Midlengths

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

JaM71
charger

Re: Midlengths

Post by JaM71 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:55 am

Davros is spot on, if you can get, an MC do it. Other options you might like to check are the Mitchell Rae "Wolf" & DVS alrounder
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:06 pm

You can borrow my 6'8 waterskate if you want to try it on for size? 6'8 x 21 x 2 3/4
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:31 pm

Thanks for the offer but I suspect we are several 100kms apart. Appreciated though.

Saw grant M just updated his website - poor guy seems to have had the holiday from hell.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:52 am

steve shearer wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:02 am
looks very similar to a Desert Storm Russt.

and I bet great fun to surf in anything.

whats the bottom contours?
Slight V all the way, minimal in the nose and tail and a bit more in the belly.

Still waiting for some waves to try it out, pretty lean here at the moment.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:05 pm

yeah, mines got a soft V throughout. maybe a touch of concave in the v back near the fin cluster.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:38 pm

ctd wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:31 pm
Thanks for the offer but I suspect we are several 100kms apart. Appreciated though.

Saw grant M just updated his website - poor guy seems to have had the holiday from hell.
Cronulla.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:10 pm

After nick mentioning something about using the smallest fins you can, I ordered some tiny fins to see if I can get the mid length jd to work in everyday waves. Feels a big long/stiff if the waves are weak, but I generally like big fins, pc-7 and gx rears. Spent too much time on fishy wide tails maybe lol. See how it goes. They're grom fins, rated for 50kg. They'll go in the front and some tiny, very upright rears. Can't remember the name but hatchy has some single tab tiny fins I might buy as well. Aim to loosen it up stupidly and work back

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:34 pm

Beerfan wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:10 pm
After nick mentioning something about using the smallest fins you can, I ordered some tiny fins to see if I can get the mid length jd to work in everyday waves. Feels a big long/stiff if the waves are weak, but I generally like big fins, pc-7 and gx rears. Spent too much time on fishy wide tails maybe lol. See how it goes. They're grom fins, rated for 50kg. They'll go in the front and some tiny, very upright rears. Can't remember the name but hatchy has some single tab tiny fins I might buy as well. Aim to loosen it up stupidly and work back
I could've sent you some PC3's to try.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:56 pm

I'm sure I've got 3's mate but cheers. You're 80+ aren't you ? What do you use on narrower tailed quads? I know davros at 100kg uses m5 as his fronts.

On an old quad of mine, I found the fronts and rears too far apart, and ended up using big fronts, but tiny rears. At one point I had single tab rears in the front rear fcs plug, 2"x2", worked well for me. I stand further forward on boards than most, so smaller rears bring the back of the fin further forward, loosening it up.

This is a different type of board but I'll play around.
Last edited by Beerfan on Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:58 pm

M5 up to 4ft Beery old son. After than 7

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:01 pm

Thanks mate. I'm a reformed fin player arounderer but if I can get it going in average waves it'll pretty much be a one board quiver. Plus it's a damn fine board. Save me from using the family minimal. Not that there's anything wrong with that

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:01 pm

JET01 wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:38 pm
Cronulla.
several hundred kms from Cronulla...but thanks.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:05 am

On small fins. I have a JD 6'2" stepup. Went on a road trip to sth NSW last year and only wanted to take one board so that was it - just in case. Took some tiny fins for smaller days. PG3 in the rear, quad rears in front. Haven't changed them back. Not ideal for smaller days, but more than surfable. No problem when it gets bigger. Feels much freeer, but still holds well
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:33 am

swvic wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:05 am
On small fins. I have a JD 6'2" stepup. Went on a road trip to sth NSW last year and only wanted to take one board so that was it - just in case. Took some tiny fins for smaller days. PG3 in the rear, quad rears in front. Haven't changed them back. Not ideal for smaller days, but more than surfable. No problem when it gets bigger. Feels much freeer, but still holds well

Awesome, thanks mate. I was worried I'd miss drive but it is 7'4'' so should be ok. It's really about finding a way of making it work good enough to surf everyday waves. Big fins work for me in wide tail small wave boards ( though after switching to bog standard quads after keel quad in my groveller jd I loved it ) but in other boards I'm going to try to reduce the area.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:17 pm

I've stopped surfing quads for now. The last time i had a good surf on a quad was a few years ago when I had my More Quadfather. The McKee setup. I find that I like larger front fins and smaller rears. when I bought the Elfuego second hand recently I started out in 2-3ft with MR TFX fronts and the mr trailers as rears. Had a few sessions. Meh. Pulled the rears out and put one in the centre box (twin + trailer), board felt sensational. Got my first stand up barrel that day. Coincidence maybe, but since then I haven't really bothered with quads as I find twins and thrusters easier to keep in the pocket. I find the pivot is more abrupt in twinnies as well which I find enjoyable.
With the swell coming this weekend I'll chuck some quads in the 6'0 and try again. I've got medium performers, some large AM's with the medium trailers.
I've got to get off the midlengths for now as I'm headed to Fiji next month and PNG in DEC. got the build up the shoulders again.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:52 pm

Looking at this - just not certain. its an MC Islander 6'10 x 22 3/4 x 3 1/4 (wide!). Single concave as well, although not sure how deep. 5 fin set up. Seems like almost a 'big boy shortboard' (I'm not particularly big) or maybe something close to a Firewire Addvance (with a narrower nose) or a V-skate, which would probably be ok. The volume is probably a bit high but I'm on a Nugget at the moment (6'10) and that is probably about the same volume
12345.JPG
(10.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:08 pm

That's a lot of foam if you're not tipping 100. And with the single all way through it MAY be hard to manage the speed. Of course it's highly likely I'm completely wrong.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:56 pm

ctd wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:52 pm
Looking at this - just not certain. its an MC Islander 6'10 x 22 3/4 x 3 1/4 (wide!). Single concave as well, although not sure how deep. 5 fin set up. Seems like almost a 'big boy shortboard' (I'm not particularly big) or maybe something close to a Firewire Addvance (with a narrower nose) or a V-skate, which would probably be ok. The volume is probably a bit high but I'm on a Nugget at the moment (6'10) and that is probably about the same volume

12345.JPG
I like foam but that's too big for you mate. Paddle insane and catch anything but you won't turn to well. If you don't mind then grab it but you may regret it. I've way over foamed before and regretted it. A bit extra yes but way over nah. Got a 7'6" big guy board off the 2nd hand rack from carabine, pointy nose short board. Paddled deluxe, and late drops were an absolute breeze. Turns were glacial though and felt very long. 7' would have been best of both worlds but 7'6" was just too long

Comparing a similar sized nugget isn't really fair, ones a round bottom and ones deep concave.