Injuries Blog

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

brendo
barnacle

Re: Injuries Blog

Post by brendo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:22 pm

Hatchnam wrote:/\ thanks . Will bite the bullet and get a pair. They're typically only around $50-$60 bucks. Beats carving your feet up on low tide rocks offs
its like wearing a condom......it just don't feel the same....

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:30 pm

brendo wrote:
Hatchnam wrote:/\ thanks . Will bite the bullet and get a pair. They're typically only around $50-$60 bucks. Beats carving your feet up on low tide rocks offs
its like wearing a condom......it just don't feel the same....
Mine are Rip Curl. They don't have the strap across the instep but the pull cord holds them fine. My previous pair didn't have the split toe but did have the strap. Despite that I had one ripped off in a wipeout. Luckily it floated.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:18 pm

Was it you who had a collapsed prolapse Trev?
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:28 pm

My pair of booties look identical to those....but they are oneil. They are really comfy....but I really can't surf in boots. Tried when I was at Balangan but gave it away after the first surf. Particularly since my board tends to hover in the lip a bit more than my other boards. Reef isn't very sharp there anyway. Mainly rock platform.

The sea urchin spine in the foot I got at Lennox was a doozy. Had to hack it out with a pocket knife back at a friends house. Shot a stream of blood across the floor when I dug it out.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:05 pm

Drailed wrote:Was it you who had a collapsed prolapse Trev?
:-?
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:56 pm

Hatchnam wrote:Anyone recommend a pair of booties that feel "invisible" ?
I can't remember the brand, will have a look next time I'm out in the shed where they are kept.
Really minimalist reef booties, not meant for surfing in, just walking out and back. The idea is you paddle out then fold them up and put them in a pocket or something. In practice it's just too fcuken hard because you buy them in a really tight fit because there's practically nothing to them, super thin, so they are hard to get on and off.
Which is why I found them good to surf in, unlike every other reef booties I've tried, the sole is paper thin and not as grippy on wax so they don't feel too much different to bare feet.
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:24 pm

After seeing some seriously bloody barnacle lacerations at Medewi, my son and I rented reef booties from the boys doing photo business on the beach.
That's not too critical a wave so we were glad to have them.

Injuries, I've got a dent in my cheekbone where the rail hit me, but the worst injury was when I was just a young grommet. Just learning. It was an early spring lumpy stormy cold and ugly day, the only working break was the shorey. Paddled for one, got caught up in the lip and went over the falls straight down to the sand. Using the instincts of a TOTY I wrapped my feet around the sharp inner curve of my single fin.
When I hit the sand the board stopped, I continued.
You can imagine what it did to my ankle instep. I and my mate were too young to drive, a nice family wrapped my bleeding ankle in a blanket and rushed me to hospital.
Coincidently, my sister was working as a"Candy Striper" in the emergency room.
She was about seventeen and was planning on being a nurse, so this was volunteer work.
She came over to the gurney I was lying on to give me some comfort.
She told me it wasn't that bad. I said it looked like I could see tendons and ligaments. She said no, that was just another skin layer, then she turned around and fainted and fell right on the tray that was full of surgical instruments, they went clanging all over the emergency room floor.
They laid her down in a cot across from me.
I ended up with heaps of stitches and a cast and crutches that I wore all summer.

My sis didn't pursue a nursing career.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:43 am

:mrgreen: The words 'nurse' and 'candy striper' used in the same context is having a strange effect on me
Erase.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:51 am

Half way through first session in the ments I ditched the booties. 3 days later when I was stood on dry reef with 5 foot waves unloading in front of me I kinda wished I still had them on.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:16 am

I got urchins on my urchins from surfing the point.....they don't worry me.

I got a footfull of urchin spines one day, thought I'd dug most of them out and about a month later I had this little pimple on the top of my foot. I popped it an an inch long urchin spine came out.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:22 am

Looks like the various brands of reef boots have varying degrees of grippiness.
These ones don't have the grip pattern around the edges whereas in the photo I posted on the previous page of the Oneill ones there is more grip around the edges which could be a slight hindrance when your feet slide slightly into position as you stand up.
I remember the early type of 5mm thick wetsuit rubber bootie had this problem.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:33 pm

Trev wrote:
steve shearer wrote:booties are effing horrible.
I wear them almost all the time these days.
And I save on wax.
Croissant, this is why Trevor owns a house you don't.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:55 pm

A bit confused re: photos. The first ones were Oneil?
Are the second ones a different make?

One time went surfing over at South Kingy after school with one of the other grommets. I had my mums car. Other guy got whacked by his boatd in the head. There was a bit of blood. I drove him over to the Ambo....who was an A Grade Cnut. Hated all the local surfers.
So the prick rings up his mother and says...." Come down to the Ambulance Station....your son is covered from head to toe in blood."
His mum was beside herself. It was only a cut to the head which he easily treated with a bandage. Might have got a stitch or two later. She gave me a lottery ticket later as a thank you.

Everyone hated that guy. He even put an electrocuted plate on the door pillar outside the station to stop dogs pissing on it.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Over55yrs
Harry the Hat

Post by Over55yrs » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:46 am

Nick C;s story on the repairs to his brother's knee

http://www.coastalwatch.com/surfing/214 ... her-s-knee

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:43 pm

carvin marvin wrote:Looks like the various brands of reef boots have varying degrees of grippiness.
These ones don't have the grip pattern around the edges whereas in the photo I posted on the previous page of the Oneill ones there is more grip around the edges which could be a slight hindrance when your feet slide slightly into position as you stand up.
I remember the early type of 5mm thick wetsuit rubber bootie had this problem.
Ha ha I talked with KS about booties at Bells and his theory was that they were deck grip before deck grip happened. He reckons he used to wear booties as a kid just for that (grip). I thought well, yeah, maybe when booties were softer underneath, before they sorta became shoes. But they used to fall apart too which sucked.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:44 pm

Over55yrs wrote:Nick C;s story on the repairs to his brother's knee

http://www.coastalwatch.com/surfing/214 ... her-s-knee
I wanna write a much longer piece about this! But who will publish it?

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:32 pm

Men's Health, but he'll need to get his shirt off for a pic.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:22 am

Last year tore an elbow tendon while trying to hang on to a board. Tried two rounds of cortisone then went for platelet rich plasma injections. My word the injections hurt as the concept is to inflame the already inflamed area so the plasma reacts to heal. Does it work? I'd say probably, many say it's bollocks.

This week I fell back first onto all 4 fins from a decent height, still can't sit down without pain. Picking bits of reef out of an infected foot at airport last year, mid flight foot blew up like a ballon, thought it was going to explode. A stack of other shit including a torn labrum (I said labrum) which will require keyhole hip surgery at some point as the arthritis sets in. This is a fairly new procedure as well.