Josh Dowling Designs

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Josh Dowling Designs

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:31 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu May 25, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:41 pm

Legion wrote:
JET01 wrote:... I'm not sure how Firewire boards are made (yet) ...
Well, Josh was there at the beginning so if you know how Josh made his then you know roughly how FW makes theirs. Or you could search swaylocks for "vacumn forming & sandwich construction" (sic).
What i was referring to was the the production rather than the technique.

If they're using oversea labour then I'm hoping they're taking every precaution to keep their workers as safe and healthy as possible.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:51 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu May 25, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:08 am

Surely i don't need trade secrets to make an ethical buying decision.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:06 pm

Playing around in the garage. This coming Autumn I'm going to get this wet in a wave it deserves. Nothing crazy just a little overhead with some push and a fast wall. Thats my goal for next year. Don't care if I just race it down the line with no turn whatsoever, that'll do me

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:37 pm

im just hoping to get back in the water beerfan, wether swimming or taking photos, anything will do me.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:44 am

diggerdickson wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:37 pm
im just hoping to get back in the water beerfan, wether swimming or taking photos, anything will do me.
It's coming good though isn't it? You seemed pretty upbeat about it last i read

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:46 pm

My left hand side of my body is weak beerfan, it seems that my muscles cant seem to fire very much at all. They are not wasting but they are very slow to react and switch on. I have poor balance, tire so bloody easy. Im doing my pilates and my swimming and im always hopeful, but Ive also got to face reality as the nerve roots were crushed. Im shaping, waiting for the next swell so I can get down to noosa main beach and sit and watch at the waters edge early in the morning, but i wont be shocked if its over for me. Ive got planned to make a twinzer with a bonzer type contours, another 5'6 twinny, i will always tinker in the bay now, and I will give em away for a song I suppose. Ive always wanted to paint a board with blue rails or red and black and white checkers on the deck so thats the next paint job.

Im hoping im wrong, I truly am mate, as at the moment deep down im absolutely shattered, I thought I would surf till I was to old to stand, not to bow out this way.

Though to put it in perspective, my home has not been devistated by a hurricane, my street is not a river, I have electricity, food and family, plus im partly sane, so all good I suppose.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:28 am

Keep working through your rehab mate, you had back surgery, pretty serious shock to the body, it might take a while but just keep rehabbing.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:06 am

Beerfan wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:06 pm

Playing around in the garage. This coming Autumn I'm going to get this wet in a wave it deserves. Nothing crazy just a little overhead with some push and a fast wall. Thats my goal for next year. Don't care if I just race it down the line with no turn whatsoever, that'll do me
This is now my go to. Had it out at the farm, which it doesn't love, but can manage, and this morning got into some little over head grunty waves this morning. Great to actually come off the bottom with enough speed to really lean into the bottom turn. Got a nice backhand cutback as well. Timing was a little off but the best surf I e had in a long long time. This is my last remaining jd and IMHO the best, the thinnest and narrowest and it's great. Originally going to be 7' but after a few month setback with my knee I went up to 7'4". Love a 7' version as well haha

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:55 am

Looks like it would love an overhead wave with all that rocker.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:04 am

Yeah it likes steep or a bit of push. I definately don't surf big waves but i wanted it for bigger waves ( up to half overhead will do me! ) or just hollow beachies. Feels long through snappy turns as you'd expect for 7'4" but carves beautifully. The rails are on the fine side, and are awesome. And the paddle power is welcome to my weekend warrior shoulders haha. It's got me keen to try a similar wide point forward round tail quad in shorter dims for average waves. My fave board though, all my other boards feel like fat slugs now haha

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:31 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:38 pm

Legion wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:31 pm
I've got 4 JDs up for sale. None of which will sell.
Really! If they were 50% bigger I would be interested.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:41 pm

Legion wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:31 pm
I've got 4 JDs up for sale. None of which will sell.
Leej, if you list it on The Gumtree, ask Josh to share the listing on his FB page. I did and got 20 texts in the 1st night. Sold it the next day, for better than I was hoping for given the prices it didn’t get nibbled at the 1st time I tried to sell it.

I think it helps that he has given it away.