Byron is buggered

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Larry
barnacle

Byron is buggered

Post by Larry » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:31 pm

.... this is a well known fact.

It was buggered from the moment the blubber factory laid rails on the pier to bring whale carcasses from the whale boats and into their iron-roofed sheds.

Then it was buggered for the second time when Walkers decided to use the same facilities to slaughter the cows and pigs raised by cattle farmers who blew in from Milton and all points south of Wollongong after the timber-cutters buggered the hinterland by cutting down the Big Scrub and clearing all the land.

This was after the local constabulary and their local helpers buggered it by laying bloody waste to the local tribes and claiming what belonged to them now belonged to themselves.

Nobody I know remembers little Ginty Marr who must have been taken by something big enough to bite hamburger sized chunks out of his tinny before it was washed ashore on Main Beach without him.

He was buggered .. believe me

Nobody I know remembers the satisfying thunk of a NSW fist on a QLD jawbone at the Pier pub on Saturday nights - those days are gone.

Nostalgia . Cream on the cake.

You young Princes got room for the tawdry reminiscences a +70 year-old?

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Byron is buggered

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:41 pm

As long as there is more buggery, I say of course!
Erase.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:58 am

Dunno about Princes. Plenty of Princesses on here though.

Go for it Laz. Love reading your stuff.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:28 pm

1st world problem

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:32 pm

I think I first surfed there in '65 when a bunch of us Currumbin kids got taken down for a weekend by a couple of our parents.
Full moon and I wanted to go for a midnight paddle out to Julian Rocks. Probably a good thing no one else wanted to go.

Plenty of visits in '66 and '67. Drive down to Cooly from Brisbane on Saturday afternoon after working in the morning. Surf then roller skate then drive over the Burringbar Range around midnight. Sleep in the cars, generally at the pier and surf there in the morning. Never fell foul of the law like a lot of others. Side trips to Broken Head and /or Lennox. Then drive back to Brisbane late Sunday afternoon.

It might be buggered now but in those days it was pure heaven.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:54 pm

fcuk the bank is ruler edged at the Pass right now though.

been having a ball out there the last 3 days.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:37 pm

Surfed The Pass on my first surf trip at the end of High School. 1974. Went down the coast as far as Port. Made a point of zipping over whenever it looked like it might be good after that. I remember seeing Frank Latta take it apart one Saturday Arvo. Great waves at Main Beach and Broken too. Only surfed Lennox much later.
Basically trawled the coast between Kingy and Newcastle for many years as I drove to and from college....which seemed to stretch on for ever.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:56 am

Indeed. It would have to be in amongst the top of the well and truly 'buggered' spots listing but still can attract the many and varied sideshow of flotsam and jetsam from Melbourne and Sydney ( northern beaches transplants mostly- don't know why?) and the international glitterati from euro trash backpacker to the occasional real live movie/rock star. The question is wtf would any sane person bother with it nowadays? Like a trip to Bali and staying at Kuta the whole time.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:55 am

aaarating wrote:Indeed. It would have to be in amongst the top of the well and truly 'buggered' spots listing but still can attract the many and varied sideshow of flotsam and jetsam from Melbourne and Sydney ( northern beaches transplants mostly- don't know why?) and the international glitterati from euro trash backpacker to the occasional real live movie/rock star. The question is wtf would any sane person bother with it nowadays? Like a trip to Bali and staying at Kuta the whole time.
That pretty much sums up my opinion of Byron. I first went there in about 1975 and loved it then but no more. Just too bloody crowded......might as well stay in Sydney.

And it's good to see you back Larry. Keep those stories coming. :B

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:08 am

I don't mind going for a stroll around if I happen to be passing through....but the traffic is so bad you wouldn't pass through unless you had to.
Last two surfs: First on a mal with this prick going out of his way to snake and drop in on every wave I caught...and I mean to the point where it was weird. Last one was on my fishcuit. Worked out I could take off right on the outside rock where there was only a couple of lid riders and then squeeze around the second rock and into the pack so that no one could drop in or even attempt to catch the wave. Had a ball.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon May 02, 2016 9:41 am

most of the north nsw/ se qld stretch – shit you could include most of the east coast – is buggered when you compare it to the purity of earlier times.

it's been hard to watch just through my time, i can't imagine what it must feel like to have had the 60's & 70's all to yourselves out at the pass, and kirra and burleigh etc ...

even though it's madly cold, i found tas still has that purity.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Mon May 02, 2016 10:09 am

So what happens if these advocates for 80 million population get their way?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon May 02, 2016 11:07 am

We'll all move down to braithys place and keep the purity alive, realsurf style. Braithwaite will be the guru. Anyone tries to ruin the purity, Iggy and his brick will sort it. Legion will design a bunker for when the apocalypse comes. Sunstroke will be the PR officer. Guaranteed to keep people away

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon May 02, 2016 1:33 pm

and we'll call it a "retreat" so our wives don't become suspicious.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon May 02, 2016 3:23 pm

Braithy wrote:and we'll call it a "retreat" so our wives don't become suspicious.

Oh. I thought they'd be sex slaves. This changes things and I'm not interested anymore

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon May 02, 2016 4:39 pm

Braithy wrote:most of the north nsw/ se qld stretch – shit you could include most of the east coast – is buggered when you compare it to the purity of earlier times.

it's been hard to watch just through my time, i can't imagine what it must feel like to have had the 60's & 70's all to yourselves out at the pass, and kirra and burleigh etc ...

even though it's madly cold, i found tas still has that purity.
Kirras always been crowded.
Have surfed it with about two other people.....but that was just a fluke. We were looking at boards in Goodtime as this storm belted through. Then it swung offshore and the sun came out. First in the water.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon May 02, 2016 4:54 pm

last year I turned away from perfect point surf time and time again because there was no-one out.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Mon May 02, 2016 4:56 pm

During the "shark anomaly" ?