Jeffreys Bay Pro 2015

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Jeffreys Bay Pro 2015

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:01 pm

swvic wrote:Alfred Deakin Fellow, top of his game. Since he's been here I've wanted to have a discussion, but I'm at least smart enough to know it won't be well received
Nonsense. Lay it on us brother.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:39 pm

C'mon, Braithy, my opinion is something you don't value, especially in regard to academics. Remember Gio?
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:47 pm

And while I'm at it, I respectfully acknowledge your views about GWS - in fact I'm in complete agreeance. That does not diminish my feeling that you played the man a bit with Steve. Hopefully, I'm very wrong, but it seems there's something in the background we're not all aware of. Whatever, it's a long way from when you were making great contribution to The Freeride Voice

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:49 pm

Fcuk, should I reinstate my target avatar?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:06 am

Yeah, yeah, Fong. Can't wait for your next contribution

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:12 am

swvic wrote:And while I'm at it, I respectfully acknowledge your views about GWS - in fact I'm in complete agreeance. That does not diminish my feeling that you played the man a bit with Steve. Hopefully, I'm very wrong, but it seems there's something in the background we're not all aware of. Whatever, it's a long way from when you were making great contribution to The Freeride Voice
yeah possibly. But nah.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:21 am

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:56 am

Did steve delete his post?

Anyway there was these group of spearos at mona vale beach that brought up a dead grey nurse shark over the weekend. Laughing and boasting about their catch. The grey nurse is a protected species and fines are up to $220,000.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:27 am

Didn't see a post from steve. Hope we do soon

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:48 am

swvic wrote:Yeah, yeah, Fong. Can't wait for your next contribution
He's so proud of his contribution that he has resurrected 5 old shark-related threads and posted it on each one. But he makes a good point. 3-)

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:02 am

I like carvin's point more

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:06 pm

swvic wrote:@ a'boo Didn't know that, but not surprising. Techniques have advanced, but I doubt it will ever advance far enough for me to accept the results. There's a big name prof here who published in either Science or Nature about the movement or marine turtles. n equalled 1. Alfred Deakin Fellow, top of his game. Since he's been here I've wanted to have a discussion, but I'm at least smart enough to know it won't be well received
Why would a little yellow "dumb" tag alter a fishes behaviour? They are about 10cm long and as thin as spaghetti. Placed in the shoulder. I've tagged fish as part of the NSW gamefish tagging program and even had a 92cm kingish I caught off North Head recaptured 188 days later at Long Reef, exactly where you'd expect a big kingie to hang out, and where other big kings were located at the time. It had grown 5cm in the period between tagging and recapture.
I've also caught a rat king which had been tagged, Saw it among a school of rats before it took the lure and it was behaving exactly as the others where. As long as you place the tag in the right area and look after the fish while quickly tagging, they are cool, Can't see how a tiny tag would affect behaviour as I've seen fish with fins missing, great chunks out of them after encounters with predators etc behaving normally. Have also seen the same fish been re-caught 10 minutes apart so if being caught, brought aboard and released be so traumatic why would they immediately start feeding again?
Have also been part of fisheries scientist's smart electronic tagging of kingfish. Watching the scientist at work was fascinating. The tiny electronic beacon is inserted in a little slit in the belly cavity and the slit sewn up and the fish given a shot of antibiotics. From the results the tagged kings are travelling and behaving as a big kingie would be expected.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:00 pm

Bomby, I'll get around to it when I can, but you're a smart guy. A lot of the answer is in your post. Here's a challenge; think about it and get back to me and then I'll respond

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:15 pm

carvin marvin wrote:Image
Yeah, nice picture.....but the implications are all wrong, just one way of repeating the old myth that sharks are colour blind.

http://www.sharktrust.org/en/sight

The ratio of rod to cone cells in humans is 4:1, but this ratio varies in sharks. For example, the Spiny Dogfish (Squalus acanthias) has a ratio of 50:1, the Sandbar Shark (Carcharhinus plumbeus) 13:1 and the White Shark (Carcharodon carcharias) 4:1 (the same as a human). In the past it was thought that sharks only had a few cone cells and were unable to see in colour or detail, however more recent studies have proven that this is not the case

I don't believe in the "The shark thought it was a seal and made a mistake when biting the human" explanation. As usual, we humans gradually find out that animals have much more developed skills and abilities than we think.

Maybe they sometimes bite as a radical form of dental hygiene: Having eaten enough salmon (or whatever else is "Chef Neptune’s Special" at the moment), they get the urge to break out a few of the old teeth on something with lots of bones, so that they can quickly regrow a new set during the ensuing growth spurt. Just wild speculation, of course.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:37 pm

How many of these white shark attack victims are actually eaten? None i can think of. Maybe that one off a jetski near Adelaide a few years back. Reportably taken by 2 sharks. I know from the footage of the cruise ship attack in the pacific a decade or two ago that sharks are competitive with each other. The rescue boat came to the aid of the woman only for the white shark thinking it was competition and holding onto her while she pulled on an oar. The shark made off with the whole leg.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:41 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:53 pm

Kunji wrote:Did steve delete his post?

Anyway there was these group of spearos at mona vale beach that brought up a dead grey nurse shark over the weekend. Laughing and boasting about their catch. The grey nurse is a protected species and fines are up to $220,000.
It was covered in today's Manly Daily. The shark had a spear through its head. The culprits drove off in a champagne 4WD and the authorities are after them. Hopefully they catch the pricks.

cedric
Grommet

Post by cedric » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:57 pm

Kunji, lots were eaten or attacked with no body recovered,Guy at the abrolos Is, Jevan wright at Elliston and within 24 hrs a guy surfing cactus ,Terry Gibson merino beach Adelaide ,a windsurfer yorke peninsula, Brad a surfer at lefthanders W.A., Shirley durdin Pt Lincoln area, A young Asian diver Aldinga reef-a few just off the top of my head -But theres plenty more .