Kelly's wave.

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Re: Kelly's wave.

Post by godsavetheking » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:05 pm

Artificial skiing is probably the best comparison - small controlled environment vs great outdoors. Both impressive technical achievements (I'm thinking the Tamworth snow dome rather than a slab of dendix on a hill) and both offering a watered down facsimile of the real thing. Except nobody ever suggested that you'd want to spend a week - and several grand - in a shithole in the midlands doing the same small run over and over instead of going to the Alps.
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:20 pm

But wouldn't the average mountain ski run be vastly superior (in slope, length etc) to the Snowdome run.
Whereas one of Kelly's beauties is likely to be clearly superior (in wave shape, length etc) to an average surfing beach wave.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:27 pm

Hmm, good point. Fuck I dunno. Maybe there is no analogy, it just is what it is
Beanpole wrote:
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:04 pm

godsavethequeen wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:05 pm
Artificial skiing is probably the best comparison - small controlled environment vs great outdoors. Both impressive technical achievements (I'm thinking the Tamworth snow dome rather than a slab of dendix on a hill) and both offering a watered down facsimile of the real thing. Except nobody ever suggested that you'd want to spend a week - and several grand - in a shithole in the midlands doing the same small run over and over instead of going to the Alps.
Lol Tamworth

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:45 pm

Beerfan wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:04 pm
godsavethequeen wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:05 pm
Lol Tamworth
I had to look it up too.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&sour ... QzXTCOXU4g
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:24 pm

One analogy would be modern footy grounds.
Whether it be Wembley, Anfield, Suncorp Stadium or Lambeau Field, they have mostly artificial surfaces. That is how the surface, even in mid-winter, remains so good. An artificial mat with artificial grass, with some real grass sown and grown in. Leads to good footy.
I used to go to most Brisbane League grand finals at Lang Park back in the old days. Most games were played in a cloud of dust. Very dry winters up here and the grass stops growing.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:40 pm

So what you're saying is that Kelly's wave pool is actually better than the real thing? That seems a bold call
Beanpole wrote:

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:54 pm

I still prefer real tits to fake ones
Erase.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:06 pm

No GSTQ, I was just throwing in a semi-reasonable positive analogy for a change.

Of course, I am not counting ambience and serendipity, which are very important.
But really, most waves most surfers catch are few and far between, and are short, and are crap, and though we are all highly evolved spritual yogis of the church of the open sky, we would happily compromise a little for a fkn good wave.
Particularly a long one where we can try out a few things.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:38 pm

yes foamy except you will never ride a wave in Kelly's pool. It is not made for retail surfing (and yes that is exactly what we are talking about here, the core feature of surfing becoming a retail item). It is made for top end pros and for Events. Special things. There is only one of these pools and it is in the back arse of nowhere in central California.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:42 pm

meanwhile a gorgeous and near flawless south swell has been slithering up the Australian east coast under moderate offshore winds. I wouldn't swap a single wave I've ridden in the past coupla days for anything in any wave pool I've seen.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:55 pm

Yes well, "attitudes to surf parks [have] changed significantly, even in one year, probably as a result of the opening of Surf Snowdonia and the video showing Kelly Slater’s new wave lagoon. Whereas in 2015, 78% of surfers said they would use a surf park, this figure had increased to 94% in the 2016 survey. Jess also referred to a specific surf study conducted by Barbiere & Sotomayor in 2014 that found that 40% of surfers had taken 10 or more surf trips in the past 5 years – highlighting the great tourism potential of surf parks that, unlike the ocean, can guarantee quality waves during the surf trip" so you're either behind the times, Nick, or deluded or both.

Source: Surfpark Central. The Future of Surfing Outside the Ocean
Beanpole wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:02 pm

Surfparks central, might, just might not be the most unbiased source.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:05 pm

It amuses me to think that business decisions may well be made on the back of those survey results
Beanpole wrote:

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:05 pm

10 surf trips in 5 years? 40% of surfers?
Erase.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:08 pm

Go to a surfpark for a surf holiday! For Christ's sake, have they taken leave of their senses!
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:10 pm

Nick, how long before we get a breakaway surf competition run by surfers?

Please don't tell me never.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:13 pm

Will intermediates trade blue warm water, brown people serving you drinks and the tropical idyll of the Maldives for a surf park "experience"?

Foamingham says yes because the wave is better than the average shitt they surf back home.........I'm very unconvinced.

Post surf at the Ox the other day I was sitting on the rocks chatting with some crew, someone pulled out some very high grade marijuana tincture and we all got pretty sideways in the sunshine.
Chat turned to wavepools and I asked this chap, quite well connected, in fact manager to WSL world champs what he thought.

He said he had been to the one in Malaysia, pretty good wave by all accounts.
He said after 45 mins and the novelty had worn off he was bored shittless........he bought his hand around in a broad sweep to encompass the rocks, the sky, the lineup and said he'd rather the worst day here any day of the week.*

*He might have been a bit sideways and I was definitely sideways so maybe this recount is not note perfect but you get the gist.

Thats the only eyewitness report I've heard from someone not on the PR team.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes