Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Wubic Pig
Harry the Hat

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Wubic Pig » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:21 am

Poetic licence.

I'm eating breakfast watching the cams on the Goldy - someone dicking around on a jetski at Kirra. Some nice looking walls coming through Greenmount - when's this connest start? Are they going to get waves?
Beanpole wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:44 pm
You have nothing I want or need.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:23 am

i haven't looked at any cams, bar the CW currumbin one ... but took a little drive.

kirra is a write-off with the sweep & skis. it'd be pot luck paddling that, you'd either luck right into a bomb or just drift to bilinga before you could say, "anything's pozzible". saw some guys jump off at snapper and by the time they got out the back they were at greeny and travelling at the speed of light in the rip ... seems to breaking okay there, just really wide.

hard to make much of the comp bank in today's conditions, but y'day as the high tide approached there looked like there was a big hole forming around little marley... the telltale sign; the wides ones starting to break left back into into it.

so... it'll probs be like the last few years. if we get swell the 'commisioner' will have to navigate the comp around the tides, juggling mens & womens together. all in all it makes for a pretty stop-start unspectacular shindig.

i'm more excited about pete evans shiny white teeth on mkr to be honest.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:16 am

Dont they just turn the sand pumps on for a few days and presto super bank?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:41 am

nah its a bit of a science. if the current (running north) is running too fast like it is today and had been the last week, all the sand deposits at north kirra/ bilinga.

if, like last year, there's a E/NE swell and winds and the reverse rip is running the sand gets fired back into the tweed river mouth, hence they won't even switch it on.

they'd need a nice 2-3' of swell with some moderate S/SSE winds to run the pump effectively ... and depending on the size of the hole, it can take several weeks to properly fill up. I'd imagine they'd need a week minimum (of perfect pumping conditions) to fill the current hole.

plus after all this sustained swell we've had, by the law of averages it's really hard to imagine another run like it anytime soon.

the comp outlook could be small and grovelling in the giant hole around tidal little marley.

bleh
Kunji wrote:

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:18 pm

Fantastic so what about that Kirra bank that they use skis and do step offs onto will that get a showing?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:03 pm

Kirra needs twice the swell snapper needs... I don't think we'll get that.
Kunji wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:10 am

Dunno Braith....I know your up there but I;m seeing another sustained tradewind swell pattern forming as of this weekend with potential for a Kirra finish if any (potential) tropical developments come to fruition.

Forecast glass deffo looks way more than half full to me.

Sand might be the biggest issue but as long as there is some kind of SE bias to the wind they can pump.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:37 am

lol 16 day forecasts
Kunji wrote:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:38 am

Now that's out of my system... Yeah you could be right. Trades for days on the way.

Praise be to seabresus
Kunji wrote:

scot
regular

Post by scot » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:47 am

I don't think the banks fared to badly actually. I took a few screen grabs from one of the cams that shows the banks before and after the storm. I tried to get them all around about low tide.
18th
19th
23rd
today

Not sure what its like behind the rock but I reckon if it stays around this size it will be pretty good.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:59 am

How many aliases do you have Matson? :lol:

The bank's deteriorated heaps, the CW camera shows it much better ... Go watch it on high and the left is starting break.

be interesting to see the Kirra effect on the superwank if there's any. Rainbow used to be a natural lagoon while the sand all sat out deeper in the bay and lined the old headland at greeny.

As Kirra takes a little more shape from the rock extension and little groyne starts exposing herself... I wonder if the lagoon at rainbow will reappear and with it, will greeny come back?

Be good to dream.
Kunji wrote:

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:23 am

the bank has shit itself, compared to what it was

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:28 am

Yeah. Even watching it this morning at dead low it's fast, almost a closeout thru little M and all through the bay.

Greeny still looked good though.

You surf it? I'm gonna have a look at the beachies after lunch. Maybe on the high they'll be good?
Kunji wrote:

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:34 pm

I was on the beach at Snapper this morning. Some exciting 50 metre rides from behind the rock, though most waves didn't really do it. Nothing really much from outside Little Marley thru to half way across Rainbow Bay. Then some walling waves from the half way mark and into Greenmount. Looked pretty, a grand spectacle, but not breaking hard, guys just cruising trying not to roll off the back. Until a bit of a faster section as you entered Greenmount. Really crowded.
Kolohe Andino jogged past me. Handsome dude. The longer hair is working for him.

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:59 pm

Um, Braithy that is the CW cam and Ben wouldn't be posting screenies of their cam, haha.

Also, you're correct with the reverse current on east swells, but.. all the wave action is pushing down the points to the north and this is where all the sand is being transported.

The reverse rip is a small channel running the other way which would be insignificant in relation to the amount of sand being transported by longshore drift to the north by the wave and swell action.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:48 pm

Braithy wrote:Yeah. Even watching it this morning at dead low it's fast, almost a closeout thru little M and all through the bay.

Greeny still looked good though.

You surf it? I'm gonna have a look at the beachies after lunch. Maybe on the high they'll be good?

no my ankle is fucked from that big fin cut, haven't surfed since saturday.
spewing cos when I surfed Kirra on friday I blew it on the wrong boards (a 5'9 was too small), wanted to take my old 6'9" T&C thumbtail out for max paddle power.

looked kinda fun just down the road from mine this morning too.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:27 pm

Stop it. It's not fair.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:38 pm

SAsurfa wrote:Um, Braithy that is the CW cam and Ben wouldn't be posting screenies of their cam, haha.

Also, you're correct with the reverse current on east swells, but.. all the wave action is pushing down the points to the north and this is where all the sand is being transported.

The reverse rip is a small channel running the other way which would be insignificant in relation to the amount of sand being transported by longshore drift to the north by the wave and swell action.
Haha. I knew that. Ben's the only guy I know who screenshots and archives cam footage. Well Ben and now Scot.

You reckon there's any chance greeny rocks will come back if little groyne is? And would that mean the big gutter and lagoon at rainbow?

I can't see how extending big groyne could have such a big effect... But maybe?
Kunji wrote: