Byron Bay - The Pass - The Video

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

aaarating
regular

Re: Byron Bay - The Pass - The Video

Post by aaarating » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:20 am

I don't understand why some entrepreneurial Great White doesn't just duck across from Julian Rocks for some takeaway?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:33 am

Jesus those crowds are farked.

Glad I don't surf there
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:03 am

I didn't hear anyone complaining out there about the crowds last Monday on a rare day of northeast swell lines from cyclone Pam.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:18 am

I couldn't surf there in that crowd. I'd be in a blue first wave.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:40 am

How do you go in a blue Trev?
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:41 am

crowding is a shame ... for half a decade in the 90's it was my favourite wave. there's probably no funner wave than the pass. even when it's bigger and hollow, it's still fun.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:43 am

Drailed wrote:How do you go in a blue Trev?
Ya win some. Ya lose some. :-o
But I can't back down. :(
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:49 am

Lol. Bit old for that arnt you...

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:59 am

Drailed wrote:Lol. Bit old for that arnt you...
Mate, it's not like it happens every day.
I don't surf Byron, Snapper or the Alley any more so the odds of it happening are low.

Haven't come to fisticuffs for a long time. The last time was defending a mate at The Bower. Two guys decided he'd hit one of them with his board. He didn't. The guy who did kept going in to the beach.

But I must admit to a very satisfying slide underneath and grab the nose of the board of the guy dropping in and dump him a few days ago.
Yank tourist. I expected more when I got back out but he studiously ignored me.
Haven't done that since I was a kid when the lack of leg ropes normally meant the offender's board ended up on the rocks.
Beanpole

Skipper

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:00 am

trev sounds like a one man wolfpack.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:03 am

Moderrating in his blood.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:05 am

Braithy wrote:trev sounds like a one man wolfpack.
A very old one though. #*!
Beanpole

Skipper

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:50 am

In 2002 I made the mistake of accepting a position with the nightmare that is the local council and so became a temporary local for a temporary time. I first visited the place as a grommet in 1973 and surfed at the pass on a hand me down twin fin as they were the board of the moment. I can recall even 42 years ago, whilst it wasn't as crowded as that insanity, it was no secret spot! Alas, my boyhood dream of Byron circa 73 became the nightmare reality in 2002. I did go out on a mal on New Year's Day 2003 when i stopped counting at 83 other boards in the water. I only went in because someone pulled out of a car park right in front of me so I felt obliged. I sat furthest out for 25 minutes and fluked a set wave. I was joined on that wave and ran over many people but just kept apologising, saying sorry instead of yelling f***k off. That strategy can help keep an old man out of fights Trev! That was the impetus to quit and get out quick. As they say the best thing coming out of poor old Byron is the Pacific Highway. It's like the movie title. no Country for Old Men.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:51 pm

Last two surfs at the Pass...with junior when he was about 13 and 15 respectively. Paddled out. It was small. Had the mal. Ran into someone on the beach from Bondi. Paddled out. No real hassles. Then this black guy...not aboriginal, didn't really look Polynesian either started making a point of dropping in and/ or snaking every wave I went for. It was weird and he would smile when he did it. Pulled one move where he took off inside me and then banked right under my board. Much more extreme than a regular fade. Really weird and I got out pissed off.

Last one rocked up with my Fish. Smaller and way more crowded than the other time. Took off on the far rock and snared quite a few right through the crowd. Left the water stoked.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:44 am

Beanpole wrote: Then this black guy...not aboriginal, didn't really look Polynesian either started making a point of dropping in and/ or snaking every wave I went for. It was weird and he would smile when he did it. Pulled one move where he took off inside me and then banked right under my board. Much more extreme than a regular fade. Really weird and I got out pissed off.
Piss weak Trev would have slingshotted his board directly into the fcukers face with the intent on taking out an eye.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:10 am

Just ride a Bic there...clang, clang, bang, bang, ooops, sorry about that...party wave anyone, clang, clang, bang, bang, laughter.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:16 am

Do the dive boats still launch there? Didn't see any in the drone show. That was always the height of insanity on those crowded days aka any day of the week ending with a 'Y' :wink:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:58 pm

I surfed it heaps this summer. My head was right it was easy to get waves . Bank was so good I rode every wave from speccies to the cafe.
You have to manhandle loose boards and keep a very tight D around the head.
Vibe was very happy.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes