Midlengths

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

batoes
charger

Re: Midlengths

Post by batoes » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:13 am

I really like having a mid length in the quiver - especially in summer. The first one i got was a vbowls a few years back and it really changed my line of thinking. It was stringerless so i could foresee a disaster in anything over a few feet - i got rid of it. Most recently i was riding a hull. Certainly a unique ride, but definitely limited to specific conditions. I currently have a 7'6 gato heroi space pig. I haven't ridden it enough to know whether it is a keeper or not. I find they are my 'sometimes' board and mainly in summer. If i lived on good points and lined up waves, i'd ride it a lot more, but just don't have the wave opportunities. I much prefer them to logs.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:07 am

The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:21 pm

Noice
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:23 pm

They're pretty bloody good value for money those AQSS boards.

Had a chat with a bloke down the beach the other week who was on one of the Takayama scorpion copies. He was stoked with all aspects. Not bad for $399 new.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:12 pm

What a difference a fin makes. I got a new midlength back in April - a gato heroi space pig 7'6 with a narrowed down tail. It has super thin rails and a big rolled v underneath. First few surfs, was not feeling it. Felt like it was dragging an anchor and board just didn't turn. Shelved it most of winter but last week pulled it out for some smaller runners and threw in a True Ames Liddle fin. Holy cow - board just lit up. Speed runs, trim, hullish bottom turns. Completely different board. And looking at the fin, i thought it wouldn't have enough base to get the board moving but i was wrong. After spending most of autumn and winter on a thruster, it was a really welcome change to just point and shoot. Simple surfing, probably not appeasing to the eye, but felt unreal.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:33 pm

JET01 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:01 pm
batoes wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:42 pm
i thought the fish thing had been back in vogue for a year, hence the firewire go fish?
Too slow if you ask me. But they'll still sell a few.
They aren't stupid. They put Rob on a fkn 5'2, he goes and shreds on it. Then average c&$ts try a size up from what robs on, find out its too small then get the size they actually need.
Buy two boards in the process.
Found my first Gofish on the gumtree and surprise surprise its too small for the owner.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:53 am

Yeah, the horror of riding a board that's got a little bit more volume than you need makes people do stuff like that lol. Ego is a powerful drug! Saw one up close, those thinned out tail rails would be a bit of a challenge but would also make for some sweet turns

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:55 am

batoes wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:12 pm
What a difference a fin makes. I got a new midlength back in April - a gato heroi space pig 7'6 with a narrowed down tail. It has super thin rails and a big rolled v underneath. First few surfs, was not feeling it. Felt like it was dragging an anchor and board just didn't turn. Shelved it most of winter but last week pulled it out for some smaller runners and threw in a True Ames Liddle fin. Holy cow - board just lit up. Speed runs, trim, hullish bottom turns. Completely different board. And looking at the fin, i thought it wouldn't have enough base to get the board moving but i was wrong. After spending most of autumn and winter on a thruster, it was a really welcome change to just point and shoot. Simple surfing, probably not appeasing to the eye, but felt unreal.
Just bought a 10.5" rudder fin for my log, its faaarken huge compared to my 10" dolphin fin haha. It could keep a yacht in a straight line!

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:26 am

Got a nice tax refund coming and I haven't bought a brand new board in 2 years.

Reccomend me a versatile not too retro middy. (Already got a 7.2 bonzer egg.)

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:42 am

Jay Byrnes Crossbreeds look good.Of course a DVS cut down All Rounder will do the job and then some. Heavy board though but I love it.
Last edited by Davros on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:44 am

Not going another Goddard?

Yeah crossbreed and DVS look sweet too

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:33 am

Toots,
Where do you surf?
What do you weigh?
When do you usually surf the bonzer.

Assuming the Bonzer would be your board for the bigger cleaner stuff. Then I reckon for smaller junkier waves it's be going a 7'6-7'10 PCC midlength like my green one or going the Jye Burns Crossbreed (haven't ridden one). With a 2+1 setup.

For my 80kg's my 7'7 x 22 x 2.9 is the most versatile board I have it'll handle 1-5ft.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:44 am

Beerfan wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:44 am
Not going another Goddard?

Yeah crossbreed and DVS look sweet too
The JD still up for grabs? Could be a collectors item now.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:49 am

Nah, but I have wrestled with the thought of selling. Why keep it if it's just sitting there, but at the same time its motivation for getting back in the water regularly, and for getting it in some decent waves it's meant for. The keel fish was the pick of the lot for hanging on the wall, beautiful board, but I sold it after a couple of knee ops.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:53 am

The JD rocker on the middie would test the knee out

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:59 am

Knees strong as mate (surfing wise), it's not the issue. School aged kids and a dragging, never ending house Reno is sucking me dry for spare time. Early light getting earlier and earlier so water time will increase with the early light. Being an average surfer I always find if I have a good run of surfing heaps in summer, I'm much more keen to have a crack in autumn. More fitness more confidence.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:18 pm

Fair play. It's a sweet board for next Autumn

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:58 pm

JET01 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:33 am

Assuming the Bonzer would be your board for the bigger cleaner stuff.
Correct, so I want a quad/2+1 for a bit more snap in beachies. Considering Goddard, Outer Island or perhaps a Christensen Nautilus, which is a stretched out quad fish.

The agony of choice?!?