The Good Luck A Number One McCoy Thread

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cranked
Duke Status

Re: The Good Luck A Number One McCoy Thread

Post by Cranked » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:56 pm

tootr wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:10 pm
Cranked could u post a pic of your zots new fin setup?
TIA
Tootr, I've only got my phone and I'm in Bali, can I email it to you?
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:08 pm

I can't help but think that McCoy's failure to be embraced by the mainstream is as much to do with his hamfisted marketing and insistence on 6'6s and above for intermediates than any fault of the boards. I mean, this is a 5'4 singley in micro Noosa waves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bNeyylEF_c. Film that properly with an iconic stylist on board rather than an unknown (who actually does fine), call it something more appealing than Potbelly and you'd have people queuing out the door for one
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:11 pm

Davros wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:12 pm
Ok. I've been polite.

Do you live in Sydney? Let's see if you can back your aggressive behaviour up.

I don't care that you are in love with McCoy surfboards, but if someone spoke to me like that in the street or a pub I'd be swinging.
Exactly.

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:59 pm

What good is the internet if you can't be a faceless warrior and hide behind a keyboard and throw insults without real world repercussions?

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:32 pm

GM has/had a siege mentality, is a conspiracy theorist and a great story teller.

check out Cheyne Horan on Insta, you can see some of the Horan/Rodgers colab boards with Horan's new upright fins. You can order a nugget like board with a quad set up
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:06 am

godsavethequeen wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:08 pm
I can't help but think that McCoy's failure to be embraced by the mainstream is as much to do with his hamfisted marketing and insistence on 6'6s and above for intermediates than any fault of the boards. I mean, this is a 5'4 singley in micro Noosa waves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bNeyylEF_c. Film that properly with an iconic stylist on board rather than an unknown (who actually does fine), call it something more appealing than Potbelly and you'd have people queuing out the door for one
Thanks for the link gstq. I'd have the mal out in those ankle snappers. I've seen a few sweet potatoes perform very similarly in that type of wave.

That board was over 3" thick.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:46 pm

Oh there's any number of boards that would be doing just as well. Better, maybe. I think that if you're interested in trying one, ignore the extremes of both ends of the argument, do a little research into what each model is intended to do (the potbelly, for example, is designed to be ridden with an even stance and doesn't demand a back footed approach like the lazor zap, say, while his splinter model is supposedly more of a traditional shape) and personally I would avoid going too big. A 6'3 nugget has easily enough float for a 90kg person, the potbelly looks like it carries even more volume. You might like one, you might not. At the end of the day, it's only a surfboard
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:05 am

I've gone down the short and fat route and I'm over it.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:05 am

Diet and elevator shoes?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:35 pm

Greg Pautsh. Anyone know what the story is with this guy?

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:07 pm

P A U T S C H
Erase.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:10 pm

Soz

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:30 pm

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:34 pm

You're digging up skeletons from the McCoy wars. There's a book in there somewhere, one suitable only for diehard McCoy tragics. They'll sense this thread like a zombie senses warm human blood.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:53 am

There'll be a revolution !

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:12 am

He he :twisted:

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:36 am

Bit. There's nothing normal about the McCoy trip.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:56 pm

Any time I've ever been remotely interested in trying out a McCoy I instantly get turned away by preachers like this cat.

https://youtu.be/tLKIB7rystA

Comments section...

Nihil est in intellectu quid non fuerit prius in sensu.
"The single fin is the superior of all fin set ups. It is the future of surf craft. When the speaker states that that particular single fin board and others like it now days have been modernized, they have in fact been antiquated. They have put detrimental / anti-wave features like concaves, vees, hard edge rails in the tail / fin area, and reduced thickness foils, and reduced thickness in the rails. The fin is also antiquated as are all dolphin and greenough style fins. A single fin is more maneuverable and way faster and better in the tube, when and only when, the board's hull, rail shapes, thickness, thickness foil, are shaped properly and when the fin is shaped and foiled properly. The man who invented the "Thruster" has perfected them, and his name is not Simon Anderson. The thrust in a thruster or quad is in the wide thicker tail and narrow nose outline, something that was not prominent before a certain shaper invented the wider tail narrower nose plane shape, on a shortboard, that Simon Anderson put three fins on. Before this outline by a certain shaper was invented on shortboards, single fins were on boards with the wide point way ahead of center, with hard down rails all the way through especially in the tail fin area, and long narrow dragging tail, hard to turn. Since stubbornness insisted on hard edge down rails in the tail, they had to make the boards with the wide point way ahead of center, and tails long and narrow and dragging to try to keep the tail from sliding out. You can ride a surfboard with no fin, although poorly, but you can't ride three fins with out a surfboard. The Magazines and contests made Simon's three fins popular by promoting it either by straight promotion, or by giving negative reviews in magazines and unjust poor results in contests on anything ridden that wasn't the clone look alike "thruster" that became more and more mutilated and anorexic with the passage of time. A single fin with a wide thick tail will produce so much more speed than anything else with perfect control and hold on the steepest waves if the bottom is shaped with a smooth continuous convex, and if the rail is maintained full, thick, and soft edged next to or beside the fin, having the rail get hard and sharp only at the back / rear end of the fin box, right at the end of the tail of the board. The tail will also hold and turn better than anything else with a rounded tail. A thick round wide tail also works on three and two fins, but the rail is made sharp at the front leading edge of the two side fins, just like in the conventional, but backward regression surfboard most people ride. There is a cut off point to making a wide thick round tail for three fins, because as the tail gets too wide the fins start to act independently of each other and cause reactions that are unpredictable and detrimental. Plus, three fins cause much more drag and can never go as fast as a wide tailed single fin, no matter how much you hop, pump rail to rail, constantly turn, and but wiggle the board. To make the tail even wider and thicker, which produces much more speed, and to get it to go faster than anything out there, a stiff, thick, deep, unconventionally plane shaped single fin is needed as it produces much less drag, much more speed, control, hold, and maneuverability. The fin must have less base and more tip, and the base must neither be in front or behind the tip. The board must have thick, full, round, and soft 60 / 40 rails all the way through even next to the single fin; this gives the fin as much hold as a slow quad. Quads and tri fins seem faster, but they have top end speed, and can never go as fast as a wide round thick tailed board as I have described. The board I talk about has no speed limit. What is said of the "amazing feeling" and "6th gear" of Displacement hulls, and I own a few Liddles, putting them in fast lined up surf, is just a little better if at all then the "high performance" WSL tris and quads. Nothing compares to the sensation of the board I am speaking of. On a fast hollow powerful wave, you get in super early and the board goes so fast making sections and feels like it is hovering above the water like a flying saucer, with perfect smoothness and control, and it feels like you are hovering above the water surface if you are at the bottom of a steep wave, like you are flying. The board likes to take a high line so take a very highline if it's not barreling yet, and if it's a good almondy barrel ride it mid face, not at the bottom. If It's a square barrel, ride it at the bottom bowly part, but the board slots itself as high as necessary to make the wave and barrel, where the speed to make the barrel lies. Don't be afraid to ride this single fin high on the face of a steep face, it will not slide out. he board gets you in so early on waves others can't even catch. I mean waves to big and windy to catch or to small. If you are somehow tossed and airborn (very rare) you just stay over the board and have faith, and when you reconnect with feet to board and board to water, it's like landing on flat stable ground, plus the board takes automatically a perfect line, down the line making the section. No waving the arms around with arched back recoveries. Perfect in perfect stance recoveries. This happened to me a few times on risky tricky backwash hollow waves, and on such a thick heavy board I knew it might hurt if I didn't make it. Every single time I stay perfectly calm and reconnected and the board slotted itself. This board actually slots itself into the barrel if there is one. If there isn't a barrel just ride very high, even on the lip roller coasting or pumping and it will go faster, right off the bat, then any quad, down the line. But the board 99.9% of the time gets in super early, and it sticks onto steep sucking walls. The board must have absolutely no flats or vees or panels or channels or concaves on the bottom. These features make the board want to slide out and go slow, hence why the so called modernized single fin spoken of by the speaker doesn't get up and going like the quad, because of the concaves, vees, flats, and hard sharp edged rails, that need multiple fins. These detrimental flats and concaves make the board loose it's natural directional control and they want to go straight to the beach, and stay flat to the water, sucked on to the water. The board I speak of must be wide and thick through out, with thick, full, soft, round rails all the way except at the very back end of the fin box. The nose and tail thicknesses must stay thick although a little less thick then the middle. The tail must be wider then the nose. The wide point must never be ahead of center. The bottom must be a continuous smooth roll from nose to tail, but the apex, depth, and wideness of this "roll" must change from nose to tail, inch by inch in a very specific proportioned way. The board needs heavier glass for momentum since the thickness makes it "corky" and lighter with out extra glass. The fin must be shaped like a sea gull wing as the wing is brought forward for drive against opposing winds. The rocker must be done correctly. It's weight must be balanced correctly. The master that makes these is called Geoff McCoy and he has a website and there are youtube videos of him describing his boards. It's all grass roots. I never even met him, but I am a believer, and I surf well. I want to spread the stoke. This board will put the stoke back in your surfing, and although it seemed impossible after I did super tight on rail turns, it will turn tighter in tighter spots on waves, better than thin rails, and you will keep ALL of your speed after the turn. Don't believe the myth of the so-called-modern -short board. It is a lie. The Geoff McCoy Astron Zot is the future of fun and performance and speed and maneuverability."

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque