Galapagos.

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

chrisb
Owl status

Re: Galapagos.

Post by chrisb » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:12 pm

Steve, I went to the Galápagos Islands 2 years ago. I didn't surf but found the place fascinating. Yes there are sharks but I have heard of no attacks on humans. In fact we did 2 hours snorkelling about 200 metres away and 1 hour after seeing a shark in the water. They are well-fed so don't need to attack us, plus the waters are clear so mistaken identity is unlikely.

At San Cristobel harbour there were 2 nice point breaks on each side of the harbour with surfers on the right-hander getting100 metre rides. We saw a few other surf breaks from the plane and there are many wave choices - all depends on how much time and money you have. The islands are not a cheap place to live and if you leave the main port you need to travel by boat to get to the other islands.

Mid-Pacific, Easter Island also has some nice big waves. Mainly reef breaks. Expensive too.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:16 pm

Maybe that's where Laird went.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:30 pm

Beanpole wrote:Maybe that's where Laird went.
Yes, I saw a video of Laird H surfing Easter Island, just near the row of moais (statues). The reef break there is much more ferocious than the Galapagos, well within Laird's capabilities, but not mine. :oops:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:35 am

steve shearer wrote:
Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:51 pm
was talkng to a frenchmen who's been.

it gets North pac swell and is foundational in terms of our understanding of evolution. I'm thinking it would be better than school for curious kids.

anyone been?
We've spent 2 weeks here now with 8 and 7 year old kids, skipping 3 weeks of school for the trip.
Was the culmination of a 30 year desire based on reading back issues of National Geographic, and a marine biology degree (with a minor in geochemistry).

We did an 8 day cruise to the western islands.
Blew my fcuking mind.

You could surf the beachie daily at Tortuga Bay and a few reef and bigger wave options.
Fishing is insane, but heavily regulated.
Need to be with a local guide, and the trips are very expensive, mainly catering to American dentists (US$700+ a day). Tried to get a local fisherman to take me but they said they get 3 years in jail if caught, and the parks and police guys are always in the port.

We went to Easter island on the same trip.
Galapagos shits on it from a natural perspective, but EI had better surf.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:16 am

Did you get a go-out in the Galapagos Boo?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:41 pm

Didn't try, wasn't a priority.
It was onshore and looked like the Rio pro most days.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:07 pm

alakaboo wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:35 am
steve shearer wrote:
Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:51 pm
was talkng to a frenchmen who's been.

it gets North pac swell and is foundational in terms of our understanding of evolution. I'm thinking it would be better than school for curious kids.

anyone been?
We've spent 2 weeks here now with 8 and 7 year old kids, skipping 3 weeks of school for the trip.
Was the culmination of a 30 year desire based on reading back issues of National Geographic, and a marine biology degree (with a minor in geochemistry).

We did an 8 day cruise to the western islands.
Blew my fcuking mind.

You could surf the beachie daily at Tortuga Bay and a few reef and bigger wave options.
Fishing is insane, but heavily regulated.
Need to be with a local guide, and the trips are very expensive, mainly catering to American dentists (US$700+ a day). Tried to get a local fisherman to take me but they said they get 3 years in jail if caught, and the parks and police guys are always in the port.

We went to Easter island on the same trip.
Galapagos shits on it from a natural perspective, but EI had better surf.
How much time would you recommend to see the Galapagos boo? And is it an expensive trip? What blew you away about the western islands ? Did you stop at a few of them?

Sorry for the interrogation lol, it sounds like a cool place for the family to see

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:05 pm

If you have an interest in science it's amazing.
Even if you don't, the scenery is great and the wildlife is totally unafraid and approaches you.
I mean birds landing on you, sealions, marine iguanas and penguins and turtles playing with you while snorkeling. Tortoises and land iguanas walking across the trails. Dramatic volcanic landscapes.

It is expensive, there's no avoiding that fact. But if you go in low season like we did, book your own flights and are flexible with cruise dates then it is less than half what you will see on any websites.

The western islands are younger, and still volcanicaly active. More marine life, not as many birds.
They are also relatively remote so we didn't see another boat for 2.5 days, despite there being up to 200 cruise ships working at any one time, plus private boats.

I'd recommend a minimum of 8 days, and a minimum of 5 of that on a cruise. You can do it cheaper with day trips but you miss a lot and aren't allowed to visit many places.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:37 pm

What are the natives like?
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:19 pm

Very obedient, apart from refusing to speak proper English.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:59 am

Is there much chlamydia or syphilis?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:04 pm

Gonorrea is rampant amoungst the Iguana population.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:30 pm

Dunno loof.
Ecuadorians have cute faces but the physique of a bar fridge so you'd probably be better off staying up top anyway.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:32 pm

alakaboo wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:30 pm
Dunno loof.
Ecuadorians have cute faces but the physique of a bar fridge so you'd probably be better off staying up top anyway.
Stick it in the mouth. Nice.

Fcck you're a fcckn pig of a bloke sometimes Boo.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:33 pm

Give the audience what they want.

As a fellow showman, you know what I mean.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:58 pm

alakaboo wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:05 pm
If you have an interest in science it's amazing.
Even if you don't, the scenery is great and the wildlife is totally unafraid and approaches you.
I mean birds landing on you, sealions, marine iguanas and penguins and turtles playing with you while snorkeling. Tortoises and land iguanas walking across the trails. Dramatic volcanic landscapes.

It is expensive, there's no avoiding that fact. But if you go in low season like we did, book your own flights and are flexible with cruise dates then it is less than half what you will see on any websites.

The western islands are younger, and still volcanicaly active. More marine life, not as many birds.
They are also relatively remote so we didn't see another boat for 2.5 days, despite there being up to 200 cruise ships working at any one time, plus private boats.

I'd recommend a minimum of 8 days, and a minimum of 5 of that on a cruise. You can do it cheaper with day trips but you miss a lot and aren't allowed to visit many places.
Thanks mate, like to travel with the kids before they get to an age where they don't want to know us lol. Sounds epic cheers

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:04 pm

Below age 7 most boats won't take them, except the big cruise ships.
Above 12 they are full price.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:31 am

Cheers