Gary McNeill

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

batoes
charger

Re: Gary McNeill

Post by batoes » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:00 pm

Beerfan wrote:
batoes wrote:
Beerfan wrote:Not sure what ATM fins are but if you have twin tab fin plugs I've got Indo fins fcs controllers and also shapers twins. Bought some fcs fk2 keels last week. Should be here by now but haven't heard boo since I placed the order so they might never get here lol

I can't get out tomorrow morning so there's bound to be something nice :)
i missed Sunday - which from a few reports, was magic. Saturday was rubbish, but the board was fun. I am going to buy a few sets of fins - including some keels just to see what they all feel like. This is my first twin fin in seven years.
You'll disappear down the fin swap rabbit hole, you know that right?!.
I must of spent $400 on fins for that farking piece of garbage puddle jumper... the stretch and MR fins worked, but my that stage i just wanted it gone. I did the same thing with all my bonzers, too - 6, 6.5, 7, 7.5, 8 and so on until they were perfect. The only ones i don't mess with are my NPJ 2+1 - cause he did all the R&D and any board that has glass ons... <:
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:00 pm

yep - the 6 works at 5 3/4 in my mlv i also have a bamboo one that is even better. The bumblebee likes a 7-8 inch fin depending on size of the waves. The russ short liked the 6.5 - none worked with the octafish.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:18 am

DVS cutaway quads are awesome

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:08 am

Think I'm going to grab a 6'6 Entity for Autumn/Winter. Best fins for drive with this board guys? Any advice appreciated

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:39 am

Davros wrote:Think I'm going to grab a 6'6 Entity for Autumn/Winter. Best fins for drivest with this board guys? Any advice appreciated
Board whore!

I'm just jealous !

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:36 am

Lol...sold 4 boards before Xmas and I'm a bit fished up, just need something for slightly hollow waves. But yeh I'm fucking hopeless

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:20 pm

Davros wrote:Lol...sold 4 boards before Xmas and I'm a bit fished up, just need something for slightly hollow waves. But yeh I'm **** hopeless
I've had a couple of entity's - or the old Alien under the Formula Energy brand. Get the stringerless carbon job - nice and light, with awesome flex. I ran mine as a quad only - futures Yu and loved it. The rastas work perfect in my CV2, but seeing as though you are a tad heavier than me, i reckon you might need more fin. What's the setup? If a five fin, then I've heard nothing but good things about the firewire set both as thruster and quad. And i really like the AMT with trailer for smaller stuff.

Board Whore 4 life.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:17 pm

Entity ordered. Gary is s good guy, he basically said get a CV2 but if you want a good wave board to travel with get the Entity and he said get plenty in it as that board is refined quite a bit. Interestingly he said get medium sized fins even at my leadbellied 105 kegs.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:21 pm

Davros wrote:Entity ordered. Gary is s good guy, he basically said get a CV2 but if you want a good wave board to travel with get the Entity and he said get plenty in it as that board is refined quite a bit. Interestingly he said get medium sized fins even at my leadbellied 105 kegs.
The tails are pretty tight on the entity - maybe that's why? Great boards, you'll love it. Carbon rails and stuff?
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:49 pm

Yep. I ride 38-42 litre boards. This would be on the high end, maybe he sees 49 years old and 17 stone and thinks hmmm. So he should I guess.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:50 pm

plenty of good options in the mediums - rasta quads are great. Mulcoy five fin set up is also really good/neutral. Just got some machado fins so i'll let you know how they go.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:55 pm

Cool. Please do

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:01 am

How is this, my Entity is ready and will be delivered to my door step today. Yew.

Through Boardcave but Gary still contacted and gave some great advice.

Now that's service Batoes

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:13 am

Davros wrote:How is this, my Entity is ready and will be delivered to my door step today. Yew.

You got it though boardcave? The McNeil boards are crazy cheap on boardcave. Let us know how it turns out.

What dims did you go? Lots of people here mention he's good at boards with beef that aren't boats.

Sickie for sure !!!

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:41 am

Will do mate..I sold my Wasp after two rides as it had too much beef..dropped a 100 bucks. I would get a Wasp in sub 6ft, my usual board is 6'2 or 6'4. If I didn't have my Quartet I would have gotten a CV2 but I needed a better wave board for Autumn/Winter and Gary gave me some great advice on the Entity in that its quite refined and has a lot taken out down to the rail with a doomed deck, so don't be shy getting a bit in it. Think I ended up with about 40 litres...

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:49 pm

Davros wrote:How is this, my Entity is ready and will be delivered to my door step today. Yew.

Awesome - such a champ and i keep thinking more and more of going through companies like boardcave. You might pay alittle more, but they will chase and get the board done.

Let us know how it goes.

Machado fins are little rockets - maybe even these might be good: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182473465917 ... EBIDX%3AIT

Bigger fins, but fast and responsive.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:08 pm

Thinking of selling my 6'7 russ short and getting gary mcneil entity semi pin for bigger days
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:16 pm

Drailed, what is the width & thickness of your russ short?
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"