Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by alakaboo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:21 pm

TOS.
It wasn't amazing, but it was a shedload better than the rest of the northern GC.
That wind got up early and strong.

Been a while since I had to take a drop, my ratio of waves made was pretty average.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:28 pm

You paddle across, Boo?
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:16 pm

jimmy wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:28 pm
You paddle across, Boo?
He paddled down from Brisbane on his kayak, murdering fish and scaring young children, surfed then paddled all the way back.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:20 pm

No I took the taxi for the first time.
Was with an unfit mate who offered to pay.

Have to say I'd be sorely tempted to take it next time. Coming back in the boat after 3 hours of fairly active surfing was bliss.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:58 pm

I remember when they first started running a taxi service over there. Anyone seen getting off the taxi was drop in fodder and got burnt mercilessly. It was on par with dbah drop ins on boogers.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:32 pm

80% of crew out there came by boat or jetski this morning.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:19 pm

Can’t say I blame them. The paddle over on sunrise is daunting. Sun beaming into your eyes, not knowing if the boats can see you.

The rock-up going over can get tricky also if there’s any decent swell running. Very barnacle encrusted and your timing has to be pretty sharp with surge waves to deal with.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:27 pm

The only time I got the boat was in about ‘97 when I was up here on holiday. they used to drop you over the back of the island and you’d walk through the bush to the beach. It was cool because you’d take some food and water etc with you and spend the whole day there. The day I got the boat it was rubbish for the early so we went in and waited for the tide to drop. When it did a few chargers rolled up with skis and cameras. Still the best beachies I can remember surfing ever. 4-6 foot and breaking in about 3 foot of water. It looked like a mini pipeline with 90% of waves spitting, you couldn’t help but get barreled. Other than the 5 blokes with photog there was 4 of us out on the who stretch. I haven’t surfed it much since I moved up here because the crowds are insane but it’s still a seriously good wave. What Iggs said about the boat passengers getting burned still happens but no where near as bad as when the operator started dropping people off out the back. I might give it a go next time because the paddle back can be a bitch as Boo said and having dived in the Broadwater am aware that there’s quite a few bulls lurking which makes the after dark paddle a bit sketchy
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:09 pm

Ditched the board I was riding for the last year for my 6'3" Simon Anderson Mollusc today and caught the most number of waves in ages.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:25 pm

hey Legion!. It was flat here today. Like, Tay Tay tittie flat.
So, the 'waves' Pet speaks of, came in the carpark as she sashayed along clutching said SA Mollusc in her Sass 'n Bide.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:55 pm

I've only ever paddled before, but on an incoming tide and come through the island like Jimmy rather than climb the rockwall.
Probably only surfed there 5 times over 15 years.

I could justify the boat on safety concerns alone today.
There were so many dangerous rich cnuts in big boats today, I saw a few paddlers have to take evasive action to avoid getting mowed down by a 35ft motor cruiser with the fenders still swinging over the side as they crossed the 'bar' at 25 knots.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:18 pm

No Pants Lance wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:25 pm
hey Legion!. It was flat here today. Like, Tay Tay tittie flat.
So, the 'waves' Pet speaks of, came in the carpark as she sashayed along clutching said SA Mollusc in her Sass 'n Bide.
North End was the place to be. South was flat.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:45 am

alakaboo wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:55 pm

There were so many dangerous rich cnuts in big boats today, I saw a few paddlers have to take evasive action to avoid getting mowed down by a 35ft motor cruiser with the fenders still swinging over the side as they crossed the 'bar' at 25 knots.
Its a good idea to steer well clear of the broadwater, as its become a total cluster fuck. Theres an endless supply of knob jockeys in command of fender festooned watercraft, hooning about the joint in total ignorance of the world around them. Then again one would have to question the cognitive abilities of someone who'd consider paddling across what is an extremely busy seaway, especially on a weekend.

8:00am on a Tuesday is the best time for doing anything on the Gold Coast ... as I'm sure Crabmeat would concur.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:04 am

1ft insipid Narrawalle. Actually got some fun ones on a twin keel I borrowed from a mate.
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:14 am

1 foot DY for the dawnie. Tiny but at least well shaped to cruise along.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:22 am

Great, heading down on high tide with the kids. Swim will be nice anyway

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:43 am

Yuke Hunt wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:45 am
alakaboo wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:55 pm

Its a good idea to steer well clear of the broadwater, as its become a total cluster fuck. Theres an endless supply of knob jockeys in command of fender festooned watercraft, hooning about the joint in total ignorance of the world around them. Then again one would have to question the cognitive abilities of someone who'd consider paddling across what is an extremely busy seaway, especially on a weekend.

8:00am on a Tuesday is the best time for doing anything on the Gold Coast ... as I'm sure Crabmeat would concur.
Yeah, exactly.
It was also my first time there on a weekend.
I was pretty astonished by how busy it was.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:23 am

So to summarise, the excuses alakaboo has come up with so far for his surfing crime of not paddling to TOS.

1) He's always paddled before
2) His mate is unfit and offered to pay
3) 80% of the others didn't paddle
4) ‪so many dangerous rich cnuts in big boats.‬
5) ‪That's right, Womble! That's right! It was the weekend! ‬So special conditions would apply.

Give it up, mate. You know what you did. You held up the white flag.
You officially gave up the dream of being a gritty waterman.
Just mentally accept what your body knows. That you are middle-aged, well-off, white collar worker who enjoys his comforts and would really rather go by boat.
Last edited by foamy on Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.