Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

tootr
Duke Status

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by tootr » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:54 pm

Frederic Bastiat had it all over Keynes.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:15 pm

Braithy wrote:Rifle fast overhead pits in about waist deep water.

Cheeehawww
Pretty much like that at Happy Valley, too.
I got three.
Well, two actually. The first one got me.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:20 pm

no, it seems to have faded.

I was going to take my daughter to the pass this morning but the rain and uninspiring cam kept us tucked up.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:21 pm

bobjs wrote:
steve shearer wrote:“the industrial problem arises from the base forcing of all human energy into a competition of mere acquisition.” Human concerns, in other words, are narrowed to economics.

It is unsurprising to see people concerned solely with making a living if they face starvation. But, for Lawrence, what is queer about modern Europeans—including the working classes—is that actual starvation is seldom a danger for any man, yet they behave as if it is. Indeed, he begins his lengthy philosophical essay “The Education of the People” with exactly this issue: “Curious that when the toothless old sphinx croaks ‘How are you going to get your living?’ our knees give way beneath us. . . . The fear of penury is very curious, in our age. In really poor ages men did not fear penury. They didn’t care. But we are abjectly terrified of it. Why?” Whoever has wits (and guts), Lawrence points out, doesn’t starve, nor does he care about starving. But today the only thing that seems to really move people is a threat to their safety and security. We are all, it seems, Nietzsche’s Last Man.
Around 1930, Keynes predicted that in 100 years we would all be working just 15 hours per week as we would earn enough due to economic growth and therefore would choose to have more leisure time. A bit of media lately about this and why it has not happened despite the economic growth. Some suggest it is because the more you earn, the greater the incentive to work. i.e. you forego more by not working if you can earn more. What daily rate would make realsurfers give up the best day of the year?
We have a Keynesian taxation policy operating within a Freidman system - I speculate it's the the only way to maintain public health care without deficits impacting bond ratings, I'd take it over the U.S.

No surf today as its shite
Last edited by Davros on Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:24 pm

saltman wrote:high Tide shifting peaks
Offshore but wobbly
Rainy Grey and unsatisfying

No sign of the dangerously strong swell warned about on the morning radio
Those warnings are automatically generated by BOM based on period and amplitude thresholds, they are targeted at rockfishers.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:25 pm

It's ironic, because a reduction in working hours is being forced upon us by the twin phenomena of robotics/ai and the power of techno-corporatism.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:29 pm

Aborigines reportedly worked 2-5 hours a day, but supposedly they are a less advanced civilisation.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:29 pm

Technology is a little like the industrial revolution in that it's created a lot of jobs but instead of freeing slaves as the industrial revolution did the technical revolution has created slaves but in a different form.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:56 pm

I wish everyone would read Galarrwuy Yunupingus essay in the Monthly; it's one of the greatest pieces of prose this country has ever produced.

"What Aboriginal people ask is that the modern world now makes the sacrifices necessary to give us a real future. To relax its grip on us. To let us breathe, to let us be free of the determined control exerted on us to make us like you. And you should take that a step further and recognise us for who we are, and not who you want us to be. Let us be who we are – Aboriginal people in a modern world – and be proud of us. Acknowledge that we have survived the worst that the past had thrown at us, and we are here with our songs, our ceremonies, our land, our language and our people – our full identity. What a gift this is that we can give you, if you choose to accept us in a meaningful way."

Now when I am at Dhanaya, my most special place, I see the future running above the water, down the blue skyline and through the horizon, as if it were on a projector screen revealing to me a portrait of the future.

At other times I see a beautiful painting, created by the hands of masters, now broken into a thousand pieces. Those pieces are split up and thrown about, and I am seeking always to put them back together, to refit the pieces, to re-create the picture as it should be and then to hang it again on the wall – a beautiful picture for all to see.

In these moments I tune myself up so high that sometimes I can’t even hear myself think. I wonder, then, who understands me, who could understand?"

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:58 pm

I don't think we know how to

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:00 pm

saltman wrote:high Tide shifting peaks
Offshore but wobbly
Rainy Grey and unsatisfying

No sign of the dangerously strong swell warned about on the morning radio
My beachie was a full proper mini (4ft) pipe and backdoor situation.

It really pulsed on the incoming tide for a bit
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:04 pm

And here's the link to the Galarrwuy Yunupingu piece.
https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/201 ... om-watangu

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:02 pm

steve shearer wrote:see if you can find one......otherwise
Braithy knows a shit load in Lennox Head.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:03 pm

steve shearer wrote:Only Southerners have taken horsewhips and pistols to editors about the treatment or maltreatment of their manuscript. This--the actual pistols--was in the old days, of course, we no longer succumb to the impulse. But it is still there, within us.”
yeah yeah sure. but pity too the poor sap at whom the buck stops, frantically stitching together the halfarsed efforts of a lazy freelancer into something resembling an acceptable product against a loudly ticking deadline
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:08 am

steve shearer wrote: 'if you are surfing long period groundswells on INdo reefs, mostly IMpossibles with tradewinds, it's almost certain an epoxy sandwich board, particularly an EPS core is going to be a performance disadvantage compared to a poly.
Steve, I reckon Kelly Slater won Teahupoo on an EPS board. Care to comment?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:54 am

incorrect.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:29 am

Ok, you are probably right, but are you sure?
Had his label on it, and seemingly the 'strip of a 0.75” (18 mm) wide aerospace composite that runs down the centreline of the board' instead of a stringer and his label boards are EPS. And Strider said it was like his older boards, except for the different construction.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:19 pm

I woke at 4am, punched out 500 words, had two coffees and drove to the spot at 5.14am. Fished for 40 minutes or so, caught and released a jew that was close to legal, probably would've risked it if there was nothing in the fridge.
Still some long period energy in the water, winds W. Not much on the Point but the odd set had a very tasty little barrelling inside wedge section. Suited up and got 2 or 3. A good one and came in.
Let the chooks out, fed the chooks, chased the bush turkeys off, got the kids breakfasted.
Went with my daughter to the farmers market. Found some local jerusalem artichokes being sold by a spicy dark eyed israeli bird.
Dropped my daughter at school then went to Tallows.
It was spitting and dredging, bit slow but gorgeous when they came.
10/10 surface conditions with a fresh WNW to W breeze, really hollow. Sand packed in shallow like concrete.

Byron boys had a lock on it. Their method of localism is subtle but effective; if they don't know you you're invisible to them in the lineup. I saw a few familiar faces. Enough to enjoy a little space.
3 Little Birds strategy. I only need one two or 3, singing sweet songs to get the stoke on.
Eventually I did get my wave, a full throated little dredging left tube. So I came in. The little fairy wrens have their breeding plumage in the wattle bush.