Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Yuke Hunt » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:21 pm

brendo wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:16 pm
steve shearer wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:23 pm
You need a job to live in Sydney......ie most people are working at least 9-5 5 days a week.
thats another factor.
most of the guys I see around Cronulla during the week are semi retired or retired guys, then some tradies
having a surf if its ok. any size during the week the carparks are pretty empty. even early last week the
beachies were a solid 4-5ft and some nice waves and maybe a dozen out.
its so expensive its out of control. im tossing up selling and moving up or down the coast. ill be mortgage free
with dough in the bank. as it is I generally work 50hr weeks plus and have done quite a few21-28 days straight
over the last few yrs. and that's a big part of why my body is falling apart!
Life is short, don't wait too long. Quality over quantity wins every day. The problem is that most people don't understand, until its over. Deathbed epiphany's seriously suck.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:57 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:07 pm
Drailed wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:09 pm
steve shearer wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:23 pm
You need a job to live in Sydney......ie most people are working at least 9-5 5 days a week.
thats another factor.
Wouldnt that be much the same for regional places as well. Sure the rents a bit cheaper but surely the wages are pretty shit too..??
Of course.

It's been a massive change here.

The surf is way, way less crowded during the week then it used to be, and way, way more crowded on weekends.

80's and 90's there would he households full of surfers doing bong hits and surfing the Point all day, every day.

Now it's some jerkoff from England via North Av surfing a SUP at the boat channel.
Stop picking on Loofy.
It's funny, just about every time I have a day off through the week for whatever reason there's a pack of older guys hanging around the beach. It's funny how uncrowded you can find the surf through the week though.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:01 pm

Today's display of Mother Nature.

Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:00 pm

Woah. Some serious size up there. Sandon was much more manageable but fcuk me the wind was intense. Without doubt the coldest day in the water this winter. Some cranking walls though!
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:42 pm

I think I'm going to get a few more goes on my Desert Storm before the fat lady sings.
the charts look vigourous.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:52 pm

Heading home early to take the bonzer for a lap.
Sniff wrote:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:37 pm

so I don't want any Realsurfers to miss out, there's gonna be another Event, big powerful SE groundswell slamming in on Thursday, probably bigger in the afternoon, SSW winds they're calling 20 knots but I bet they're lighter. Swell dropping overnight into Friday but maintaining considerable strength then declining further into Saturday. Looks maybe 10' at the peak but could be bigger. It's kinda cool because the fetch largely remains offshore, so there will be interval.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:47 pm

Big swell with some east in it for a change. Great. SN is only calling 4-6ft though. You reckon it's gonna get that big ?
Sniff wrote:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:52 pm

ha ha ha I reckon it will be a bit bigger than that.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:07 pm

Nick, just between you and me, and we are not mentioning the war, but what wave face height is your 10 foot?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:25 am

yeah baby

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:49 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:44 pm
Rustt wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:57 pm
Nick Carroll wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:39 am
fcuk yeah. Bombies all lit up. No-one out...again!
No one out? I thought you lived in Sydney?
well rustt you may find this difficult to grasp but the Sydney coast is a really fantastic place to be a surfer. There are no reeling Lennox type points but there are lots of pretty good quality beach breaks and many slabby reefs. In surf over eight feet there are heaps of deeper water bombie reefs which get better and better as the surf gets bigger, they will hold literally anything the ocean can throw at 'em. Not only that, the Sydney surf population is by and large semi-skilled recreational and middle-aged. Aside from Bondi which is a mix of that plus retardo-backpackers spazmos. There's maybe 200 skilled and tuned in people who will pursue surf in the six feet and above range, that's in the whole fcuken city, so the place is your oyster. I rarely surf with more than 10 or 12 people ever, and on days like this, I mostly surf by myself, with lil bro, or a half handful of others. That's the blunt truth of it. I live in Australia's biggest city and I bet my water time/crowd level is barely different to yours, maybe less.

nick, don't you have a bunch of local grommets or early20s guys that are keen but just need some guidance? guys who would turn up but not go out cause their mates wont or they want to be with other surfers they trust in waves of consequence but they don't really know any? or guys you see and you know its in them they just need to be motivated? I grew up on the north coast and that's how it was/is up there. older crew always look out for and nuture the young guys that want to charge, or push them to their limits.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:00 am

mate I nurture kids down here till the cows come home.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:04 am

foamy wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:07 pm
Nick, just between you and me, and we are not mentioning the war, but what wave face height is your 10 foot?
fcuk, I dunno. Wave face height is a stupid thing. Waves never remain the same, they change from moment to moment, a wave's face height might be 20 feet one second and 12 feet the next, then 15 feet again. The "foot" thing as poor Iggy has attempted to describe on numerous occasions, is a general summation of the swell range and power implied by apparent size. I guess on average maybe three times overhead?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:11 am

I'm just not sure on the 10 foot call as of right now.

the wind direction and fetch orientation is close to perfect, track to die for but the wind speeds just look a little light on a day out.
We'll see.

Still, these late season south swell blasts are a gift from God. Not only are they firing up the Points but they are hitting refresh on the rockfishing with every swell generating massive increases in inshore available biomass.
My average session time to bag a metre jewfish has been somewhere between 5 and 15 minutes.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:20 am

OK. Just thinking about that for my own mild interest. 10 foot= Average 3 times overhead. Average surfer in standard crouch is about 5 foot tall. Therefore, 10 foot=about 15 to 16 foot face height.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:35 pm

That pic I posted of wedding cake was 10 foot. The sets were 12
Foot.

Triple overhead plus would be would be what I and practically every surfer I know would class as ten foot.

Recent surf I had at boomerang, the take offs (only) were easily triple overhead and bigger, with the inside bowl was running at least double overhead - so overall it'd be a solid 8 foot.

There seems to be a lot of bickering about wave heights on this forum. And the common scale really doesn't make any sense. But I'm still yet to meet a single person that doesn't use it, or has any issues with it.
Sniff wrote:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:14 pm

a little sneaky swell today. 3ft and bigger at times. perfect bank on a beachie, and all to myself. literally no one around.

old emery has made me some kind of board. I'm going to properly mourn at some stage when she's no more.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism