surfboard agency boards

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

JaM71
charger

Re: surfboard agency boards

Post by JaM71 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:54 pm

batoes wrote:very interesting - do they do the potbelly or zot in XF? Can you buy them direct?
According to their website zots are available from 5"6 in xf construction. Don't sell off all your bonzer fins on evil bay just yet as I am sure u could add bonzer sides & bonzer the zot up if it doesn't have MLV speed with a just a gull wing or BLEF :lol:
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:09 pm

maybe i should go back to 1990? Thruster: 6'1, 18, 2 1/8 round square tail, glass on fins - surfed it in everything...simple times!!!!
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:30 pm

I'm a bit concerned the 6'8" might make me neglect my sick little quiver.
Btw how's that blef working out for you?
Too bad I didn't know you were buying that as I have a 6" spitfire fin hand made by Phil from Alkali that I don't use which you could have trialled for FREEEeeeee (in an Adam Sandler voice).
Only a rat can win the rat race.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:54 pm

no blef action yet... I'll be sure to post a detailed review. Maybe we can do a swap depending on how much i hate it? : )
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:12 pm

I used to Matticus, but any large fin will do. Best fins were the Futures Vectors with the hatchet rear; I've still got them, but they are no use for an FCS box.

I've never had a problem with spinout, the tail holds rock solid and will carve any sort of arc that you want, courtesy of the round tail, hard edge and huge rolled V. Geoff is on a completely different trip to anyone else, and all the different features work together as a coherent whole. Just ensure that the dome is equidistant from both feet, stay there, there's no need to move. Back foot position is critical to drive the designs engine room, that 17" tail, into the water, but its the assistance provided by the huge tail rocker and rolled V that makes it work, instant turn and acceleration.

Oh, by the way, the current TSA nuggets (the ones with FCS2) are very different to all the other nuggets I've owned (most of the surftechs and earlier TSAs). They have a very flat tail rocker, I reckon they should be marketed under a different model name. I corresponded with Geoff about it, but in the end he wouldn't acknowledge the extent of the differences. I've got two of the new ones (7' and 7'6), great boards, but more like the TSA Astron Zots (faster but stiffer) with 3 fins, rather than my other Nuggets.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:45 pm

Here you go, a McCoy mini mal, best of both the surfing and hipster world

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/dockland ... 1073851376

(Wonder what McCoy would think of the description)

The Sub X also looks interesting

Cranked, where is the dome on the board - it's quite near the tail isn't it? So to be equidistant your rear foot would have to be really near the tail I assume (more short board positioning than the usual 'mid length' stance?)

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:44 am

Dome usually peaks around the front fins. I also have an 8'er, the stance is still in the same place, its just a big shortboard, moving forward is a big mistake. Its the 4th one I've owned in 15 years (sold them because they didnt 'go', only bought this one because it was dirt cheap) and I have only just realised what I had been doing wrong previously, that is thinking because it was so long I should surf it further forward.
Last edited by Cranked on Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:46 am

Where is the dome's peak on the single fins Nuggets?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:02 am

I just checked where it was on my 6'8 de xf, its at 16.5". I imagine the de is more front front footed than the other designs but the dome position is still the same. I should measure all my other boards but I can't be bothered.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:14 am

Actually Matticus, I've never tried smaller fins in any of my McCoys as Geoff has always recommended larger fins than the standard large, like 16.1", bigger even than the m7 at 15.71 and the Occy at 16.05.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:23 am

Matticus Finch wrote:MrMik did you get your Kayu wood McCoy board yet? I know it's not SurfAgency but been meaning to ask... for photos.
No, still waiting.
This seems to be an excellent way of curbing spending on new surfboards - I have not bought a new McCoy in 15 months while waiting for the wooden one. It's going to be practically cost neutral! :D

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:06 pm

Matticus, just watch the video on this page http://surfboardagency.com/mccoy-all-round-nugget/ very carefully, especially the second half and right to the end. Voila, all is revealed! This is the best explanation ever of how a nugget works.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:11 pm

I'm running accelerator Neo glass in my 6'3" xf nugget and they feel spot on. They are I believe a medium fin and I'm 90 kgs and normally like large fins.
Put a set of Kelly (the original templates in pc construction) into my 6'8" to try bu haven't surfed it yet.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:17 pm

Cuttlefish, how do you like your 6'3? Is it an old or a new XF?

I'm so goddamn bored with the lack of surf that I actually stripped the wax off the 6'6 and 6'8 that I rode in Bali all last year. They were gross, having been ridden right through the wet season and transported by bike, so picking up all the road and traffic grime. Underneath they were like new, no depressions on the 6'6, a few on the 6'8, but not noticeable.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:28 pm

Geez, I love the little bugger. Without a word of a lie I got out of the water after my first surf on it (3-4' good beachbreak waves) and straight down to the local surf shop that stocks them and bought a 6'8" as well to use in solid beachbreaks.
Mine's the newer XF. Fcs II plugs. Love its responsiveness. No corkiness and very good speed. Like the way the wide tail gives you so much support as it comes around in wrap around cut backs and also reos where the tail isn't washing out. The poly McCoys would frustrate me with their slow reaction times to my input whereas the XF does it straight away.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:55 pm

Yeah, I've never agreed with Geoff's heavy is good mantra, the lighter the better I reckon.

As I've said earlier the old and the new xf nuggets are very different. My old 6'3 had 1.5" of lift in the tail along the stringer over the last 28", new one has 0.5", so the new one is stiffer and faster, but there's no way it could ever turn like the originals. It was the best board I've ridden but I couldn't get enough waves in a crowd, still got the original 6'6 and 6'8 though, and a 7' and 7'6 in the new ones. A 6'8 de and a 7'11 surftech single rounds out the quiver. I would like a 6'6 nugget with the new rocker, but would never get rid of the originals as they can't be replaced now.

I had the 7' and de 6'8 out in good waves at Ulus and Impossibles a few weeks ago, they both went really well, the de feels about 30% faster than the new nugget and paddles in just about as well, despite giving away (supposedly) about 7l in volume. The flat, wide nose catches though and its a bit annoying, not because it pearls, but because it stops a quick turn down the line, a necessity at Impossibles. What boards to take to Indo is going to be a difficult decision now.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:33 pm

You finally got one, Matticus! Congrats, I think you'll like it a lot.

I'm getting worried that I might be missing out by not buying first gen XF McCoys, before they start skimping on quality, and/or messing around with the McCoy curves.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:24 am

Still loving my 6'3" xf nugget. Surfed it Sat & Sun mornings when it was super straight but with the odd gem to be had and its performance is continuing to suprise me. I'm with cranked...the lightness of the xf's give me what I felt was missing in the poly handshaped McCoys I had in the past.