Bells Beach

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Bells Beach

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:02 pm

:lol:
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:33 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
alakaboo wrote:I liked the article, Nick, but it just seems to stop suddenly?
Could be a phone thing.
It's just me deliberately avoiding the cliche souped up ending paragraph.

Plus it's cool just to finish sharp like that, on Jordy's simplest response to his win.

If it jars the reader a bit, makes he/she go back into the piece, so much the better.
Nah it was a browser issue, it was ending when you were talking about the tail of Jordy's board.
I read the rest on the iPad.

You get more candid quotes than the wsl pressers, thank Christ

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:58 pm

It's 'cause I just listen to people, I don't ask questions unless I absolutely have to. Then I scribble down what I hear into a notepad then I listen some more. Learning to use a pen and pad is, like, underrated.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:59 pm

crabmeat thompson wrote:nothing at all out of whack with dogmeat bristow.

but i may not be an authority on such matters.
anything with "meat" in it, right?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:59 pm

Pen and pad is almost an ancient tradition these days

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:02 pm

In other words, you sidle up behind people on the stairs and eavesdrop. People just think you are doing your shopping list.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:09 pm

And then call in your story from a phone box that requires countless coins

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:09 pm

Hidden mike in the cap and beanie?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:48 pm

No, we don't hide mics. This isn't James Bond. This is human interaction. It's an odd one. People let their guard down in the moment. They know who I am and why I'm there yet they just relax. I have no power over them, no way of coercing a response, I don't want any particular response. I guess they know I am not there to hurt them, necessarily.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:59 pm

I guess also if your talking to their shapers or coaches when they come up you see the relationship in action.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:41 pm

"Trust me, I'm a journalist". Come on mate.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:58 pm

It was a very good piece, Nick. Well conveyed the specific awesome of a special day.

What was it like to see that JJF aerial live?
In the surf, I've seen Jack Freestone boost some very solid aerials. It's a bit of a brain spin.
But JJF's wave had at least a 10 foot face, and he was standing tall doing a full rotation with his board about 5 foot above the lip. That must look effen mindblowing. Or are you used to it?

Last edited by foamy on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:08 pm

Would have been nice to see a few more long shots of the line up with someone riding to get an overview. They've got that many cameras.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:28 pm

foamy wrote:It was a very good piece, Nick. Well conveyed the specific awesome of a special day.

What was it like to see that JJF aerial live?
In the surf, I've seen Jack Freestone boost some very solid aerials. It's a bit of a brain spin.
But JJF's wave had at least a 10 foot face, and he was standing tall doing a full rotation with his board about 5 foot above the lip. That must look effen mindblowing. Or are you used to it?
Well yeah it was mindblowing, but it was more about the context, how the heat had run -- a long heat (35 mins) during which Mick Fanning had just come on fully. He'd been half in half out at the event until that heat and he just came right back into himself, physical and commanding. But Johnny wasn't having any of it. He's a phenomenally strong paddler that kid. That morning we'd gone out for the early at about 6.30 and he'd caught me about half way out. I thought OK let's see what he has got here and locked in. Like I am a fast paddler and have a lot of gears. I went up a couple of gears and started pushing and he pushed back. At one point I started laughing and said "Whoever wins today is gonna do a LOT of work," and he laughed and said "Oh, yeah", but never broke his paddling stride. I thought fcuken hell, he is slippery in the water. So he just applied that to the heat. Smashed away. You could see the thought process, "I'm NOT letting this get away." He got so close, twice -- that slender little dart he was riding got trapped in chop and foam a couple of times and he muffed the score. But then he got that wave, a bumpy piece of crap really, but solid and a lot of speed in it, and he went up to it knowing exactly what he was gonna do, and while everyone watched, he went to the lip, adjusting his angle in the process, and boom. Radical as it was, there was never the sense that he was gonna fcuk it up. It was the last wave of the heat. It was fcuking incredible, a world champ laying down the law to everyone.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:32 pm

Like, look at it. And then think about that context. This was not some retarded film clip session where the star fcuks up seventeen waves before nailing a reverse. This was crunch time at the end of a heat in shitty 6'+ Bells. And Johnny did this at will. Only KS, AI and my little brother have done this sort of thing in my memory.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:46 pm

As an old fogie I was really impressed with how a lot of the young guys generally were surfing. Obviously John John but so many were carving solid rail turns as well as all the pyrotechnics. Rather than sliding everywhere. You're right about that heat. It was like Mick was schooling him about Bells.....till the end. There must be a few older competitors who are wondering about the future.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:53 am

Good Bells Tour Notes vid.
Fresh from his My Kitchen Rules triumph, Nick 'The Video Bomber' Carroll once again works his magic.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pUKlcNdQV ... lX3qT2I2tQ

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:07 am

foamy wrote:Good Bells Tour Notes vid.
Fresh from his My Kitchen Rules triumph, Nick 'The Video Bomber' Carroll once again works his magic.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pUKlcNdQV ... lX3qT2I2tQ
Nick Carroll the only bald guy who can wear a beanie and make himself look even balder.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable