Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:53 am

JaM71 wrote: Thanks Nick, how does the evo compare to a nano? And what waves/conditions do you prefer the evo & when do you prefer the nano? Cheers
The Evo has a bit more lift and feels slightly softer and rounder in turns.

I don't really get too choosy about conditions with either board, I just surf 'em when I feel like it, but the Evo seems like it can handle slightly bigger surf and the best surfs I've had on the Nano have been in steep juicy little rip bowls.

gardie
Grommet

Post by gardie » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:34 pm

Thanks Nick

I was getting the same thing for the Rio Billabong pro so even with a naming sponsor they were still putting up a blank screen while I assume the US and Brazilian ads ran as well as any pay TV feed

So I assumed it wasnt worth the effort for the aussie market or as some one suggested maybe its not worth playing a bong bikini ad to a grumpy old prick like me

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:44 pm

hmm I am gonna look into this, I don't know why itd cost any more to carry ads in Australia.

I know the blank screen thing is happening in the US too.

Most interesting.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:50 pm

gardie wrote:or as some one suggested maybe its not worth playing a bong bikini ad to a grumpy old prick like me
:oops:
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:24 pm

Dear Nick, over the last few weeks I've been having a bit of an epiphany about surfing. Having face to face contact with all these amazing, committed individuals like Kidman, Wayne Lynch, Greenough, Geoff McCoy, not to mention all the super skilled local surfers, I've found myself more and more in a state of wonder and awe. Thats apart from any riding of waves, which has also reached some sort of peak in terms of satisfaction and a realisation of how little i need to get stoked. How much I can give back, sharing in the water, on land. Teaching my daughter how to surf, waking up early and taking her and her friends to the beach.
I feel a part of this magnificent thing, this culture, this activity with all it's (realised) potential for unmediated reality and connection; both with nature and fellow human beings.
Jumping off the rocks and paddling out, having this vast basalt headland towering over me, this ocean and all the things in it keeps producing this peculiar thought/sensation of extreme difference from the reality on land. It feels so qualitatively different to be in the water and paddling as against being on dry land. It's a sort of "wow, am I really here doing this" kind of thought/feeling.
It's filling me full of a sense of abundance, kindness towards strangers and love.
Am I having a mid-life crisis?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:49 pm

Yes.

I mean go with it -- what the hell?! what idiot avoids a mid-life crisis! -- but if at some point you find yourself thinking more and more about some extremely attractive unusual woman who you keep bumping into in the water or on surf checks or whatever, who seems interested in you and delightfully playful and intelligent, and you begin to imagine running away with her to some faraway island or whatever, yeah, press the eject button right there buster.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:51 pm

hhahahaa, trust you to lower the tone.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:56 pm

that's what this fcuken thread is all about.

--++sunstroke++--
Owl status

Post by --++sunstroke++-- » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:58 pm

Well played!
What's the difference between Elizabeth Warren & Kamala Harris?

One's pretending to be an Indian & the others pretending she isn't!

Mr Percival
Local

Post by Mr Percival » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:06 pm

Nick, would that same advice apply if a man had no commitments?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:18 pm

A man with no commitments will have an entirely different kind of mid life crisis.

Mr Percival
Local

Post by Mr Percival » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:33 pm

That's a green light in my book of mixed signals!

Speaking of, I've now read TC. I picked it up in an airport. That bit where you rented for a while was a real surprise.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:42 pm

btw I don't feel this as any kind of escape from committment, quite the opposite.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:43 pm

Yes, could you tell us more about the affair and the renting that followed. Not salaciously. But properly?
asking respectfully.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:11 pm

hmm well I want to write about this somewhere else, in some other context.

so I'll keep it brief.

I met a woman, someone I found very attractive, but who in other circumstances may not have had quite the effect on me that she had.

As it was I had felt deeply unfulfilled in my marriage for some time, I think mainly because my distorted picture of what womanhood owed me was out of sync with reality.

So there was a big hole in my life and also a thoroughly unhealed emotional wound, a crack in the powerful picture of myself that I'd erected in the face of the world, and suddenly it felt as if everything had become unbearable.

to me this woman presented as an answer to a question that'd lain unasked in me for longer than I could guess or imagine.

I went in all the way and it burned me all the way through. Destroyed every illusion I'd had about myself.

All the people closest to me were hurt, some badly, the woman as much as most. I've done a lot to repair the damage but it remains the most scarring and shameful experience of my life.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:15 pm

How long did it go on for, if you don't mind me asking?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:18 pm

umm all up from start to finish, three years?

The affair bit maybe a year and change.

The renting was actually the best part of it. I had space to reconnect with myself and while a lot of the time was incredibly lonely and sad, it did feel new and I did a lot of growing up in a short time. Almost as if I were able to live a piece of my life that I'd missed the first time.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:24 pm

So, no regrets then.....just kidding.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?