surfboard agency boards

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

surfywurfy
regular

Re: surfboard agency boards

Post by surfywurfy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:52 am

YES,,my 8/0 xf is a pleasure to surf compared to the equivalent Polys which are just dead weight unresponsive wastes of foam and fibreglass...

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:17 pm

I dare you to post that sentiment on the Facebook McCoy nugget group's page.
Lol!
You'll be hunted down and hung, drawn and quartered!
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:26 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:Still loving my 6'3" xf nugget. Surfed it Sat & Sun mornings when it was super straight but with the odd gem to be had and its performance is continuing to suprise me. I'm with cranked...the lightness of the xf's give me what I felt was missing in the poly handshaped McCoys I had in the past.
Thank god, I thought I was a voice in the wilderness. Yeah, the excessive weight of some McCoys is truly amazing.

You should try one of the smaller DEs, fcuk they really fly, the 6'1 would probably suit you. It'll paddle in better than your 6'3 and go about 20% faster, and is a smaller lighter board.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:38 pm

One of my local stores have a 5'11 and 6'1' nugget in the yellow and blue colour. Advertised online.

Haven't seen one in the flesh. Read somewhere the older ones are stronger than the newer ones? Is that right?

Wasn't really thinking of a nugget, but nothing ventured nothing gained.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:37 am

JET01 wrote:
Haven't seen one in the flesh. Read somewhere the older ones are stronger than the newer ones? Is that right.
I have quite a few older and newer. The old xf ones are strong (not when compared to a surftech tho) and the new ones are good so far (3-4 months old, one trip to Indo), all with virtually no deck depressions. The rocker is the main thing, they are very different boards.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:23 pm

Thanks.

Thinking the 6'1 could be an option for my next tangent.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

old grom
Grommet

Post by old grom » Wed May 06, 2015 9:59 pm

Hi Cranked.. thanks for posting all this info about the Xf nuggs. I have had many McCoys and made the leap to one of these after reading your posts and Cuttles review (he is a friend and we have simular board tastes..). Just got a 6'8" Xf (old style), I am 47yrs, 95Kg, with a buggered left shoulder.

I was very interested to read your thoughts on the differences between the old new new Xf's. I was looking at a new - but found an old one online (clearance stock) at a cheap price so I just grabbed it. I then looked at Cuttles 6'8, and was disapointed that I did not get the new one...as on looks it had a different shape (seemed to have a pointier nose...) and was slightly wider (which I like..) but slightly less volume 49l vs 51l.

I did not realise there was a rocker difference. Is the new model any less back footed in orientation (I must admit I liked the Zot...and a thruster Zot in Xf would be very cool...if the new nuggs are like that..).

You say they ride differently...could you elaborate?

And Cuttle - after a bit of a shaky start (found the board a bit corky...and not as good a paddle as expected...but used to simular volume with a flatter rocker..); I am starting to take a shine to the 6'8 Xf. Few points:
- bloody tough tech, I have dropped it..pushed my knee in it very hard, and had several knocks...its very strong compared to PU.

- Light as...its almost an optical illusion...this took me a while to get used to (and its harder to duck dive that the 6'8 PU), but now I am a convert.

- the rocker is all nugget..this board can take any drop and just makes it.

- CONS - still struggle with the level of backfoot orientation, and am often to far up the board...just slightly but it makes a big difference. When I am BACK I really notice the dome..

Anyway early days. Off to Indo in three weeks and trying to decide if the nugg makes my two board quiver...

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Thu May 07, 2015 7:30 am

On TSAsite it lists 49litres for the new XF.6/8x21.25x2and 7/8.....how does your board differ OG?(apart from wider nose).....there is an XF dimension chart and a PU chart...the PU is same but 3 thick and listed at 51 litres.....both should float about the same given that the styrene cores are more buoyant.

Does your 6/8 have the fusion FSC plugs?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu May 07, 2015 4:53 pm

A quick word on my 6'8". Old grom's is an earlier build with fusion plugs whereas mine is fcs II. I've had one quick surf on mine in 2'ers just to see how it paddled. Found the accelerators I was running in the 6'3" made it feel a bit stiff. Anyway I'd bought it for riding larger beachbreaks so I put a set of Kelly slaters in it.
This past Monday it was offshore and 3-4' peaks at Maroochydore so great conditions to give it another run. Took it out and was having a ball. Easy to catch waves and felt loose enough with the Kellys. I was thinking of selling it (to grab a 6'6") but after my first 2 waves that thought was banished.
The set waves were a breeze on it and I found myself doing deeper and deeper bottom turns into vert reos (80's style) until I felt 3 crunches in my back knee and that was it. Sprained ligaments and limping around. Best week of beachbreak waves all year are passing me by.
I can't blame the board just my ageing body.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Thu May 07, 2015 8:03 pm

That sucks Cuttles - speedy recovery mate.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Thu May 07, 2015 8:19 pm

As an ageing body, that's just scary

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri May 08, 2015 5:30 am

The weird thing is on Monday when I did it I could barely walk. Driving my kids to school Tuesday morning before going to see the doctor was super painful and I was limping badly. Doc checked it out and range of motion, etc weren't bad and looks like strained collateral ligaments. He said he'd see me again Friday to see how was going and if necessary do x-rays, etc. Over the years the same knee will ache in winter and buckled occasionally on me. The first time it ever happened was in waves of consequence in Indo almost 2 decades ago and I copped a flogging because of it.
But I digress, since the weird thing is that yesterday morning and this morning I've gotten up and my knee feels more or less normal. I've taken an anti-inflammatory once a day, slathered it in Voltaren emugel, iced it for the first 24 hours, scoffed fish oil 3 times a day and my wife has massaged my calf and quadricep for the last 2 days.
Going to see the doc again this morning and I can't but think I will be back in the water (read today, because its still 3') sooner rather than later. Got myself a good knee stabiliser to wear in the water in readiness.
If the doc advises me to wait I may just have to take a fish out and prone a few.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri May 08, 2015 11:55 am

old grom wrote: I did not realise there was a rocker difference. Is the new model any less back footed in orientation (I must admit I liked the Zot...and a thruster Zot in Xf would be very cool...if the new nuggs are like that..).

You say they ride differently...could you elaborate?

And Cuttle - after a bit of a shaky start (found the board a bit corky...and not as good a paddle as expected...but used to simular volume with a flatter rocker..); I am starting to take a shine to the 6'8 Xf. Few points:
- bloody tough tech, I have dropped it..pushed my knee in it very hard, and had several knocks...its very strong compared to PU.

- Light as...its almost an optical illusion...this took me a while to get used to (and its harder to duck dive that the 6'8 PU), but now I am a convert.

- the rocker is all nugget..this board can take any drop and just makes it.

- CONS - still struggle with the level of backfoot orientation, and am often to far up the board...just slightly but it makes a big difference. When I am BACK I really notice the dome..

Anyway early days. Off to Indo in three weeks and trying to decide if the nugg makes my two board quiver...
I currently have an old xf 6'8, a new xf 7' and an old 6'8 DE (plus others). The xf 7' and the 6'8 DE are much more similar boards with their flatter rocker, they paddle into waves easily, are fast even without pumping, and are pretty stiff to turn. IMO the old 6'8 nugget is more of a performance board, you can reliably crank a near vertical turn with ease, doing this on the others would be much more difficult, and if things were critical I probably wouldn't try. IMO the difference in rocker is the main cause for the difference in performance.

Using a straight edge tangential 3' from the tail, on the 6'8' nugget the rocker in the tail is 1 3/4" and on the 7' is 1". Its pretty much the same difference on the rest of the nuggets, its not a one off. Rocker is often measured from the "centre" of a board, I think the above method is more useful when trying to isolate changes in the tail rocker that effect performance, as 3' from the tail and back is where you stand on a nugget.

Cuttlefish,I wouldn't get rid of the old 6'8, I've caught some great waves from 2' to 8' (not iggy sizing) on it, as they are now out of production. Indo is where it will come into its own. I too can't decide what boards to take to Indo, as I'll only take 2; the trade-off is performance verses wave catching verses duck diving.

I've corresponded with Geoff about the changes and he is saying the next batch will be different.

Hope that injury is OK before your Indo trip.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri May 08, 2015 12:34 pm

Hi cranked,
You've mixed me up with Old grom.
He's got the old 6'8" and I have the new one.
I'm the one with the injury (cleared to surf by doc this morning) and Old grom is off to Indo.
Ha, maybe pushing my turns to go vert on my new 6'8" was to blame for my knee injury...nah...no way...I'll blame my failing knee on my rough treatment of it over the years. Running down Mt Kinabalu in Borneo every 2 weeks for 3 months straight and that sort of abuse has to take its toll some time.
Carry on.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Fri May 08, 2015 2:59 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:Got myself a good knee stabiliser to wear in the water in readiness..
I found that if you wear the knee things outside of the wetsuit, no matter what kind they are, they tend to slide around as you move around the board and you end up with them rolled or or down or around your ankle. So as a tip, if you are wearing one, find some tape that wont damage the wetsuit and tape the knee thing at the top and bottom.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri May 08, 2015 3:07 pm

ctd wrote:
Cuttlefish wrote:Got myself a good knee stabiliser to wear in the water in readiness..
I found that if you wear the knee things outside of the wetsuit, no matter what kind they are, they tend to slide around as you move around the board and you end up with them rolled or or down or around your ankle. So as a tip, if you are wearing one, find some tape that wont damage the wetsuit and tape the knee thing at the top and bottom.
Ha. Good tip. \But we're in Queensland.
I've only just got out my springy for the last 2 days. And probably didn't need it. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri May 08, 2015 3:11 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:Hi cranked,
You've mixed me up with Old grom.
He's got the old 6'8" and I have the new one.
I'm the one with the injury (cleared to surf by doc this morning) and Old grom is off to Indo.
Oops
Cuttlefish wrote: Running down Mt Kinabalu in Borneo every 2 weeks for 3 months straight and that sort of abuse has to take its toll some time.
There's a story there Cuttlefish, are you going to enlighten us?

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Fri May 08, 2015 5:46 pm

Trev wrote:I've only just got out my springy for the last 2 days. And probably didn't need it. 8)
Bastards. I'm inland, its going to hit zero this week. Need to swap the shorts for long pants for the ride to work. And I cant surf.

Tape it to your legs then... :-D-:
Cranked wrote:There's a story there Cuttlefish, are you going to enlighten us?
Did you run up the mountain as well?
climbathon-racer-runs-down-mt-kinabalu-18334609.jpg
climbathon-racer-runs-down-mt-kinabalu-18334609.jpg (60.18 KiB) Viewed 11778 times