Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:25 pm

alakaboo wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:11 pm
Qld decided to keep the nets up this winter/whale season.
I think that's the first time since 2008? Braithwaite would know.

they've had the nets the last two years all year round. I used to paddle around them for squad training.

but i can't recall a winter I've been here, that they ever pulled the nets, unless it was a for a week or so as storm mitigation.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:26 pm

Have they taken down the shark nets at byron/Lennox?
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:35 pm

FYI the DPI website has only 59 fish logged - they are way behind. Reason? Slack webmaster? Or something else?
Must be up to 110 by now.
Of those documented, tagged fish were at;

Ballina 31
Forster-Tuncurry 7
Evans. 4
Coffs 3
Lennox 3
Crowdy 1
No info 10

You're welcome.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:52 pm

alakaboo wrote:
No Boo, QLD has always deployed the nets and drumlines year round.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:55 pm

It's frustratingly incomplete the tagging information they are releasing to the public.

Like a white or whites were setting off the listening stations up here during Jan but there's no sign of it on the track maps.

I want to know what shark it is, I'm sure they have that info. Then we can start to ascertain what their movements are.

Half of me thinks DPI is only releasing some of the info because they don't want to inflame sensititvities and the other half thinks they are incompetent or slack. I've contacted them several times about it with zero response.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:04 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:55 pm
It's frustratingly incomplete the tagging information they are releasing to the public.

Like a white or whites were setting off the listening stations up here during Jan but there's no sign of it on the track maps.

I want to know what shark it is, I'm sure they have that info. Then we can start to ascertain what their movements are.

Half of me thinks DPI is only releasing some of the info because they don't want to inflame sensititvities and the other half thinks they are incompetent or slack. I've contacted them several times about it with zero response.
who have u been contacting? fisheries was shut down at Cronulla 5yrs ago. they handed out redundancies or offered jobs at coffs, nelson bay, south coast and I think new main office is in the harbour over near the zoo. pretty sure that's where vic peddersmore went. he is shark man no 1 for the govt.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:05 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:22 pm

I know they have to count properly but man, how could you deny the very high likelihood that the eastern Australian GWS population is on a significant rebound right now.
The evidence is mounting by the day but it's going to be very hard for shark scientists to accept, including Chief Shark Scientist for the CSIRO Barry Bruce (presumably in charge of the currently federally mandated count) who has spent the last ten years telling anyone who'll listen there is no sign of white shark recovery.
He's got a helluva lot invested emotionally and professionally in maintaining that story, as do others.
Last edited by steve shearer on Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:06 pm

One would think a critical piece of information what shark # is pinging a receiver. I contacted Dorsal twice, they said the DPI was working on a "new system" but they too are getting little information from the DPI (their words)

Forget about a reply from the DPI.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:07 pm

brendo wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:04 pm
steve shearer wrote:

who have u been contacting? fisheries was shut down at Cronulla 5yrs ago. they handed out redundancies or offered jobs at coffs, nelson bay, south coast and I think new main office is in the harbour over near the zoo. pretty sure that's where vic peddersmore went. he is shark man no 1 for the govt.
Via social media and their contact details on the website.
I do have Vic's contact deets so I'll start asking him directly.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:08 pm

tootr wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:06 pm
One would think a critical piece of information what shark # is pinging a receiver. I contacted Dorsal twice, they said the DPI was working on a "new system" but they too are getting little information from the DPI (their words)

My understanding is the DPI does possess that information. That is based on what i was told at the last community update held here by the DPI.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:22 pm

Cold, cold rain, wind, strong wind. 4ft DY on average banks. Glad I did but if I knew what I know now I wouldnt of.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:30 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:52 pm
alakaboo wrote:
No Boo, QLD has always deployed the nets and drumlines year round.
Yeah, I don't really know why I wrote that. Mixed up a bunch of other dates I was working on.
Last edited by alakaboo on Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Over55yrs
Harry the Hat

Post by Over55yrs » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:30 pm

Manly, small but amazingly no rain and even sun in the arvo. Was a gamble surf, very likely to be average but with the very small chance it might be OK on a rising tide - and it was average at best.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:31 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:08 pm
tootr wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:06 pm

My understanding is the DPI does possess that information. That is based on what i was told at the last community update held here by the DPI.
They absolutely do. It's a legal requirement of tagging endangered species.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:44 pm

Just to clarify, when a receiver is pinged, the tag number of said fish is recognised by the receiver and recorded?
(But it ain't being disclosed to date)

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:01 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:16 pm

steve shearer wrote:

I'd imagine it's just behaving like a govt department, they just do not like releasing much information about anything. Not so much a shark agenda thing as an inbuilt Hobbesian bureaucratic resistance.

Can be broken open for sure. Let's see what can be done.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:24 pm

tootr wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:44 pm
Just to clarify, when a receiver is pinged, the tag number of said fish is recognised by the receiver and recorded?
(But it ain't being disclosed to date)
That's the whole point of a tagging program, otherwise you can't tell if you're seeing the same shark 100 times or 100 different sharks once each.

There are acoustic tags that and receivers that don't record but they are old technology and only used when you have a tiny budget