bonzers.....the quad fad is over

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

batoes
charger

Re: bonzers.....the quad fad is over

Post by batoes » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:15 pm

So i've been playing around with a few different fins in the bumble bee. I've used all the trueames and the 7inch is the minimum. I've also been using a 7.5 inch bamboo one i had made, which is pretty good, but at times i still find i catch a rail or even slip out on a bottom turn - things that rarely happen with my mlv. I have the placement pretty much locked down, so i've tried some other fins. The one that has been interesting has been the 7inch greenough 4a. I thought with all that flex, it would fire me over board, but i rode it in decent size last weekend and it stuck to all the big stuff. Drive was ok - not perfect though and there's not too much room to move the fin about because it is a rear screw setup. Anyone else played around with different fins in their bonzer?
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:35 am

Don't have a bonzer but those greenough 4a fins are magic. I've had 2, a big 9"+ and a 7 1/2" huie made for me. Both great fins. Huies one went so good in my longboard despite the small size I stopped using the big one.

I don't have any boards with th option of a single fin but I'm keeping the fin until I get another one, it's that good. Drivy and fast but turns great.

Hopefully Roy isn't lurking haha

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:24 am

Beerfan wrote:Don't have a bonzer but those greenough 4a fins are magic. I've had 2, a big 9"+ and a 7 1/2" huie made for me. Both great fins. Huies one went so good in my longboard despite the small size I stopped using the big one.

I don't have any boards with th option of a single fin but I'm keeping the fin until I get another one, it's that good. Drivy and fast but turns great.

I should get in contact with Huie to make me one. The one i have is rear screwed and can't go any further back! I feel it doesn't have enough drive, so it needs to go back.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:40 am

batoes wrote:
Beerfan wrote:Don't have a bonzer but those greenough 4a fins are magic. I've had 2, a big 9"+ and a 7 1/2" huie made for me. Both great fins. Huies one went so good in my longboard despite the small size I stopped using the big one.

I should get in contact with Huie to make me one. The one i have is rear screwed and can't go any further back! I feel it doesn't have enough drive, so it needs to go back.

More than welcome to try mine, I don't have a board for it lol

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:05 pm

Beerfan wrote:
batoes wrote:

More than welcome to try mine, I don't have a board for it lol
ok - might have to take you up on it!
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:18 pm

Fin exchanges are the way

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:42 pm

Davros wrote:Fin exchanges are the way
speaking of which - have you got any 7 inch fins laying about Dav? :-D-:
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:17 pm

I had an AKai 7 1/2 dolphin which was great but on loan. Have an Albacore 7 1/2 lying around if you fancy a go mate

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:27 am

Davros wrote:I had an AKai 7 1/2 dolphin which was great but on loan. Have an Albacore 7 1/2 lying around if you fancy a go mate
i'm borrowing beerfans and i've taken a 1/4 inch from the rear tab of the fin screw on my 7 so i'll see how they go. Thanks.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:32 am

Np

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:41 pm

Anyone see Adam Robertson riding a Bonzer @ Bells? It's on his Instagram page @adamrobbo1

Check out the cuttie - fark. If that was JJF people would be shooting spunk all over the place

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:42 pm

Davros wrote:Anyone see Adam Robertson riding a Bonzer @ Bells? It's on his Instagram page @adamrobbo1

Check out the cuttie - fark. If that was JJF people would be shooting spunk all over the place
Yeah that was a great cuttie - good wave too.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:24 pm

Just put your 7' bonzer fin in the mail back to you.
Cheers for the loan!
Only a rat can win the rat race.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:36 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:Just put your 7' bonzer fin in the mail back to you.
Cheers for the loan!
No worries - going to through it back in the BB - aiming for less twang that the bamboo gives.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:27 pm

Looking for a set of fcs tabbed bonzer siderunners to buy if anyone has a set they want to sell.
Specifically I'm really after the smaller pair (fronts) as I have a pair of the larger ones already.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Straighthanded
regular

Post by Straighthanded » Wed May 25, 2016 10:54 am

Newly joined this site after much reading of this thread - had flirted with the idea of a bonzer and this thread didn't help! Luckily for me (and my marriage) a 6'2" Russ Short came up on Gumtree and I pounced - Tangerine orange tint and 6.5" True Ames Bonzer fin shaped by Malcolm on one of his visits. Such a nice board to look at, those bottom curves...wow!

Ridden it a few times in smaller waves and its has a nice flow down the line and loves to swoop into a cutback - seems to generate speed as you wrap around - but have found it is a bit sticky off the top. It pivots off the top ok - but i think its the outline of the board, seems more like the 70's/80's style of surfing. Still I can't wait to try it in some long walled surf with some size! Definitely a keeper......but an additional modern shaped bonzer would not be unloved!

Few brag photo's!

ImageImageImage

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed May 25, 2016 10:58 am

whoa.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed May 25, 2016 11:26 am

Nice, check out the mini merk model if your looking for something a bit snappier.....
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable