Snapper Quiky Pro 2017

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: Snapper Quiky Pro 2017

Post by steve shearer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:03 pm

I wish I could link to the 2013 heat analyser but it only goes back as 2014.

There was a heat between Slater and Bede...... might have been a QF. Slater just absolutely murdered him, just a relentless display of naked competitiveness and ruthless high performance surfing. He threw away at least a couple of 8's.

I'd love to compare and contrast that Slater (last year he won) with this model.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:28 pm

Look it's just time, there's a bunch of talented and rigorous kids on tour now and they're surfing better than Kelly in waves like Snapper, way more on the criteria, he will still have an edge on some of them in Fiji and Tahiti etc but you'll probably see that gap shrink or vanish this year. It's crazy enough that he's making quarters at 45 years of age, nobody has ever been close to that level at that age. But people who are still kind of addicted to him as a person, who have grown up with Kelly the Champ as a fixed point in an uncertain and ever changing world, will struggle with this. They're on Facebook right now going about how it's all rigged, as per usual.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:57 pm

Kelly pulled Jordy Smith's pants down at perfect 4-5ft snapper and smacked him on his lily white bum. more turns, more variety, barrelled longer and tighter arcs. it's all there on tape.

His boards are the problem ... Kelly in 2013, he never lost a single heat on his 5'9" roundtail semi pro 12. He won snapper and fiji on it. that's the board he needs, and the board he beat jordy on (and Gabriel on) was a bit of a replica of that board. Same contours, plan shape and rocker. but not the same magic.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:02 pm

Braithy, unless you saw some secret heat the only heat Slater and Jordy surfed was on that horrible onshore afternoon where it was a jangled, jumbled mess and Slater's half finished bizarre turns looked somewhat in place.
This one: http://www.worldsurfleague.com/events/2 ... atanalyzer

Otherwise i agree on the board question.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:26 pm

steve shearer wrote:Braithy, unless you saw some secret heat the only heat Slater and Jordy surfed was on that horrible onshore afternoon where it was a jangled, jumbled mess and Slater's half finished bizarre turns looked somewhat in place.

ah shit i dunno. haha. you know what comps are like. four 12 hour days on the trot, at the beach. collecting 1 million thoughts, and then everything blends into one magnificent whurr of one single condensed recollection.

i thought Slater V Jordy was in the arvy that went glassy. haha. I was pretty much off my head at that stage. but my memory of slater was that we was scorching the earth and wielding a sickle...
Kunji wrote:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:45 pm

steve shearer wrote:Braithy, unless you saw some secret heat the only heat Slater and Jordy surfed was on that horrible onshore afternoon where it was a jangled, jumbled mess and Slater's half finished bizarre turns looked somewhat in place.

his 7.43 was a pretty good wave?
Kunji wrote:

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:42 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Brian Brainwave wrote:the big risk, is receiving another knock after the first one.

there's no timeline either. there doesn't seem to be a medical difference in copping a knock 6 months, 6 years or 16 years after the first one. it can have a devastating effect.

i wonder if he'll wear a gath in the heavy events?
I know about post concussion syndrome. But nobody has ever explained what actually happened that day. Owen seemingly can't remember, nobody seems to have seen anything. Nobody seems to have noticed anything at all till he got back to the house. There was no external sign of an impact with the reef or board. Post concussion syndrome usually follows a severe concussion involving unconsciousness etc - we've all seen what happens when you get knocked out on the reef at Pipe, you either drown or you're the subject of a very swift and intensive rescue effort. So yeah, what is he recovering from?

fcuk this isn't a question to be asking here, I'll go and ask everyone involved and report back.
are you hiring croissant & sunstroke as researchers?

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:34 am

I love those passionate arguments about 8.25 versus 9.17 !!! It absolutely proves that surfing competitions are based on absolute and unequivocal scientific fact. I mean when a system is devised to empirically measure performance to 1/100th of a point then it must be SCIENCE and not some subjective bullshit diluted with corporate dollars, self promotion, hero stories and local favouritism right?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:00 am

come on aaarating, all our lives are pretty much larded through with subjective bullshit, diluted with corporate dollars, hero stories and local favouritism.

To condemn pro surfing judging on the basis that it is "subjective" is ridiculous. It's inexact, often a bit clumsy and unfocused, and occasionally opaque as hell, specially through a computer screen. But it does have guidelines which are pretty clear to the judges and surfers alike, and within those guidelines they get way more heats right than they do wrong. The system sometimes seems rigid, conservative, too radical, etc etc, but it has shown a willingness to flex and bend with changes in surfing style and technique -- a quality that requires the ability to be subjective, not the opposite.

Ripping holes in it is a super fun spectator sport, but the "subjective so it must be fcuked" one, I mean ha ha. Show me someone with an opinion of any kind about how to ride a wave and I will show you subjectivity.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:43 am

What about Peter Drouyn being continually praised for inventing man-on-man surfing, when in fact the idea was "borrowed" from the Ware brothers, Peter and John, who had been running events in the format prior to the Stubbies contest. The radio station that sponsored the Stubbies asked Peter Ware to fly up to Queensland in order to explain the system to them. After doing so, they said they'd contact him closer to event. Peter returned to Sydney, never heard from them again, and low and behold the myth that Drouyn came up with the idea has stuck.

Drouyn also claims to have instigated the shortboard revolution, and now accuses Kelly Slater of stealing his wave pool design.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:54 am

And Caitlin stole his dress sense.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:20 am

well as a matter of fact the East Coast Surfing Association in the USA had been running man on man heats in their championship events since 1971.

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:09 pm

Show me someone with an opinion of any kind about how to ride a wave and I will show you subjectivity.[/quote]

As the old saying goes opinions are like arseholes - everybody has one. And indeed there is probably no better example of the wide world of opinionated arseholes than that which is dragged out for a surfing contest. It's not on its own by any means (figure skating, synchronised swimming, freestyle snowboarding, ballroom dancing and gymnastics to name just a few) but the whole he/she will need a 6.48 on the next wave - and that's below the 'excellent range' (WTF?) to win this heat thingy is and always has been a patent crock of shit.
Its entertainment (sometimes good and often mediocre) trying to dress itself up as a serious competitive sport - not that that is an entirely bad thing in itself.
I watched bits and pieces at times and saw some great surfing in excellent waves and some lousy 'competition' in shit box surf at various times so it ticked the box for light entertainment. But it can and never will be more than that. In my opinion.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:02 pm

Womble wrote:What about Peter Drouyn being continually praised for inventing man-on-man surfing, when in fact the idea was "borrowed" from the Ware brothers, Peter and John, who had been running events in the format prior to the Stubbies contest. The radio station that sponsored the Stubbies asked Peter Ware to fly up to Queensland in order to explain the system to them. After doing so, they said they'd contact him closer to event. Peter returned to Sydney, never heard from them again, and low and behold the myth that Drouyn came up with the idea has stuck.

Drouyn also claims to have instigated the shortboard revolution, and now accuses Kelly Slater of stealing his wave pool design.

He also claims to be a woman but I still don't believe him.

Surfing is littered with these stories. I heard Neal Purchase Snr reckons McTavish stole his shortboard ideas when they worked together...
Last edited by Davros on Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:53 pm

Yep.....I had a mate who reckoned he invented tow in boards.......twenty years before tow ins......and jet skis.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:58 pm

Was he in a jet boat?

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:16 pm

Beanpole wrote:Yep.....I had a mate who reckoned he invented tow in boards.......twenty years before tow ins......and jet skis.
Maybe he meant toe-in boards ?
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:33 pm

Womble wrote:
Beanpole wrote:Yep.....I had a mate who reckoned he invented tow in boards.......twenty years before tow ins......and jet skis.
Maybe he meant toe-in boards ?
Funny you should say that....his point was he had dreamed of having footstraps on your board......so obviously that means he thought of it first. Someone else reckoned they taught Ray Gleave how to drop knee turn......that one was obvious bullcrap too.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?