Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by steve shearer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:53 pm

S4MS wrote:Amateur surfers put no money into the bodies, that's the difference.

Footballers, golfers etc pay their annual fees. Fishermen pay their licenses.

Nah mate, you've missed the point there. \
surfing Aus is funded by taxpayers and by fees paid for by board riders clubs, surf schools etc etc.\\

Rec fishing licences are collected by the govt and are theoretically used to improve the fishery.

They don't go to pay for peak bodies such as Ozfish etc etc who directly represent rec fishermen.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:54 pm

steve shearer wrote:Where is surfing QLD, Surfing Australia on the question of the jet ski debacle on the Goldy?\

They stand for nothing except as conduits to drain taxpayer money into pro surfing endeavours and to increase the participation rate

you answered your own question, brew.

mysurf tv, an off-shoot of surfing australia, had a ski filming out at the alley while the clusterfuck was going down. they are part of the problem.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:57 pm

steve shearer wrote:

surfing Aus is funded by taxpayers and by fees paid for by board riders clubs, surf schools etc etc.\\

Rec fishing licences are collected by the govt and are theoretically used to improve the fishery.

They don't go to pay for peak bodies such as Ozfish etc etc who directly represent rec fishermen.
Shep is right.

When i was sup training, i wasn't allowed to enter ocean events, unless I paid a rego fee to surfing QLD. they covered insurances and all kinds of things to the point where without the registration paid, i couldn't enter these events and realise my dreams as a waterman.
Kunji wrote:

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:59 pm

Another instance of big govt holding down the common man :-D-:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:02 pm

Beerfan wrote:Another instance of big govt holding down the common man :-D-:

when will we rise up against our opressors and say enough is fucking 'nough?
Kunji wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:09 pm

I think my point stands: that organised, lets say corporatised surfing, and the peak bodies that represent it often stand in conflict with recreational surfers, that is despite recreational surfers vastly out-numbering them.

From Surfing QLD's website: Surfing Queensland is the recognised not-for-profit peak State body of a National Association entrusted and committed to the development of the sport of surfing and the education of the general public on surf safety and surf survival.
Purpose: Why we exist? To promote a healthier, more inclusive and active Queensland through experiencing the sport of surfing.

Surfing Queensland has over 4000 affilated members and hundreds of direct financial members. Membership is not confined to competitive surfers, rather, Surfing Queensland's membership structure provides something for all sectors of the surfing community ranging from interested spectators to WCT competitors.

That does not compute to me.

S4MS
regular

Post by S4MS » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:12 pm

steve shearer wrote:

Don't really know about fishing tbh but here's the broad point. I like soccer and surfing. Soccer gets over $500 of my cash every year (over $1,000 if I include my kids) and I am somewhat represented. Surfing gets $0. So I'm not surprised that I get no representation from the latter peak body even if both are topped up by tax payer funds.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:16 pm

Even if the peak body is collecting tax payer funds (your money) on your behalf and is claiming to represent you as a means to do so?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:25 pm

steve shearer wrote:Even if the peak body is collecting tax payer funds (your money) on your behalf and is claiming to represent you as a means to do so?
That's quite possible. But maybe the soccer body also gets tax payer funds from the government. Which would still make s4ms point valid in that soccer is between $500 and $1000 pa better off than surfing from his involvement.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

S4MS
regular

Post by S4MS » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:29 pm

steve shearer wrote:Even if the peak body is collecting tax payer funds (your money) on your behalf and is claiming to represent you as a means to do so?
It's not right but not surprising. Only a tiny percentage of those tax payer funds come from recreational surfers so who are we to throw our weight around and make demands?

If every recreational surfer paid $500 a year to a 'peak body', you can bet that our interests would be better represented.

BTW what are we fighting for again? Artificial reefs? Better wave buoys? Personally I'm not sure what I really need from a peak body...

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:45 pm

It is interesting stuff the whole "what should pro events be allowed to do at a location" via their deals with whomever.

But I'm not sure about your central point here steve, do you think bodies like Surfing Australia should be lobbying to stop more people taking up surfing, or at least failing to encourage it, so that current surfers can have more waves? 'Cause they aren't gonna do that. Every sports and recreational organisation in Australia exists in part to encourage the take-up of their sport/recreation, it's a corollary of being into it enough to join such an organisation. Organisations that turn to discouraging people from what they supposedly represent turn very sour very quickly (look at tree's car crew).

And I am not sure that discouraging people from surfing is necessarily in the best interests of most of us. Who among Realsurf's membership were actively discouraged from taking up surfing as a youth? What effect did it have? How can we say it's OK for me and my kids to surf, oh and some of my mates, but not these other people? It's not good for people to deny others the things they enjoy, it rots you a bit.

To me SA definitely needs to start carrying more of a torch for Australia's broader surfing population but whatever that means, a la S4MS, I'm pretty sure they'll go on encouraging people to surf. That's what drives the Surf Grom program and the Soldier On thing and the 24/7 rescue technique coaching, which are all pretty positive.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:48 pm

btw I totally get you're not much of a joiner, I fully appreciate that in fact. But god help you if your kid is.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:04 pm

Surfing Q constitution

https://d30ei0jhgxjdue.cloudfront.net/u ... tution.pdf

42 page constitution and not a KPI or a mesureable service level anywhere. I say. So they do what, for who, with tax payers dosh? Saying that can't think of anything I'd like them to do for me.
Last edited by Davros on Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:25 pm

Brian Brainwave wrote:

Rise up Brainwave!
Fcuck the WSL and their shitty visa glasses.
I suggest you head down to snapper and start the revolution by purchasing items!
2 dollar coins under the foreskin style!
Erase.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:28 pm

possibly what Shearer is trying to say, is Surfing Australia, should be doing more for rec surfers. currently they seem to fly the flag for comp surfing and the pros doing it.

by all means bring other people to surfing. but ffs look after them in the water.

ie sending their own ski out in among paddlers at the alley, is actually adding to the problem, (which is also illegal?) and someone will get run over by a ski at some point.

it's not what you'd expect from a governing body.
Last edited by crabmeat thompson on Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kunji wrote:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:29 pm

The Mighty Sunbird wrote:
Brian Brainwave wrote:

Rise up Brainwave!
Fcuck the WSL and their shitty visa glasses.
I suggest you head down to snapper and start the revolution by purchasing items!
2 dollar coins under the foreskin style!

Fuck that. It'll be a dollar eighty under the old foreskin. in 10 cent pieces!

take that, oppressors!
Kunji wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:45 pm

Brian Brainwave wrote:possibly what Shearer is trying to say, is Surfing Australia, should be doing more for rec surfers. currently they seem to fly the flag for comp surfing and the pros doing it.

by all means bring other people to surfing. but ffs look after them in the water.

ie sending their own ski out in among paddlers at the alley, is actually adding to the problem, (which is also illegal?) and someone will get run over by a ski at some point.

it's not what you'd expect from a governing body.
Thats exactly what I'm saying.

of course I'm not suggesting they try and dissuade people from surfing. But, by christ, if they are hell bent on growing the number of surfers with absolutely zero ideas or plan to manage the fallout from that then thats pretty brain dead, to be kind.\\

Again, I draw a parallel with fishing because they are both lifestyle activities that rely on a limited natural resource. Peak fishing bodies, and the govt on their behalf are very active in assessing and dealing with the impact of fishing. They advocate for artificial reefs, size and bag limits etc etc.

I can't see any propositions coming from Surfing Aus about how to manage increasing surfing crowds numbers (which they directly advocating as part of their charter) on a static resource i.e. fixed number of surf spots.
Have they got a plan for that?
If not, why not?

Every week I drive to goldy airport and body bash the Tugun stretch, pretty much an artificial beach, certainly a man modified environment due to the sand bypass. Every week I look up and down the beach at 5 miles of close-outs and think, imagine if they could put 15-20 tidy little artificial reefs here. How much more surfing amenity would there be and how much pressure would it take off the Superbank.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:39 pm

I cant see how anybody in their right mind an disagree with Steven here.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable