lost surfboard (Dee Why)

The new place to register any boards or other surfing equipment for sale.
Or, if you want to report something lost or found, list it here.
There's no time limit on how long your ad can run but please help us to keep the relevant stuff at the top by changing the heading to include the word "SOLD" when you've disposed of the item. An admin or mod may elect to alter the heading for you if there's no activity for a long period of time.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

lost surfboard (Dee Why)

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:20 am

How do you lose a surfboard? Easy… rest it on your bumper bar, get distracted by other 'stuff' going through your f'd-up head and drive off WITHOUT stashing your board first. Yes, that's me folks or how it unfolded, yesterday (Wednesday 27 April) Dee Why Beach car park about midday pretty much in front of the amenities block. I did return much later on realisation, but of course it was gone.

The board is VERY distinctive, one of my own shapes, and 'TOMO' like in appearance. 5'11" x 20 1/2" x 2 1/2 or thereabouts… Features a cut-off diamond nose and very broad split tail basically in the shape of a "W". Very parallel plan shape. Board has no logos, bright orange deck and bright yellow bottom, Primarily quad set up, blue glass fronts, H3 carbon rears and has a SINGLE FCS plug on the stringer with a tiny red/black knubster fin.

Also has some recent pencil marks on the bottom used for transferring specifications.

Can make another, but would like it back for many reasons.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: lost surfboard (Dee Why)

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:17 am

Indeed it has been a while S-Man, and funnily enough the board that I lost was linked to one of the last threads I started in the design area. At the time it was my first machine-cut board and started it's life as a pintail with a rounded nose, but it never got finished in that guise. I intended to document the make, but didn't. As I said, it never got finished in that carnation and ended up in storage, then the Sunshine Coast then back to Sydney all prior to finishing and glassing.

In the interim, the 'Tomo' thing had very much started to happen and having a penchant for different things thought, 'why not'. Also happened to be in Bali at a time when some of the exec crew of Firewire were having a 'meeting' and I believe it may have been their 'main man' was riding a Tomo-design to great effect, but it could have also been a prototype, either way it was more your parallel rail design. Guess that got burnt into my brain, so the nose and tail got cut-off mine, and it eventually got coloured, glassed, etc…

At a personal level, lot of water under the bridge in the missing years and not necessarily for these pages. More recently have been working in the industry doing various tasks, primarily sanding at a couple of notable Mona Vale factories. Now there are some insights and stories, not sure I can spill too much though. Has at least given me the opportunity to make a couple, one of which should be tested in Bali soon.

For the random makers, for my last board (yet to be ridden or lost!) I have used a hybrid Colan glass exclusive to Sanded I think. It's a composite of e-glass, nylextra and basalt. Used it as an underlay on the deck and the nylextra component is quite textured. Thought I may have trouble getting back to flat in sanding but with our double hit filler technique it worked OK except around the sensitive areas of nose and top of the tail rail where it was kind of hard to not hit the weave, then it's like quadraxial cloth (like Haydenshapes deck cloth), goes white and fluffy. However, in this case the nylextra tends to be less visible than I'm used to. The basalt component looks like carbon without the lustre.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:47 am

Virgin surf misses you Ric.
Hope you find your board. But frankly, shit like this has the board of directors looking to make a change at the top. We may have to replace you with a more dynamic CEO, sunstroke or young dammit come immediately to mind.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:00 am

It's a sign off1, time for me to move on, kind of just mirroring life.

I'll scratch out another one day, make it the VII model, everyone has models don't they?

Profits of Virgin Surf are in a turmoil, might see if we can sign up Dane or Baldy…

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:39 am

I reckon a board of your description will be hard to hide.
Good luck and all the best to you Ric.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon May 02, 2016 3:22 pm

Relax all, it has shown up and in the safe care of others… people are good!

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon May 02, 2016 3:25 pm

Sweet!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon May 02, 2016 3:50 pm

Great news.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Mon May 02, 2016 9:36 pm

Ric...there are two things I'm happy about as this post represents..... as others have said...1. there are good folks out there and 2... that you're still around the traps.
More travel on your horizon too...very good for the soul