Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by buddy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:50 pm

Thud wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:47 pm

Here's one for you. I think older (over 35) average surfers surf HPS like fish. Not moving enough (in the right way) , surfing flat, trimming and pretty much trying to cut back because they missed the best part of the wave with a slow pop. That's cool I guess, but why not just surf a fking fish!!
But that is user error not a flaw in the ability of the design to do a power cutty.

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:53 pm

Yes off topic. I've see lots of good surfers wiggly their bum and not rail surfing but back footing it. The tri is an homogeneous beast, it does everytime good but not one thing great ( reos and airs accepted)
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:57 pm

And there's a lot of good surfers on them who engage the rail fully through the turn.
The shortened rail has made them not as good as back when a lot of people had a one board quiver of a 6'3.

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:01 pm

Still reckon the cutbacks look a bit piss weak in general on punters (me included) and are relegated to transition turns for the shit hot surfers.
Beanpole wrote:

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:31 pm

Ha, here's my old man take. I was on a twin regularly before Simon smacked the fcuk out of us with the thruster. Like near on everyone, I took to it and it changed my surfing by forcing me to stay closer to the pocket. Years later and there I was, surfing with a relatively newly acquired mate who, riding a thruster, has an exemplary cutback. He got the wave before on a good day. Paddling back out together, he commented that I do my turn in the section whereas he loves to run through it to generate speed for the cuttie. Both methods look good when executed well. For me, the within is for a thruster and running it out for a good cuttie suits the twin. On the days where a thruster is suited I love staying close, but the natural want of a twin to run forward is a perfect start for a good fast cutback
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:20 pm

Prols right
Beanpole wrote:

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:02 am

swvic wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:31 pm
Ha, here's my old man take. I was on a twin regularly before Simon smacked the fcuk out of us with the thruster. Like near on everyone, I took to it and it changed my surfing by forcing me to stay closer to the pocket. Years later and there I was, surfing with a relatively newly acquired mate who, riding a thruster, has an exemplary cutback. He got the wave before on a good day. Paddling back out together, he commented that I do my turn in the section whereas he loves to run through it to generate speed for the cuttie. Both methods look good when executed well. For me, the within is for a thruster and running it out for a good cuttie suits the twin. On the days where a thruster is suited I love staying close, but the natural want of a twin to run forward is a perfect start for a good fast cutback
My Jd keel fish was insane for cutbacks, frontside and backhand. Fast and free. It's all I wanted to do on it, get mucho speed, mid face turn then bring it around as fast as I could. Bit kooky but I love fish for those turns

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:43 am

Thud wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:56 pm
channels wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:41 pm
Get someone to take a vid of you doing your best one and post it on here.

Let realsurf judge. Nick posted a surf ranch clip and I'm sure we were all encouraging and supportive.
You first. God touched a nerve. But of course I knew I would. Sensitive old blokes on thrusters being told they don't turn off the rail usually gets a bite. Lol

I live on the northern beaches so I'll keep an eye out for the tri fin with Channels. Won't be hard to spot. And your turns better be awesome cnt. :lol:

But just on this topic, if someone says a board design isn't as effective as another why do people start spazzing out?

Im stirring the pot of course. I ride a tri fin (xfc) but have been think a lot about cut backs of late. But surfed a twin on holidays and enjoyed the cuttie.
Nah, not touchy. I know I'm a kook.

Couple of things contribute here though. More boards with less curve (think Hypto, quiver killer etc) make it easier to take off and go fast and straight but rail turns harder to do well. Same with the trend to shorter boards smaller sweet spot to get your feet right. My kook thoughts anyway.

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:08 am

I wasn't saying we were touchy Channels. I was thinking of a good mate of mine who rides his HPS like a fish.

My god if someone gave me the choice of providing footage of my surfing to an audience of the visually impaired or stick my balls in a vice I'm heading to the toolshed every time.

Still, the cuttie seems a littke dead as a statement as surfing has moved on. Vale MP.
Beanpole wrote:

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:31 am

Like the floater. I did a backhand floater last week, couldnt remember the last time i saw one.

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:25 am

channels wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:31 am
Like the floater. I did a backhand floater last week, couldnt remember the last time i saw one.
Slater used to do the most outrageous floaters
Beanpole wrote:

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:35 am

I'm quite content doing turns, turns and then more turns. There's a million different ways to do them, pump in between, and link them on an ever changing wave face, the bigger the better.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:40 pm

From my reading I think you ride the odd McCoy. So you're talking about your other boards when turning right? :)

Jokes
Beanpole wrote:

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:02 pm

Thud wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:40 pm
From my reading I think you ride the odd McCoy. So you're talking about your other boards when turning right? :)

Jokes
Oh f$&k! Lookout, here come the McCoy zealots. Train wreck impending.

Are fins the most important part of a good/great cutback board?
I think rails play an important role myself
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:13 pm

JaM71 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:02 pm
Thud wrote:

Jokes
Oh f$&k! Lookout, here come the McCoy zealots. Train wreck impending.

Are fins the most important part of a good/great cutback board?
I think rails play an important role myself
Been taking my jd out a bit lately. Finest railed board I own and really like how sensitive it is.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:27 pm

Thud wrote:
From my reading I think you ride the odd McCoy. So you're talking about your other boards when turning right? :
I'm just gonna copy this to the McCoy riders web site. Your life won't be worth living now.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:25 pm

Good on ya beery, I remember when you first got that board and posted the photos. It looks amazing.

Keel fish go great in points so do bonzers and one of my best cutbacks ever was at a 3ft beachie on a single fin.

Fins are important but really it's about good you feel or as you get older how creaky you feel!
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:30 am

Cranked wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:27 pm
Thud wrote:
From my reading I think you ride the odd McCoy. So you're talking about your other boards when turning right? :
I'm just gonna copy this to the McCoy riders web site. Your life won't be worth living now.
Please don't. :P
Beanpole wrote: