Kelly's wave.

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Re: Kelly's wave.

Post by buddy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:36 pm

tootr wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:31 pm
All the engineers and others that actually designed and built the thing must really have the shits it's referred to as Kelly's wave.
I'm sure they were well remunerated.

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:46 pm

skate parks don't seem to have a lot of fluidity of shape in their structures yet they're accepted for what they are,like something to do.
can't see wave pools being any different except for the cost of using them, unless kelly is also assembling platoons of storm troopers who will be raiding villages & dragging the residents off, screaming, to be forcibly pushed into the wave pools & then being direct debited for admission, transfers,food, accommodation & wave time .

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:50 pm

watching kelly's wave makes me miss the triple crown. haleiwa! sunset! the banzai pipeline!

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:50 pm

throw in the fact his wave park is in the middle of nowhere with only light aircraft access or about a 3 to 4 hour drive from the nearest beach.

business might not be booming.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:52 pm

is filipe still in the title race? it's kind of feeling like his year this year. if only he can find it in himself to really charge on the north shore! his surfing is just made for big haleiwa.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:52 pm

Might be the test/proof of concept. Something to show to investors with very deep pockets.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:23 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:32 pm
I'd see it as a cheaper more disposal medium than an ocean wave

Really? At $10 bucks a wave?

I'd think that would have the opposite effect.

You pay for waves, and you'd be less inclined to "waste" them because it's cold hard cash down the drain.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:30 pm

Maybe once they sort out videoing everyone on every wave, providing emailed coaching tips, a Progression Ladder, access to multiple boards to try etc etc the cost might become justifiable enough for sufficient numbers of people to use a pool on a regular basis. For now though, it seems to be the elephant in the room
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:45 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:23 pm
Hatchnam wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:32 pm
I'd see it as a cheaper more disposal medium than an ocean wave

Really? At $10 bucks a wave?

I'd think that would have the opposite effect.

You pay for waves, and you'd be less inclined to "waste" them because it's cold hard cash down the drain.
Well at ten bucks a wave they can jam it up their arses
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:56 pm

What?

Did you think they were going to give them away?

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:03 pm

I figured it'd be something like $60 all you can eat for a couple of hours. $10 a pop they can blow me.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:07 pm

I reckon the type of person who'd be keen on the wave pool thing would pay whatever the price was. Dan the investment banker won't shirk at $10 a wave

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:15 pm

So do you reckon that pools will in effect create a new market? To be honest it's not something I'd considered until now, but maybe if you built one in London, say, you'd attract a whole new generation of poolies
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:27 pm

i reckon now's the time to try in moscow!

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:27 pm

Given that the average ride goes for about 5 seconds and most surfers will never have a ride over 25 seconds in a lifetime of surfing, $10 (which is less than the price of a craft beer) for a really good 60 second wave seems not an unreasonable spend.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:29 pm

Well as Steve pointed out, it's guaranteed not to be cheap, so cashed up bankers and lawyers will surely be the target market, the target market wouldn't be joe bloe who has 2 boards, buys all his wetties and gear out of season to save on cost etc, which would be most adult surfers surely? When's the last time you paid full retail on a wetty? Without looking around for a cheaper/out of season one ?

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:39 pm

Beerfan wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:07 pm
I reckon the type of person who'd be keen on the wave pool thing would pay whatever the price was. Dan the investment banker won't shirk at $10 a wave
yea so what happens when u blow the wave 2 turns in? is that still $10? I read lopez say he blew his first few waves. apparently everyone does, have trouble getting on them. so you could blow $20 before you even do a bottom turn! kellys wave looks good when the big barge thing that makes the wave is out of shot, but it looks weird when the whole thing is seen. that wave cove looks more like a real wave, but a lot less quality. the shit webber is writing on SN, that guy is off with the fairies. reminds me of that in2ski joint that opened in Alexandria a few yrs ago. basically 3 big conveyor belts. they sprouted it as you learn to ski or board before going to the mountains. or train before an OS trip. it was $60 an hr or up around a grand for yr pass. more expensive than a full day on the snow! I checked it out with my kids. I rocked up, the guy said they were really busy I couldn't use it, but I told him I just wanted to watch anyway. there were 4 people using the place and 6-7 staff. place was huge. I thought this place wont last a yr. I was wrong, they lasted a yr, just.....then went broke.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:00 pm

foamy wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:27 pm
Given that the average ride goes for about 5 seconds and most surfers will never have a ride over 25 seconds in a lifetime of surfing, $10 (which is less than the price of a craft beer) for a really good 60 second wave seems not an unreasonable spend.
Bullshitt.

99% of QLD and NSW surfers who ride a pointbreak from time to time will have rides over 25 seconds.

Euro Kooks in Indo ride waves over 25 seconds regularly.