Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:33 am

I know a guy who makes his own sand banks and reefs. he sinks all kinds of shit into the lineup on the full moon & spring tide lows.

it's all fun games until you wipe out and end up inside an underwater cave of shopping trolleys.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:42 am

Shopping trolleys sounds like a good name for a break

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:45 am

How about Suck Fridge? When I was a kid, me and my surfing mates who all grew up half an hour's drive from the nearest surf would surf Port Phillip Bay whenever there was anything remotely surfable. One day we found a fridge on the beach, took it into the water just beyond the straight bank line, filled it with sand and sunk it. Next howling westerly was a revelation. The suck fridge worked. Was there for a few months and then it was gone
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:17 am

I see this Tugun close-out problem could be solved in a half hour if `i had ten of these men at my disposal.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:26 am

I've sometimes thought about bags of rapid set concrete for enhancement of a particular reef that's not quite right. I'd call it Swivels

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:30 am

steve shearer wrote:have you ever been outside Victoria Russt?
Yeah, usually getaway for the winter, last year to Ulladulla for July/August for the few years before that Cactus for May/June/July, try to get up the NW Australia every few years. I can't afford overseas trips and have health issues that make travel insurance a hassle, I'm happy to squat somewhere in our caravan and explore the Auss coast while the locals do there annual indo trip :-D-: This winter is going to be a bit hardcore surfing most of the winter in Vicco due to moving into a new house, I'm looking forward to it. Like swvic who is about 100k west of me, I am within a few hours drive either way of good surf in any conditions.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:33 am

I've always had a wacky idea about building a giant shed over the top of an existing break so it's protected from the weather and you could have lights.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:56 am

The Shed ... is what we could call it.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:33 am

The main issue, as identified by the suck fridge, is that you need big heavy stuff. Fridge full of sand would've been a tonne and a half or thereabouts, so a good start.
You really need to start at 3 tonnes if there is any energy in the waves and you want it to be there after winter.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:48 am

Any thoughts on reconfiguring a natural environment unnaturally?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:12 am

Yes, I would like to sink a fcuken big warship a couple of ks off the coast so me and my friends can have something to look at when we go SCUBA diving.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:34 am

Rustt wrote:I've always had a wacky idea about building a giant shed over the top of an existing break so it's protected from the weather and you could have lights.
Think it was aj a few years ago posing the question about having clean surf when it's onshore. My idea was massive buoys just outside the lineup. Something like they use for Red Bull plane acrobatics might suffice
Nick Carroll wrote:Yes, I would like to sink a fcuken big warship a couple of ks off the coast so me and my friends can have something to look at when we go SCUBA diving.
Yeah, fcuk them cnuts. If they can do it, ........ Seriously though, whenever that happens it's not just the divers who are into it. Fishos are keen and I'd guess the military nuts would rather that than the scrap yard. We need to organise. Hang on, I don't need to organise at all. Neither does Russt :-)(

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:35 am

Avoid Organisation!

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:40 am

Dangerous territory

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:21 pm

I often wondered if a bit of "grooming" could produce a reasonable wave out of Flat Rock between Tugun and Currumbin. When I was growing up it was a complete waste of space.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:42 pm

I've often thought of going down to Bondi when it's flat with a shovel and digging a bit of a trench where the existing rips are. This was often discussed when they used to bulldoze sand into the gutters. Working on Chaos Theory if you give an existing occurance a bit of a prod it should be possible to enact a significant change. Maybe even a tourist digging a hole at the waters edge could either improve or stuff the banks.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:21 pm

Check out 'biorock' - would make a great reef. Not sure how expensive it is or where it can be used (water temps etc) but it effectively creates a natural reef, so should be pretty stable.

there have been some artificial reefs for surfing, but all have failed. Might be the design or the quality etc (Boscombe Surf Reef?)

Just for Nick - ex HMAS Tobruk is going to be sunk

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 103530b5e4

I gather the main issue with ex warships is that they tend to be built with, and filled with, stuff you dont want leaching into the ocean over the years. Costs more to sink them than to pull them apart.

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:49 am

On Wednesday I surfed in my steamer for the first time since probably last October.
When I was washing it on the driveway at home, I picked it up and realised what a heavy cumbersome piece of shit it is when it's wet, and it's only 2mm!!
It's a few years old now, and feels restrictive and was only a cheap West one to begin with.
What are the latest generation of wetties like, I know they are more flexible, but do they hold less water?
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.