Kelly's wave.

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: Kelly's wave.

Post by steve shearer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:59 pm

foamy wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:51 pm
It was just a little kidding, Steve.
I apologise though. Obviously, flippancy is not appropriate for such a very serious topic.
Oh don't be like that.

Just come up with something more clever than swimming pools.

maybe a photo of some german lass swimming nekkid
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:05 pm

I thought it was OK, as a wave pool is just an augmented swimming pool, but true dat, a nudie photo would have spiced it up.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:07 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:45 pm
If you went to the opening of the Vietnam Kelly Slater WavePool as a VIP(Thirroul surf legend and noted surf writer) would you wear an ironed shirt Lucky Al, or would you go al fresco?
yes, of course, and polished shoes. clean socks and underpants, too. and i would shave before i left the house. maybe even shampoo and condition in bottled water. do the twist under a spritz of my wife's chance by chanel which she almost never uses. roll my suit for dust. roll around in my suit for dust. wrap my one tie around and around my neck. wash my car and ask my neighbour to drive me in it. sit in his lap. be re-born as a dolphin. rock and roll. for sure.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:08 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:13 pm
I also also think, no I totally know this, I will never pay anyone for a wave, ever. I'll pay to fly to a spot where there's waves. I'll pay for accommodation near a wave. I'll pay for a board to ride a wave. I'll pay for wax and boards etc etc. I will never fcuken pay someone to make the wave for me. If that's where my surfing experience ends, well fcuken whacko.
This.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:19 pm

Anything for love, but you won't do that eh Nick? As I said to meatloaf at the time, stop being so bloody precious
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:28 pm

have you heard that expression "some things are sacred", godsavethequeen? what about the expression "there but for the grace of god go i?" "wouldn't be caught dead" - that's a good one. "your guess is a good as mine"? "piece of cake", one of my favourites. "able to eat pawpaw without a spoon" is not one you hear often, but it's a doozy.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:31 pm

"Fine words butter no parsnips" is my personal go-to in pretty much any situation
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:33 pm

beautiful, and very welsh by the sounds of it.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:56 pm

godsavethequeen wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:19 pm
Anything for love, but you won't do that eh Nick? As I said to meatloaf at the time, stop being so bloody precious
He never said he'd knock back an invite to the wave tub, or a free pair of boardshorts.

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:58 pm

If KS invited you Nick, would you let him 'pay' for your wave?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:59 pm

Lucky Al wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:28 pm
have you heard that expression "some things are sacred", godsavethequeen? what about the expression "there but for the grace of god go i?" "wouldn't be caught dead" - that's a good one. "your guess is a good as mine"? "piece of cake", one of my favourites. "able to eat pawpaw without a spoon" is not one you hear often, but it's a doozy.
I eat pawpaw without a spoon all the time.....would this make me a demi-god amongst the peoples of Asia?

I want to expand from the UK.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:07 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:21 pm
Oh I imagine some people would be able to rationalise it. I can't. It makes me want to throw up, just a little bit.
Been thinking more, it's just odd. Obviously most surfers live near water. So if you spend millions to build one, you either go near water, and hope a small amount of surfers try it, or build it inland, and hope it becomes a novelty sport?. How do you convince investors in that scenario? Or are there already investors who are either stupid, or happy to gamble on what looks like crap odds.

Thinking about it logically, if it was down the road and cheap, I'd try it after 2 weeks of onshore puss, but who would actually intentionally jump in the car and drive an hour, and then pay to surf it ? If the surf is that bad where you lived, you probably wouldn't be interested to start with.

The business logic behind it is interesting to think about

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:19 pm

Beerfan wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:07 pm
Nick Carroll wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:21 pm
Oh I imagine some people would be able to rationalise it. I can't. It makes me want to throw up, just a little bit.
Been thinking more, it's just odd. Obviously most surfers live near water. So if you spend millions to build one, you either go near water, and hope a small amount of surfers try it, or build it inland, and hope it becomes a novelty sport?. How do you convince investors in that scenario? Or are there already investors who are either stupid, or happy to gamble on what looks like crap odds.

Thinking about it logically, if it was down the road and cheap, I'd try it after 2 weeks of onshore puss, but who would actually intentionally jump in the car and drive an hour, and then pay to surf it ? If the surf is that bad where you lived, you probably wouldn't be interested to start with.

The business logic behind it is interesting to think about
Didn't I read it was an abandoned ski park or something they took over and modified?
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:12 pm

What's interesting is its in a tiny town of 20 000, three hours from a breaking wave.

That would be the equivalent of putting the pool in gatton or tamworth. Power and running costs etc thats a rough ask to keep it financial.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:38 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
I also also think, no I totally know this, I will never pay anyone for a wave, ever. I'll pay to fly to a spot where there's waves. I'll pay for accommodation near a wave. I'll pay for a board to ride a wave. I'll pay for wax and boards etc etc. I will never fcuken pay someone to make the wave for me. If that's where my surfing experience ends, well fcuken whacko.
Nick, we are brothers. Not by blood but by brine.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:49 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:34 pm
The whole thing sucks utter balls by the sound of it. Sorry I was even remotely interested.
Think of all the fancy thongs just lying there waiting to be rescued.
Or would it be more a boat shoe crowd?
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:28 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
Whats the difference between paying for a charter boat, the usage fee that goes to the traditional owners of a break or chucking in for petrol .& paying to enter a wavepool?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:25 am

Why go to the Eiffel Tower when you can pretty up an old power line tower to look like it ?