Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: Butts, beach_defender, Shari, collnarra, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 20136
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Newport Beach

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:15 pm

Could be. Sure seemed like there were more this year. I think the counters recorded more.

User avatar
saltman
Owl status
Posts: 4013
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:52 pm
Location: a short walk up the beach

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by saltman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:35 pm

Re the whale tracking - North of Byron I would say they were definitely further out this year

only recently when they are on the return trip I have seen a few more within a hundred metres or less
steve shearer wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:04 pm
Loof is just projecting again, he's been eating his own semen since the age of 10.

User avatar
steve shearer
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 23814
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by steve shearer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:46 pm

they always seem to head out to sea once they get north of Cape Byron on the way north.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

User avatar
crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 23939
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: good fanks

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:05 pm

they've been in closer along the tweed coast where i've been surfing. one was in so close thought it was gonna beach itself.

it had a few big sharks trailing it too. mighta been sick?
steve shearer wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:31 am
You are both absorbing salt and urinating.

User avatar
saltman
Owl status
Posts: 4013
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:52 pm
Location: a short walk up the beach

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by saltman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Was this recent
Early season they were a long way out

The return trip much closer
steve shearer wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:04 pm
Loof is just projecting again, he's been eating his own semen since the age of 10.

User avatar
marauding mullet
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 5546
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:13 pm
Location: an upside down valiant

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by marauding mullet » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:42 pm

saltman wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:09 pm
Was this recent
Early season they were a long way out

The return trip much closer
Was generally the reverse out off the Hunter coast. I always assumed that once travelling they would be hitching a ride in the prevailing current, which could vary from year to year
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
smnmntll wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:31 pm
Yum x 1000

User avatar
marauding mullet
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 5546
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:13 pm
Location: an upside down valiant

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by marauding mullet » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:55 pm

This pic of the Swansea FAD gives you some idea of just how hard the EAC runs when it's in full swing in January and february.
17 Kms out off Swansea in 100 metres of water, the FAD is anchored to the bottom. It stands about 2 metres out of the water normally.
Closer to shore the current isn't even noticeable.
Image
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
smnmntll wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:31 pm
Yum x 1000

User avatar
crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 23939
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: good fanks

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:18 pm

saltman wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:09 pm
Was this recent
Early season they were a long way out

The return trip much closer
yeah about a month ago.

a guy waved us in at cudgen, there were 5 or 6 biggish whites trailing a whale on the back bar.

heaps of dolphins too ... they were swimming all under and through us.
steve shearer wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:31 am
You are both absorbing salt and urinating.

bomboraa
regular
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:03 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by bomboraa » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:21 pm

Up the coast close, down the coast wider out, as mentioned, hitching a lift with the EAC. From my eyes, fishing a lot from wash fishing, out to Browns Mountain, there were fewer inshore this year off Sydney heading north.

bomboraa
regular
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:03 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by bomboraa » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:24 pm

Also wider whales far more curious; they swim up to the boat, some even slowly lift themselves up with bodies five metres vertically out of the water and have a good gander before slowly sinking. Inshore whales don't seem to give a rats and just swim on by.

Beerfan
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 8596
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Beerfan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:05 pm

Those inshore whales are bad mofos, rob you blind no sooner n look at ya
we are the angry mob
We read the papers everyday
We like who we like, we hate who we hate
But we're also easily swayed

Drailed
Duke Status
Posts: 13375
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:07 am

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Drailed » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:39 pm

crabmeat thompson wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:18 pm
saltman wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:09 pm
Was this recent
Early season they were a long way out

The return trip much closer
yeah about a month ago.

a guy waved us in at cudgen, there were 5 or 6 biggish whites trailing a whale on the back bar.

heaps of dolphins too ... they were swimming all under and through us.
Dolphins protect humans from sharks, if there are dolphins present you have nothing to fear.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

User avatar
marauding mullet
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 5546
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:13 pm
Location: an upside down valiant

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by marauding mullet » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:53 pm

Flipper was the only Dolphin that ever did that Loof
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
smnmntll wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:31 pm
Yum x 1000

buddy
barnacle
Posts: 1548
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by buddy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:19 pm

I reckon I've had dolphins warn me of sharks.
George Greenough also has spoken of it.

The myth is that when there are dolphins around there are no sharks.

User avatar
saltman
Owl status
Posts: 4013
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:52 pm
Location: a short walk up the beach

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by saltman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Drailed wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:39 pm
crabmeat thompson wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:18 pm
saltman wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:09 pm
Was this recent
Early season they were a long way out

The return trip much closer
yeah about a month ago.

a guy waved us in at cudgen, there were 5 or 6 biggish whites trailing a whale on the back bar.

heaps of dolphins too ... they were swimming all under and through us.
Dolphins protect humans from sharks, if there are dolphins present you have nothing to fear.
Trying too hard for a third TOTY ??
steve shearer wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:04 pm
Loof is just projecting again, he's been eating his own semen since the age of 10.

User avatar
tootr
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 6568
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:50 am
Location: orstrayleeyah

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by tootr » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:03 pm

buddy wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:19 pm
I reckon I've had dolphins warn me of sharks.
George Greenough also has spoken of it.

The myth is that when there are dolphins around there are no sharks.
Nearby Dolphins being skittish and darting about, as opposed to milling around as they usually do, is a good indicator to paddle in.
The Mighty Sunbird wrote:Sometimes I visit here and feel like I've inadvertently stumbled into a gay sauna
"Drailed" wrote: Go Eastern Suburbs!! Yaaaayyyyyy!!!

User avatar
steve shearer
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 23814
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by steve shearer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:12 pm

what about dolphins having rough sex nearby?

stay or go?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

User avatar
tootr
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 6568
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:50 am
Location: orstrayleeyah

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by tootr » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:16 pm

Ask crabstick on that one.
The Mighty Sunbird wrote:Sometimes I visit here and feel like I've inadvertently stumbled into a gay sauna
"Drailed" wrote: Go Eastern Suburbs!! Yaaaayyyyyy!!!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests