very friendly and although the weather is still cold and can still be wet and windy, its not as bad as Strahan or Queenstown, more similar to Victoria but doesn't get as hot in summer.

The waves in Burnie /North West coast aren't so good though inconsistent mostly just crappy wind swells, but Regent in town gets okay rights occasionally and the reefs 20 minutes east at Penguin/preservation bay area can get good as can Devonport river mouth further east, going west Cooe has a few little reefs as does Wynyard although they don't break very often generally when huge huge swells from the west wrap right around and hit a few little spots, but very tidal, further west Boat harbour gets any east swell and Sisters beach area can get good on its day, the whole NW coast has endless little reefs if it got swell it would be one of the most wave abundant surf locations in Australia, virtually little reef after reef with odd beachies, but sadly it's super inconsistent and rarely gets even little ground swells.

From Burnie i guess it's about an hours drive to Marrawah, like Granville and Trial it gets any bit of swell and often onshore and windy, but it has a lot more bays with some very high quality beachies and also has a few nooks and crannies that offer protection in big swells or different winds (Greens & Bluff beach) also the odd heavy and hollow reef, the whole west coast never gets flat most off the time you are looking for the smallest spot to surf and on those rare days when the normal spots are tiny, you just drive further south to explore rarely surfed coast that gets more swell. (generally need a 4WD that south though) gets very good during late spring to early autumn...but still waves during winter if you pick the days with the right winds.

From Burnie area you can also do weekend trips top the east coast, i guess about 3 hours drive or so away.

Way too cold for me these days, but yeah realestate and rent us cheap and plenty of waves (often empty or uncrowded) to be surfed if you have the time to go hunt them.

Also a very beautiful area, generally untouched.

Indo dreaming
regular

Post by Indo dreaming » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:44 pm

Ha ha...no chance of that all very well known spots..and all spots mentioned down west are in guide books with much more details, actually even most of those NW coast spots are mentioned in guide books...but that whole coast his really only surfed by locals you would need to be very lucky to get decent waves as a visting surfer on the North-North west coast if you did it would be just because you saw waves as you were driving towards the west coast as the road follows the coast pretty much all the way from Devonport to Wynyard.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:19 pm

Think I will just have to pick my days for surfing Indo. We have settled on house and have now moved into Queenstown. We like it here, it’s quiet, isolated, and peaceful. Yes it’s cold but that’s okay. I know have to sort out power to my back sheds and watertight them. They will make great shaping and glassing bays. We are getting pellet heaters for house and one possibly in the bay. I reckon it will be another six months before I can surf after my injuries and by then I might have two bellys shaped and a single to try out. Will post pics of house much later when I have better internet. Nbn comes in sept but word is it’s coming sooner than that

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:28 pm

how you finding queenstown mate? talked to many neighbours yet?

careful with pellet heaters. i looked into them when i was there, and at the time you could only get the pellets from launy & hobart, which for me meant a 40 min drive from eaglehawk neck. for you at queeny, you'd be looking at a 6 hour hour return trip to get pellets from launy? the mob i was looking at did bulk delivery where it was an extra 50 and then like a dollar for every km they had to deliver it to. it was all pretty exxy!

this first winter you will really burn through wood as you acclimatise. we did 8 tonne in our first winter, and we were sparing, and we went cold a fair bit. if we could have, we woulda used 12 tonne easy, but we just weren't prepared. no wood of our own cut and had to get in bought in. in the middle of winter there was like a 1 month wait list to get wood - and that's when we went cold.
Kunji wrote:

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:31 pm

:lol:

Oh fccck, here we go....
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:40 am

Digger your time rich and money poor, get a chainsaw and a trailer!

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:09 pm

Loving life in Queenstown. Not going to worry bout hearing till next summer as pulling walls down, replacing rotten weatherboards, fixing up shed for shaping. For heating it’s gonna be a heat pump. Will get a wood fire much later. I’m going to build a pizza oven in backyard during winter. Can’t add photos as not much internet. Not far to trail harbour so will check out sat. Not sure if my body will ever let me surf again but I can always live in hope. It’s a small town, very community based and friendly, isolated as hell. It’s bloody perfect for us

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:26 pm

Great news Digger
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:48 am

You've always come across as a Queenstown kinda guy

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:21 am

diggerdickson wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:09 pm
It’s a small town, very community based and friendly, isolated as hell. It’s bloody perfect for us
that bit gets lost on alotta city people. the whole country town community bit.

my experience of tassie was all about the community. strangers that'd do anything for you.

sure, i met my share of druggos and legits crazy people who – if they lived on the mainland – would probs be under medical supervision of some sort ... but you figure out really quickly who to avoid and who to help/ seek help from. i think if your direct neighbours are good, you're golden there.

glad you like it there, mate.
Kunji wrote:

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:08 am

Paradoxically perhaps, but I'm enjoying living in the small community at Uluwatu, even if it is only 6 months a year.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan